Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2001 7:15:43 AM EDT
My favorite rifle range is not the closest by far.  It's forty miles away (not a big thing when you've got a Valentine One radar detector [}:D]) and nestled in a wetland valley.  It has an inexpensive yearly membership with no range fees, is kept up like a golf course and is regularly, but not heavily, used (except around hunting season).

Best of all are the other folks that shoot there.  Unlike the closer ranges, which appear to be the private clubs of the small clique that created them who deign to tollerate those others that join because of the money such serfs provide to keep their little kingdom solvent, my favorite range is egalatarian and welcoming.  There's no 1-round-per-mag rule and no cold looks of concern when my black and camo rifles are benched and the occasional double tap is taken.  There is frequent gun swapping as we check out each other's setups.  I frequently see entire families; fathers, mothers, sons and daughers, there shooting together.  I've never felt threatened or endangered by those who've shot next to me and I've never picked up that vibe from them either regarding me.

In fact my favorite range is used frequently by the local LEOs, one of whom is a former Marine and one of the best AR gurus I've ever had the pleasure to meet.  Class III shooters are an occasional treat to meet there, too.  I've seen ARs, AKs and even an MP-40 let loose down in the dale, especially as of late.

In short I'm lucky to have such a great place to shoot.  How about you?
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#1]
the range near my house.  they allow FA no one gives a damn how fast you shoot the gun or how many rounds are in the magazine as long as your safe and legal  
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#2]
My RO, he'll help anyone with their gun problems and is really good at keeping the gangbangers out.  He also organizes group buys of hazmat stuff to cut down on shipping charges.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
My favorite also isn't the closest. It has:

Concrete tables.

100 and 300 yrd shooting ranges

Allows prone, bench, and standing shooting

Very SUR rifle friendly

Helpful and safe staff
and all around bunch of good people who shoot there.

that range is called Sac Valley Shooting Center[:)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
The Old Fart RO's that don't allow you to do anything!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#5]
My 3 favorites.

The closest with 25-300 yards available
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/028/bJ/SS/cM/8P45481.jpg [/img]

Out back in my own yard, but am limited to 200 feet.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/029/JU/YN/k8/2i37037.jpg[/img]

Monumental GC near Baltimore 2.5 hr drive away.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/010/Kg/Fr/uU/Ow16669.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Gee, Delmarksman.  you sure are a young lookin' fella.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Range is 12 minutes away, goes out to 300M, and I have key to gate. Nuff said...!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#8]
All the people milling about. The self appointed range police.[pistol]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My favorite rifle range is not the closest by far.  It's forty miles away (not a big thing when you've got a Valentine One radar detector [}:D]) and nestled in a wetland valley.  It has an inexpensive yearly membership with no range fees, is kept up like a golf course and is regularly, but not heavily, used (except around hunting season).
View Quote

Spill the beans. Where is this range???
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Less than five minutes from my house, outdoor rifle, outdoor pistol, mutiple trap/skeet, indoor pistol where you can shoot lead or jacketed pistol calibers up to .50, and good people with nobody hasling you about what you shoot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
It's provided by the Department of Conservation so it's free, and you can shoot any gun you want there. Hard to beat. Except 100 yards is the longest range. Well, guess you can't have everything.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/038/jk/Om/Z4/IF97396.jpg[/img]
Cuz I can shoot at whatever I want to drag out there !
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
$10 flat rate subgun rentals.  Two UZIs, an MP5, a Thompson, and a few that I can't remember the names of.. Some Steyr, and a Colt AR variant chambered for 9mm.  You can bring your own targets and ammo.

This is Bullseye in Lawrenceville, GA in case anyone is interested. :)

Oh, and they let me shoot my Tromix 50AE on the pistol range.  [}:D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]
My fav range is the Georgia DNR range at Ocmulgee.  It is free, unsupervised, and the shooters are safety conscious. 37 miles from home, Diary Queen 4 miles away. My local PD range is open every 3rd Sat of the month but they want you to log in serial numbers and sign some papers, blah, blah, blah.  I will not go there just on the Ser No issue alone.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Here, we are not that lucky.  The only thing great about the public range here is that it is the only public range on this island.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Two ranges about 40 min from home.  All the best ammenities.  1. Free  2. usually not crowded on a weekday.  3. Unsupervised.  

Now everybody is going to think I am cheap, antisocial, and anti authority.  Oh well......
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I work for a local utility company that has a pistol range located on its land near the reserviors.  The local PD uses it, but after-hours it's deserted.  And as long as no one else is there, you can set up further back and shoot rifles up to about 75 yards.  Completely free and only five minutes from home.  Of course, I would like to be able to shoot longer ranges, but otherwise it's a great deal.  Plus all the free once-fired brass I can eat.  [;)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#19]
it is the only one open to the public for 75mi or so
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#20]
sgtar15, Sac Valley is a really good facility. When people are too far north of us, I send them there. Richard gave me a complete tour. I love that range. It's always the people you meet on the range, or in the rangehouse, that make the difference.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#21]
My favorite range is six hours drive time, is only open two days a year, and has explosive targets set up out to 600 yards.

I can't wait for next year. . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top