BCM
User Panel

Who watches Anime? (Page 168 of 742)
Page / 742
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGStiles] [#2]
I strongly recommend all of you to watch all of these.

Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Episodes 1-3 - Team Four Star (TFS)

Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Episodes 4-5 - Team Four Star (TFS)

Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Episode 06 - Team Four Star (TFS)

Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Episode 7 - Team Four Star (TFS)
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:54:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SGStiles:
Haven't watched anything this season but I found this.

"four girls sit there for 20 minutes each episode revealing their bellies"
View Quote

...because you have to show your belly when you say you're sorry.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JPN:

View Quote
I thought you had to bow @JPN
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You obviously haven't watched the first episode of Urara Meirochou.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Obviously not
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I feel like I should
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
And @JPN if you haven't watched normal Hellsing (English dub is WAY better in this case) it's awesome. Make sure it's Hellsing Ultimate, the 10 part OVA. And the Abridged by TFS is awesome as well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel like I should
View Quote

I think I've watched two episodes of it, so far (already behind on several shows).  I don't know if it'll hold my interest, but the belly thing was funny and it seemed like they may be setting it up as a running gag.

"teacher gets uncomfortably close with school girls under the excuse of research"

More like they are using it as an excuse to get closer to him.  He's mostly clueless.  Demi-chan wa Kataritai hits some serious issues, while mixing in some comedy.

"atheist jerk turns op psycho death loli, because Nazis yanderes and lolis are good combos"

It takes at least two episodes of Youjo Senki to figure out what's really going on.  The first episode can leave you thinking the main character is pure evil.  The second and third episodes twist it into a story of an atheist (who is a complete asshole with no empathy/sympathy/whatever for other people) being told by God 'you will become spiritual and learn to pray to me, or else' then getting thrown into one ridiculous situation after another, each one aimed at changing the main character's attitude.  

"Himouto Umaru-chan but no incest and with demons and angels"

Brings into question the assumption that angels are good, and demons are bad.  Good for some laughs.

"Yuu is in an unrealistic position as he must decide between an egotistical fruitcake and a sweet pop idol"

First he's got to realize that he's in that position.  Takes him forever to realize that one girl is after him.  Who knows how long it will take him to realize how many other girls are after him.  I thought it was interesting, at first, then it started looking too much like 'clueless guy with a harem of girls chasing him'.

I haven't watched any Hellsing.  I'll add it to the list.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]

I haven't watched any Hellsing.  I'll add it to the list.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone seen "Terror in Resonance"? It's made by Shinichiro Watanabe
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Tanya Making Anime Great Again

When you don't have a visa - Youjo Senki
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:53:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: radia] [#13]
Watching some of the new stuff on Crunchyroll...

Seiren - mildly ecchi story about an awkward high-school guy - looks like he's going to reluctantly assemble a harem.

Chaos;Child - teenagers somehow get involved with tracking down the perpetrators of a series of bizarro, perhaps supernatural murders, looks like it has a plot line that I've seen before, with experiments by mad scientists to "improve" human abilities that have gone horribly wrong, intrepid detectives pursuing the case, long-ago childhood memories that somehow have a connection to the strange things that are going on.

Masamune-kun's Revenge - is this a tsundere story with a twist?

ETA: Maybe I'm wrong about Seiren - rather than assembling a harem, it's starting to take on some vibes of Rashomon.

I won't go beyond that...
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:36:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#14]
[     ]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Are there any good, dubbed, steampunk style animes?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
View Quote

The Steamboy movie is the first that comes to mind.

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri ran for a season, last year, but I don't know off the top of my head if it is available dubbed.

There are some that are not quite steampunk, but are similar, though with not so much emphasis on steam.  

Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, and Last Exile are the first ones I can think of.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By radia:
Watching some of the new stuff on Crunchyroll...

Seiren - mildly ecchi story about an awkward high-school guy - looks like he's going to reluctantly assemble a harem.

Chaos;Child - teenagers somehow get involved with tracking down the perpetrators of a series of bizarro, perhaps supernatural murders, looks like it has a plot line that I've seen before, with experiments by mad scientists to "improve" human abilities that have gone horribly wrong, intrepid detectives pursuing the case, long-ago childhood memories that somehow have a connection to the strange things that are going on.

Masamune-kun's Revenge - is this a tsundere story with a twist?

ETA: Maybe I'm wrong about Seiren - rather than assembling a harem, it's starting to take on some vibes of Rashomon.

I won't go beyond that...
View Quote

I believe Seiren is based on a VN and it is going to show 3x different girls "arcs" without the main protagonist actually ever sealing the deal... /shrug

Masamune-kun's Revenge has been entertaining so far.

Saga of Tanya the Evil, Konosuba season 2 and Interviews With Monster Girls are all excellent so far as well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri ran for a season, last year, but I don't know off the top of my head if it is available dubbed.

There are some that are not quite steampunk, but are similar, though with not so much emphasis on steam.  

Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, and Last Exile are the first ones I can think of.
View All Quotes

I Think I remember Steam Boy and Last Exile. Did like Exile, IIRC. I'll try to find those others. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#19]

I Think I remember Steam Boy and Last Exile. Did like Exile, IIRC. I'll try to find those others. Thanks.
View Quote

There's a sequel to Last Exile.

Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing, as I recall.  It has some of the characters from Last Exile, but not all of them, and introduces new ones.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:13:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2alpha-down0] [#20]
Got my copy on the way @SGStiles.

Nichijou on Bluray
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:
Got my copy on the way @SGStiles.

Nichijou on Bluray
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BMCBreeder:
Start Here

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Start Here

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Nichijou on Bluray
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Start Here

View Quote
I'm going to sign up for the Army this summer as a 12B
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: radia] [#27]
Just started watching Rewrite Season 2.

Season 1 was just OK. A lot of things that I've seen before (and I've been watching anime for not very long - what - certainly less than a year?), and a few that I haven't. It kept my interest at least, leading to an unexpectedly emotional last episode and a strong desire for a red ribbon and a can of vending machine coffee.

So far, season 2 has been turning everything that I thought I knew on its head - the writers are playing games with my mind, and I'm not objecting. I'll have another coffee, please.

And after watching a few more episodes from season 2 I'm finding that it's an extraordinary experience that they have crafted.

From what I've been reading, season 1 was highly compressed compared with the original source material, which would explain a lot of holes in the story. There's much more going on here than I can even understand.  But I'm liking it...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Started Gakkou Gurashi today with no other clue about it other than that it had zombies.

I sort of lost focus on the first ep and started thinking I was watching the wrong show until the last few minutes, where I was caught very off guard. Holy Shit.

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:26:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#29]
[     ]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#30]

There's a sequel to Last Exile.

Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing, as I recall.  It has some of the characters from Last Exile, but not all of them, and introduces new ones.
View Quote

Okay, I just finished watching Fam the Silver Wing, and I must ask, WTF did I just watch? The big bad's overarching evil plot made no fucking sense whatsoever, and the way things were resolved made even less. Add to that, there are obviously things necessary to understand the story that aren't in it. There was apparently some manga action between the two series wherein major things happened to major characters.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Darkstar117:

Shit gets super cereal later in the series.
The question is, "Has Yuki really gone mad?"
View Quote

A few episodes into it...

I suddenly have the strangest desire to carry a shovel with me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:33:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#32]
[     ]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#33]
The lyrics for the Youjo Senki op and ed fit the show pretty well.

Youjo Senki opening Full?MYTH & ROID - JINGO JUNGLE??ENG Sub?

Youjo Senki Ending Eng Sub [Los! Los! Los!]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:53:52 AM EDT
[#34]
What is the deal with anime characters running with their arms pointing behind them?

I've seen a lot of it - and it looks very unnatural.

Is it done because it takes less work than animating realistic-looking swinging arms?

Or is it something that a certain group of animators does, as a mark of their style or brand?

Or maybe it has become a trope, like the scene with all of the characters in the anime together in a group shot, with their hair blowing in the wind, because it is 'expected'? Or like the stylized emotional-state graphics, like the bulging veins icon or the dripping sweat or snot, or the transformation of the character into a child? Or is it like the animators making subtle changes to the opening or closing artwork that only a dedicated otaku would notice, just so that dedicated otaku would notice?

Or something else?

Do they 'run' that way in Manga too?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:58:14 AM EDT
[#35]
What is the deal with anime characters running with their arms pointing behind them?

Is it done because it takes less work than animating realistic-looking swinging arms?

Or is it something that a certain group of animators does, as a mark of their style or brand?

Or maybe it has become a trope, like the scene with all of the characters in the anime together in a group shot, with their hair blowing in the wind, because it is 'expected'? Or like the stylized emotional-state graphics, like the bulging veins icon or the dripping sweat or snot, or the transformation of the character into a child? Or is it like the animators making subtle changes to the opening or closing artwork that only a dedicated otaku would notice, just so that dedicated otaku would notice?

Or something else?

View Quote

Japanese people just run like that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:01:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Or something else?

View Quote

There was a time in Hollywood where they did it as well. Not sure who started it, but keep in mind that the Japanese aren't exactly a gun culture, and they probably look to old American movies to determine proper gun handling.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:00:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Or something else?

View Quote

From what I've googled, people claim that's how samurai used to run. Who knows, I'm not a weaboo and weaboos think Jap swords are folded so much because they're superior and amazing; when in reality it's because their steel was shit
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:

From what I've googled, people claim that's how samurai used to run. Who knows, I'm not a weaboo and weaboos think Jap swords are folded so much because they're superior and amazing; when in reality it's because their steel was shit
View Quote
Oh they were folded, but also shit. European spring steel is where it's at.
THIS

IS WAY BETTER THAN THIS

And European fighting style is way dirtier and more effective. Every part of their sword has a function and can be used to harm somebody or defend yourself.

You may say, well those swords aren't sharp. That's bullshit they're extremely sharp, it's all in how you hold it.

Take a sharp knife, press it very hard against your hand, now don't slide it, just press hard. You will not be cut.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh and Europeans used shields, and better armor.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:24:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gas__Operated] [#41]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:

View Quote

Yes, the most commonly accepted explanation is that samurai would run with their edged weapons held behind their backs when running to prevent accidental seppuku if they tripped on a tree root
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#42]

And European fighting style is way dirtier and more effective. Every part of their sword has a function and can be used to harm somebody or defend yourself.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z_3g3oeTJco/TINNWzAlZyI/AAAAAAAAAB4/BtbBLsPD-7o/s1600/murder+stroke.jpg
View Quote

"Murder-stroke"

Automatically better.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I like Anime, but only have Netflix and Amazon.  Netflix choices suck.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BuckGodot:
View Quote
CrunchyRoll does have a free service. You might have to deal with some ads, not full HD, and you have to wait a week or two for new episodes. But you still get a lot for nothing over there.

I started doing the free, but ended up paying for it after a couple months and have no regrets.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BuckGodot:
View Quote

netflix has some good shows, so does hulu.

Crunchyroll is a bargain though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Bad translation It's not "Attack on Titan" it's "Advance of the Giants" or "Giants' Advance"
View Quote

That was the point of what I said as "advance of the giants" the story has a deeper meaning if the Protagonist possesses the power of the "Advancing Giant." Also when you consider they take it as a double meaning of not just for an attack or battle but also as progression towards freedom or a better life.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Gas__Operated:

Yes, the most commonly accepted explanation is that samurai would run with their edged weapons held behind their backs when running to prevent accidental seppuku if they tripped on a tree root
View Quote

"Accidental Seppuku"

I hope that's on a grave somewhere
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Also how in the hell could Japanese even defend against a European shield and halberd wall? They couldn't.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jonny712] [#49]
Also how in the hell could Japanese even defend against a European shield and halberd wall? They couldn't.
View Quote

To be fair, the Japanese did have some knowledge of shields used as a sort of mobile fortification to protect spearmen and archers (like a pavise), so they might be able to come up with something.

also some pics of smaller shields

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By null_and_void:

http://www.shellofrust.com/~nullandvoid/fecchan.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By null_and_void:
Nichijou on Bluray

http://www.shellofrust.com/~nullandvoid/fecchan.jpg

Gintama 100 - Gintaman Manga - Special Attack: Domestic Violence
Page / 742
Who watches Anime? (Page 168 of 742)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top