Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Who watches Anime? (Page 125 of 742)
Page / 742
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Ai Tenchi Muyo!

So what is it with these series that are 5 mins of show?

Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai Specials
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:53:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jimbo45] [#2]
Oh well
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bradbn4:

Ai Tenchi Muyo!

View Quote

Its a lot faster and cheaper to produce a 5 minute episode than it is a 20 minute episode.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:

Its a lot faster and cheaper to produce a 5 minute episode than it is a 20 minute episode.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
Ai Tenchi Muyo!

And its not always a bad thing either. Yama no Susume was only 5min per episode in season one and only "15 minutes" (true run time for rips is 13.5min) and it works, the only frustration is having to wait a week for the next fix.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:42:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bullet_:
Akame ga Kill!
View Quote

This series ended this weekend very differently than the usual anime.
That said, honestly, I still can't recommend it as anything other than for a time kill.

Both the main characters and the secondary characters are unlovable, and therefore you just don't care about them.
So the story runs from one deadly battle to another.
It's as if all 24 episodes of the show are the anonymous soldier fight scene fillers used in war movies to set the stage for the protagonist have been strung together with blood and no compelling protagonist ever appears.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:06:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rtran] [#6]
neckbeard troll?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rtran:
neckbeard troll?
View Quote

You've got to try harder than that 13er Otaku.

Give a review stating why you think otherwise or don't post at all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Last episode of SAO season 2 coming this Saturday.

This season's been underwhelming compared to the first one.  The Phantom Bullet arc was decent but the series has just kind of wandered around aimlessly for the latter half.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:

This season's been underwhelming compared to the first one.  The Phantom Bullet arc was decent but the series has just kind of wandered around aimlessly for the latter half.
View Quote

Hard to beat the original Aincrad arc.  

The Phantom Bullet arc was two volumes of the novels. (volumes 5 & 6)  

The second half of the first season (the Fairy Dance arc) was also two volumes of the novels.  (volumes 3 & 4)

The first half of the first season (Aincrad arc) was volume 1, volume 2, part of volume 8, and some other material that eventually made it's way into volume 1 of Sword Art Online: Progressive.

The episodes since the end of the Phantom Bullet arc have covered the Caliber arc (part of volume 8) and Mother's Rosario (volume 7).  They're using up the story material that is available from the novels.  Next would be the Alicization arc, but it hasn't been finished, yet (it's the longest arc, so far).  Or they could go back and fill in the gaps in the original Aincrad arc (which is the purpose of Sword Art Online: Progressive).

The Yen Press English translations of volumes 1 & 2 of Sword Art Online: Progressive are already available for pre-order on Amazon.  Volume 1 covers the full story that was shown as a very condensed version in episode 2 of the first season of the anime, then covers what happens on the second floor of Aincrad.  Volume 2 should pick up the story as Kirito and Asuna set foot on the third floor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ImpulseTaco:
Which ones?

For Me:
Full Metal Panic II
Trigun
FLCL
Fruits Basket
Chobits
Ceres
View Quote

DBZ!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

The Mother's Rosario Arc was my least favorite from the light novels as well.

The next arc is huge. Ginormous. And not finished. It is basically as long as everything else combined.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By David_ESM:

The next arc is huge. Ginormous. And not finished. It is basically as long as everything else combined.
View All Quotes

clif notes?

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

As I see it, the problem with the current series is the lack of a common story element.  All these arcs may work fine as separate novels/manga (don't know, haven't read any of them yet), but there needs to be at least one story element linking them together in order to make one continuous anime series work.

Aincrad/Fairy Dance increasingly seems like lightning in a bottle.  There, the transition between arcs went smoothly because the relationship between the two leads was still an active part of the story.  Thus the audience's motivation remained constant between arcs.  It's not much and at times it's in the background, but it's enough.

From what you guys say, Alicization and Progressive both seem to have enough meat to them to where the series could approach what it was in the beginning.  Maybe we'll see in a few years.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

As I see it, the problem with the current series is the lack of a common story element.  All these arcs may work fine as separate novels/manga (don't know, haven't read any of them yet), but there needs to be at least one story element linking them together in order to make one continuous anime series work.

Aincrad/Fairy Dance increasingly seems like lightning in a bottle.  There, the transition between arcs went smoothly because the relationship between the two leads was still an active part of the story.  Thus the audience's motivation remained constant between arcs.  It's not much and at times it's in the background, but it's enough.

From what you guys say, Alicization and Progressive both seem to have enough meat to them to where the series could approach what it was in the beginning.  Maybe we'll see in a few years.

The light novels contain plenty of real life scenes that help make it feel more cohesive. Hanging out outside of the VR worlds.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By OhioLongRange:

clif notes?
View All Quotes

clif notes?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

clif notes?

Click To View Spoiler
Narnia: The Anime

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:36:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vuong0916] [#17]
Is there a site I can stream all the dbz? Also 2 good baseball anime major and ace of diamond
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Vuong0916:

Is there a site I can stream all the dbz? Also 2 good baseball anime major and ace of diamond
View Quote
Try Anime Freak TV

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

In some ways, Progressive is what the series was in the beginning, and in other ways it's better.

The author kept going back and writing additional material, to randomly fill in the blanks (missing floors) of the original Aincrad arc.  Some of those filled in gaps made it into the first season of the anime, while others did not.  Progressive was his editor's (or publisher's?) idea for forcing him to WRITE THINGS IN ORDER and do it in a format that they could publish, instead of the material occasionally making it into a later volume of the novels, but often being done as a side story web release or a doujinshi.

Aria in the Starless Night was one of those side stories, and it was later rewritten as the first section of volume 1 of Sword Art Online: Progressive.  A shortened (they cut about half of it) version of that side story became episode 2 of the first season of the anime.  The rest of Progressive volume 1 is rewrites of side stories that were originally released (in incomplete/unfinished form) as doujinshi.  

The anime introduces Asuna at the 1st floor boss raid planning meeting in episode 2, and she parts ways with Kirito at the end of that episode, as Kirito walks up the stairs to the 2nd floor.  She doesn't show up again until the 56th floor.

In Progressive, Kirito has already saved Asuna's life, by the time of that boss raid planning meeting.  They part ways after the floor boss is defeated, but Asuna tracks Kirito down within a few days, and they resume their 2 member party.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I read progressive up to the "Return" since that's the last chapter I could find. What's next?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:34:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#21]
The fan translations that I was reading, got about halfway through Rondo of the Transient Sword (third section of Progressive volume 1), before Yen Press licensed the Progressive novels and the fan translations were removed.

Amazon lists Sword Art Online Progressive volume 1 with a release date of March 24, 2015, and Sword Art Online Progressive volume 2 with a release date of June 23, 2015.

The first chapter of Progressive volume 2 was released as a doujinshi, quite some time ago.  Kirito and Asuna are the first to enter the 3rd floor, and Kirito suggests that they attempt to start a quest that spans several floors.  "Attempt" to start it, because starting the quest involves joining a difficult battle and completing certain conditions before the battle is over.  Kirito had attempted this quest in the beta, but this time the battle ends with an unexpected result.

ETA:  Yen Press has already released English translations of Sword Art Online volume 1 (the original Aincrad arc), Sword Art Online volume 2 (additional material for the Aincrad arc), and Sword Art Online volume 3 (first half of Fairy Dance).  

Sword Art Online volume 4 (second half of Fairy Dance) is scheduled for release April 21, 2015.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:30:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#22]
[     ]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Just downloaded Episode 11 of Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru.
I am actually afraid to watch it, because I have to work tonight and I don't want to start crying at work. I am worried I wont be over it in 12 hours.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Rakuen Tsuihou: Expelled From Paradise

I was hunting down something new to watch and this was just posted the site I was browsing.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#27]

I was hunting down something new to watch and this was just posted the site I was browsing.

http://whatispopularinjapanrightnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/rakuen-tsuiho-expelled-from-paradise.png
View Quote

I saw that. It was pretty good, though about 2/3 of the way in, the end seemed too predictable.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Eukatae:
Some really great stories in anime but it seems like most of it contains elements that drives me nuts:

Why are anime producers so obsessed with women's underwear and shredding blouses? This is often coupled with a grass-eater that is miraculous the object of obsession for scores of scantily clad girls. Makes me wonder what the fuck is going on with Japanese men.

There is often some early teen male protagonist that whines, screams, cry, pouts, blusters, and bullies; so fucking irritating.

A lot of poorly timed emotional crisis; crying about the abuses of my evil stepmother while the alien rape-o-matic is killing my friends. Really you can't get over your own silly shit for 5 minutes to fuck up the bad guys.... I get why they do it, but it is a stupid way to try and create drama.

View Quote

There is an insane amount of tropes in anime. When one breaks formula it's easy to see them as fresh.
FLCL really riffed on these tropes and upended them. It was the 1st anime I ever watched and it was a few years of watching others that made me appreciate it that much more. I guess you could say the same about cop dramas and revenge movies here in the states. The difference is that I have watched 40years of those and only 5 or ten years of anime. I like the insights anime provides into Japanese culture and the quirky aspects of foreign storytelling.

What really led me to enjoy anime is that I spent 20 years as a designer and illustrator. I am blown away by the talent that the artists have to put a drawing I could never emulate into motion for 24 minutes. I read manga for the same reason. Sometimes there will be one panel that is so well crafted it makes all the reading worth it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't watch it.  But I do have a co-worker who does, lets call him Paul.  I find it amusing how another co-worker enjoys watching WWE wrastling, lets call him Vince.  The amusing part is Paul will rip Vince for watching something "fake/staged".  Vince defends himself by stating its like "adult cartoons", they get hit by tables and chairs but like in cartoons, they don't really get hurt.  Vince will rip on Paul for watching actual 'cartoons', will always go on with a story about "when he was a kid he used to watch cartoons, then he grew up and started watch wrastling".  This goes on back and forth, like little kids in grade school....

Sometimes reality is much more interesting than whats on TV.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
What really led me to enjoy anime is that I spent 20 years as a designer and illustrator. I am blown away by the talent that the artists have to put a drawing I could never emulate into motion for 24 minutes. I read manga for the same reason. Sometimes there will be one panel that is so well crafted it makes all the reading worth it.
View Quote

If you haven't, go watch DYRL? some time. Amazing animation quality that still holds up three decades later.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Heh, bout time for me to catch up on that show.  Her solution to just about everything; shoot it.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Just finished the Irregular at magic high school.

holy shit that was awesome, the main character is the best.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Jonny712:

View Quote

The novels gave them the perfect opportunity for a beach episode, and they left it out.  

Still a good show.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JPN:

The novels gave them the perfect opportunity for a beach episode, and they left it out.  

Still a good show.
View All Quotes

Still a good show.

Very good show. Makes me sad that there isn't more and I can't find translations of the light novels.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jonny712] [#36]

oh shit, I didn't know they were making an anime.

that has the potential to be epic

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Tribalgeek:

Very good show. Makes me sad that there isn't more and I can't find translations of the light novels.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tribalgeek:

Still a good show.

The anime covered volumes 1 through 7, but pretty much skipped the material in volume 5 (which included the trip to the beach).  There's at least 14 volumes, and at least 13 have been translated by fans.

Do a search on the Japanese title ( Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei ) and you should be able to find them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#38]
got caught up on Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru, that show really hits you with the feels.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#39]
Speaking of artwork, one manga I wish would become an anime would be "Blame!"  The artwork and the amazing variety of cyborg and machine life in that series was wild, I'd spend countless minutes trying to figure out what was happening in some of the art panels.  It really seems they were inspired by H.R. Giger.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#40]

either going to be censored to shit or they will go a whole other way
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Speaking of artwork, one manga I wish would become an anime would be "Blame!"  The artwork and the amazing variety of cyborg and machine life in that series was wild, I'd spend countless minutes trying to figure out what was happening in some of the art panels.  It really seems they were inspired by H.R. Giger.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv228/Killy32/DavineluLinvega.png

https://drexstar.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/6660a43b439e270a30376f4cc053b31c.png

http://wiki.rpg.net/images/c/c9/Blame_SL.jpg

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1371/97/1371975202776.jpg
View Quote

Same author as Knights of Sidonia, right?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Your right, it's  Tsutomu Nihei.  I still have to check out Knights of Sidonia yet.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Got a link to the manga? I looked; but the one I found was about some boys and mystical powers.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:51:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#44]
[     ]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#45]
R

View All Quotes

https://drexstar.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/6660a43b439e270a30376f4cc053b31c.png

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-19/tsutomu-nihei-blame-manga-gets-animated-in-knights-of-sidonia/.81235

Blame is getting some sort of adaptation. However, I think it's a difficult manga to adapt. Not much dialogue or complex character interaction - its mostly atmospheric.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:39:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni] [#46]
Preorder part one of Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works before it's too late

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/tGT-9D3I=BTME7UeMC/browse/item/104328/4/0/0

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:25:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#47]
Thanks for the info Apec, yea your right, it's a lot of atmosphere with little dialog.  Some of the art panels depicting a lot of action can get confusing on what's happening, it would be neat to see it adapted to full motion video someday.  I got the chance to check out the first minute of Knights of Sidonia..... Hooked already.

Looks like someone is doing an adaptation of the Blame! manga in a CGI format.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cKpGSQB3LM
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Reminds me of this guy a little.

http://manga.clone-army.org/

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#49]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2897877/Scarlett-Johansson-star-film-adaptation-popular-anime-Ghost-Shell.html

Scarlett Johansson 'will star in a film adaptation of the popular anime Ghost In The Shell'

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#50]
A certain scientific railgun is pretty good so far.
Page / 742
Who watches Anime? (Page 125 of 742)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top