User Panel

Site Notices
Who watches Anime? (Page 167 of 742)
Page / 742
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blacktide:

Maybe try quality, mature thought provoking anime like Trigun, Big O, Wolf's Rain, etc.  The slice of life harem anime is generally crap.
View Quote

Some of the slice of life stuff is pretty good.

In addition to Japan's dropping birth rates, they have a problem with younger people leaving the rural communities for life in the big city.  To try to help reverse that trend, there have been some shows that had an underlying motive of selling viewers on the idea of how good life in the country can be, and they put a lot of effort into making it the best show they could make.

I suspect the number of Japanese people that mainly get their meals from a convenience store or eat at a diner, is a similar motive for some of the shows that feature cooking.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Maybe try quality, mature thought provoking anime like Trigun, Big O, Wolf's Rain, etc.  The slice of life harem anime is generally crap.
View Quote

Generally but there's a few gems.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know why I liked himouto umaru-chan...
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By null_and_void:

You've made it as far as I did; I made it three episodes in and then skipped to the resolution episode. Knowing what I know now, I would have watched just the first and last of those episodes.
View Quote

I just finished the arc. I watched all of the episodes, just so that I can say I did.

I should have listened to you guys and skipped a few. In the end they could have gotten the same effect from four episodes. I can't imagine watching that week-to-week.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
April 7th!  Mark it!

your name.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:
April 7th!  Mark it!

your name.
View Quote

I <3 that movie.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Somehow I've gotten myself trapped in a universe of middle-schooler girl anime.

Currently watching Yuru Yuri, season 1. Will I make it all the way through three seasons?

I doubt it - Yuru Yuri is mostly just silly, girl-on-girl ecchi innuendo, nosebleeds everywhere, four close friends have adventures together, rather plain artwork, riddled with cliche after cliche.

Alright, occasionally it's cute, especially when they break the 4th wall with the opening preview, or the next episode preview.

But it's kind of a letdown after Railgun.

I really need to get back to Bakemonogatari and the related series.

Finally made some sense out of the name Bakemonogatari - I guess that 'bakemono' means 'monster' (although I had to look up the difference between 'bakemono' and 'kaiju' monsters = maybe bakemono are more like spirits or demons while kaiju are godzilla-class monsters)

And 'monogatari' means 'story'.

So it's a play on words.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By radia:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You could try Daily Lives of High School Boys, for something a bit different.

Currently watching Yuru Yuri, season 1. Will I make it all the way through three seasons?

I doubt it - Yuru Yuri is mostly just silly, girl-on-girl ecchi innuendo, nosebleeds everywhere, four close friends have adventures together, rather plain artwork, riddled with cliche after cliche.

Alright, occasionally it's cute, especially when they break the 4th wall with the opening preview, or the next episode preview.

But it's kind of a letdown after Railgun.

As I recall, much of the first season is sort of a build up to a visual gag in the last episode (or nearly last episode) of the season.

I really need to get back to Bakemonogatari and the related series.

Finally made some sense out of the name Bakemonogatari - I guess that 'bakemono' means 'monster' (although I had to look up the difference between 'bakemono' and 'kaiju' monsters = maybe bakemono are more like spirits or demons while kaiju are godzilla-class monsters)

And 'monogatari' means 'story'.

So it's a play on words.

The Japanese seem to enjoy that sort of thing, much more than we do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 6:05:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: radia] [#9]
>>You could try Daily Lives of High School Boys, for something a bit different.

I watched ep. 1 on YouTube.

It's like a fast-paced sitcom (or maybe even a collection of short stories - do I detect a hint of Murakami there?), with one improbable scene after another after another in quick succession, plenty of sight gags and inside jokes, doing a reasonably good job of capturing the awkwardness of being a teen-aged boy in an all-boy school, but with plenty of fantasy elements thrown into the mix.

It is self-aware in the way that it parodies the genre, and it pushes at some boundaries, but it's not insanely over the top with WTF-ness like Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! (but I do miss the wombat).

It does require some careful attention to follow what's going on and to keep up with the rapid shifts from scene to scene. I might take in some more episodes to see if it continues to look interesting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:33:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gas__Operated] [#10]
Originally Posted By JPN:

It just wouldn't be the same show, without the sisters.

The second season of Railgun shows more of the interaction between Misaka Mikoto and her sisters, giving some backstory on what you saw in the first season of Index.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JPN:

But Misaka Misaka and her sisters are real gems - I love the way that each time one of them says something it is accompanied by her deadpan, matter-of-fact explanation of what she just said and why - it's a brilliant touch (he said, fully expecting other Railgun fans to jump in with their own enthusiastic concurrence).

It just wouldn't be the same show, without the sisters.

The second season of Railgun shows more of the interaction between Misaka Mikoto and her sisters, giving some backstory on what you saw in the first season of Index.

In case nobody knew the anime for Index 1&2 stopped at volume 13 of the LN. There is a company putting out English for the series but they're only up to 12 as of this month. 13 should be out April-May timeframe. But there's some unprofessional translations out there in the interwebs that are pretty good and finish it all the way to 24 IIRC
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Gas__Operated:

In case nobody knew the anime for Index 1&2 stopped at volume 13 of the LN. There is a company putting out English for the series but they're only up to 12 as of this month. 13 should be out April-May timeframe. But there's some unprofessional translations out there in the interwebs that are pretty good and finish it all the way to 24 IIRC
View Quote

If I'm not mistaken, there are only 22 volumes of A Certain Magical Index.  But then the story continues with A Certain Magical Index: New Testament, which was already to the point that 15 volumes had been translated by fans, last time I checked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Those all look interesting, but they are apparently not available on Crunchyroll.

I have actually continued watching Yuru Yuri, almost at the end of season two. Yes, a lot of it is crap, cliche after cliche after cliche, but I was surprised to find a few episodes that were laugh-out-loud funny, even without the benefit of an adult beverage.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Youjo Senki (Saga of Tanya the Evil) is far and away my favorite so far this season (3-4 episodes in).

A straight lined, completely about the numbers and no emotions, Japanese salary man is reborn as a little girl in an alternate universe Germany World War but with sorcery. Just brutally cold and calculated fucking shit up in a little girls body.

Quite entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm 5 episodes into Erased. I'm really liking it
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#15]
The Attack on Titan Manga just blew my mind.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:15:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2alpha-down0] [#16]
Originally Posted By SGStiles:

I <3 that movie.
View All Quotes
April 7th!  Mark it!

your name.

I <3 that movie.

Not a huge surprise, but it looks like its Oscar-qualifying run in December was for nothing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
I'm 5 episodes into Erased. I'm really liking it
View Quote

Based on that recommendation, I've just started watching, and it looks interesting enough...
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Dragon Maid (surprisingly) and Konosuba are pretty funny. I usually cannot excuse poor art but Konosuba transcends it with humor

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Based on that recommendation, I've just started watching, and it looks interesting enough...
View Quote

Erased is excellent.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Erased is excellent.
View Quote

I figured out what was going to happen halfway through but still a mind fuck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#21]
The Attack on Titan Manga just blew my mind.
View Quote

That was quite the twist but I think we all saw that coming in some version. Assuming you are talking recent developments and not that you just sped read the whole thing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

That was quite the twist but I think we all saw that coming in some version. Assuming you are talking recent developments and not that you just sped read the whole thing.
View Quote

Yes. Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#24]
@Bacon_Grease
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Rewatching  Wolfs Rain after many years. Think the last time I watched it was on Toonami back in the day.  I forgot how dark and depressing this show is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#26]
IBO: I don't think there is another character in anime I hate quite so much as Iok Kujan right now. Mika needs to bust a cap in his smarmy little hypocrite ass. I now understand why McGillis is doing the things he's doing. He was a bit of a jerk in S1, but he's going out of his way to redeem himself in S2. I honestly like the guy at this point.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

That was definitely a powerful moment but it has me concerned. Usually it's not a good sign when a story comes full circle well before the end.

I can't see attack on Titan ending soon in a satisfying way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:
IBO: I don't think there is another character in anime I hate quite so much as Iok Kujan right now. Mika needs to bust a cap in his smarmy little hypocrite ass. I now understand why McGillis is doing the things he's doing. He was a bit of a jerk in S1, but he's going out of his way to redeem himself in S2. I honestly like the guy at this point.
View Quote

I got someone you can hate more... BEAT THIS

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#29]

That was definitely a powerful moment but it has me concerned. Usually it's not a good sign when a story comes full circle well before the end.

View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

BTW it's really spelled Jaeger not Yeager but that's how Hajime Isayama approved it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

BTW it's really spelled Jaeger not Yeager but that's how Hajime Isayama approved it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 7:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bacon_Grease] [#31]

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler

It's also neat that the name is advancing titans as opposed to attack. That's more important now as the Titan Eren possesses is named the advancing titan using the same kanji I'm told. (They say attacker though).
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Now my phone lock screen

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#33]

That was my lock screen for a long time.

My brodda
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Click To View Spoiler

It's also neat that the name is advancing titans as opposed to attack. That's more important now as the Titan Eren possesses is named the advancing titan using the same kanji I'm told. (They say attacker though).
View Quote

Bad translation It's not "Attack on Titan" it's "Advance of the Giants" or "Giants' Advance"
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#35]
And yeah, the attack titan was what I read.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Swoosh101:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Swoosh101:

Erased is excellent.

Yes, I saw it coming as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#37]

I got someone you can hate more... BEAT THIS

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIsP-NarfAVkDF5AJGYyRXhkSfpUbh6dyvj93-tSbypFpJgy6t
View Quote

Ugh. Shinji. Well played, sir.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Anyone watching Scum's Wish?

It pushes the line at times, but the writing is superb.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:

Ugh. Shinji. Well played, sir.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:51:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: radia] [#40]
Anyone watching Scum's Wish?

It pushes the line at times, but the writing is superb.
View Quote

When I looked up Scum's Wish I stumbled across references to Amazon's Anime Strike video-on-demand channel (which I had not heard about).

Is that where you are watching it?

If so, it is in Japanese with English subtitles?

I'm already paying $7 per month for Crunchyroll, and paying whatever Amazon Prime costs yearly, and I have an Internet and cable bill every month too, and I'm not coming close to using all of the media that I am already paying for, so I'm not sure that I want or need another monthly subscription. But I guess that I should check out their free 7-day intro.

I didn't even realize that I could access manga through Crunchyroll - I see that the Scum's Wish manga is available there.

I guess that it says that Scum's Wish is in nihongo, and it does show CC, but I'm not certain whether that means that the CC is also in nihongo or in English.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#41]

When I looked up Scum's Wish I stumbled across references to Amazon's Anime Strike video-on-demand channel (which I had not heard about).

Is that where you are watching it?

If so, it is in Japanese with English subtitles?

I'm already paying $7 per month for Crunchyroll, and paying whatever Amazon Prime costs yearly, and I have an Internet and cable bill every month too, and I'm not coming close to using all of the media that I am already paying for, so I'm not sure that I want or need another monthly subscription. But I guess that I should check out their free 7-day intro.

I didn't even realize that I could access manga through Crunchyroll - I see that the Scum's Wish manga is available there.

I guess that it says that Scum's Wish is in nihongo, and it does show CC, but I'm not certain whether that means that the CC is also in nihongo or in English.
View Quote

I've been watching it on KissAnime, but I just found out about the Amazon channel today myself, so I might switch over to that.

They have a bunch of English dubs on there, so I imagine their simulcasts are English subs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By David_ESM:
Youjo Senki (Saga of Tanya the Evil) is far and away my favorite so far this season (3-4 episodes in).

A straight lined, completely about the numbers and no emotions, Japanese salary man is reborn as a little girl in an alternate universe Germany World War but with sorcery. Just brutally cold and calculated fucking shit up in a little girls body.

Quite entertaining.
View Quote

I'm liking this one, too.

I still think the main character is evil, but rather than the sinister, pure evil concealed in a little girl's body, as I thought at the end of the first episode, I'm now more leaning toward a less sinister evil - lack of empathy, combined with self-centered ambition.  The back story, provided in the following episodes, clears things up a bit, and the show seems to be more of a struggle between the main character and god.

While Youjo Senki took a twist and became more interesting, Fuuka seems to have taken a turn down the 'another harem anime' path.  I haven't given up on it, yet, but my expectations have dropped considerably.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai is also turning out to be a harem anime, but with the characters it has, that's no big surprise.  The girls are keeping this one interesting, so far.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:10:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#43]
[     ]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Saw Paprika last week.

Paprika (Anime Movie) Trailer [720p HD]

What a ride! Requires a bit of mental flexibility though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Just started watching ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. on Crunchyroll (up to 3 episodes so far, weekly simulcast).

It started off slowly, but is gathering steam as the story starts building layer upon layer of court intrigue, plotting, treachery, backstabbing, double- or possibly triple agents, and more. Who can be trusted (if anyone)? What's actually going on there?

The writer has already started playing with our minds. Not at all sure what can and what can not be taken at face value.

It's enough to keep my attention.

A big change from 12 episodes of Tokyo ESP, which ended somewhat abruptly (as if they were planning for a longer run, but it got cut off unexpectedly). A flying penguin eating glowing magical fish from the Ark of the Covenant, a telepathic stork who communicates with humans (but appeared too late in the story to have a significant role), some good ESPers and some bad ESPers, with a hard-to-swallow reason behind the main villain's villainous deeds. It had its moments, but was mostly meh...
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Hadn't heard of that. Explains why the anime selection included with prime is shit.

Hulu has a pretty good anime selection.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By dog-meat:

Hadn't heard of that. Explains why the anime selection included with prime is shit.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dog-meat:

Doesn't look like Anime Strike has a very good selection either, although I'm SERIOUSLY considering at least the free trial so I can finally see Clannad. And they have One Punch Man, which I've really wanted to see.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By pokey074:

Doesn't look like Anime Strike has a very good selection either, although I'm SERIOUSLY considering at least the free trial so I can finally see Clannad. And they have One Punch Man, which I've really wanted to see.
View Quote

Unless you have nothing else to do, you probably won't get through Clannad in a week.  OPM is doable, though.

Clannad is on Hulu if you have it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#49]
[     ]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:51:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGStiles] [#50]
Haven't watched anything this season but I found this.

Page / 742
Who watches Anime? (Page 167 of 742)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top