Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2001 7:12:07 PM EDT
Been lurking here for a few days, trying to gather all the info I can before asking questions that have probably been beat to death.

Here goes!

I'm going to be getting an AR15 soon but my dealer who I do much business with gave me a price of $750 for the BM and said he could get me a Colt for $100 more.  Paying for the name?  He says the Colts are a little nicer but I have never had the opportunity to compare them side by side.  Also, what configuration do you recommend?  Not planning on competition shooting.  Just to plink at the range with and whatever mayhem might arise.  Was looking at the standard 20" A2 variant but also like that M4gery too!  Any suggestions.

TIA
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the BM, all mil-spec parts will drop in not so on the Colt.  A2 for general purpose work, but the M4 is nice as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushy, not Colt.  Ford, not Chevy.  Anheiser Bush, not Coors.  Coke, not Pepsi.  Marlboro, not Camel.  Maker's Mark, not Jack.  Jerry Garcia, not Eric Clapton.  Goody's, not BC.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the Bushy... You get the front take down pin which makes things som uch nicer. Your really only paying for the Colt name.
My pre-ban Colt has the most horrible trigger on the face of the earth.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
let your money talk your gun rights. colt is not pro individual gun rights. buy bush or armalite, burn colt !
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
This ex-11B says Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn you guys are biased.  Buy a Colt it will hold it's value.

As to individual freedoms.  I bet 99% of the people here own a Colt 1911 or some variant, a Ruger, a Kimber or a S&W.  All have screwed the public for profit at one time or another.  Remington and Wincheser I don't know about but they don't have anything I want [:d]

Link Posted: 2/27/2001 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
IF it was a 1911 I would say colt, as I am a snob about these things.............saying that, I prefer Bushmaster, I was looking at an AR, Bushy $700, Colt $900, I didn't like the colt because the trigger sucked, and it had no front takedown pin, I left with a bushy under my arm and I smile on my face, even the clerk said I made the right choice, I will only buy for a name on certain things.....that said, didn't armalite make the orginal AR-15???
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Get both.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually, I do have a 1911 by SA.  Great pistol!  I was considering the Colt 1991 but I think SA makes a pistol that is just as fine as the Colt in every fashion.  

The AR's on the otherhand, having only ever fired one in bootcamp(M16,Navy) some years back, I have no real experience with.  So the input is appreciated.  I have inqured about this subject on a couple of other forums and it seems that BM has the majority vote.  Now What varient should I get?  I'm thinking the standard A2 with 20", 16" barrel or the M4 version.  When the income tax return comes I'll probably get an additional upper but what should I start with?

Thanx Again!
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:25:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Colt.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Neither.

Olympic Arms.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#12]
All of them are good...Bushmaster, Colt, Oly Arms.

I just happen to own a Colt, so I would recommend COLT...

But again, they are all good, so enjoy what you buy!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Pass on any Colt that has been made in the last two years.

Buy the Bushmaster... Or check into [green]Armalite[/green].

From what I have seen in the last few months, used [green]Armalites[/green] are going for more than used Colts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#14]
MrP

"Pass on any Colt that has been made in the last two years."

Why is that? Specifics please...

Link Posted: 2/28/2001 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#15]
MrP

Maybe I was to vague with my question to you.

What are your Bona Fides to make such a broad statement condemning Colt? Are you a QC person at their factory? Do you have documented paperwork concerning poor quality with reference to Colt SUR's?

Or, are you just reguritating something that you read in another thread just because you own another brand?

Ne Parcus Nec Spernas
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Buy an ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#17]
My vote goes to Armalite also.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#18]
valkyrie,
if you have any buddies that shoot, try and see if you could pop off a few (hundred) rounds with their AR-15s. see what you like the most. research on the internet as well. go to another dealer, see what he/she says or suggests. try to hold, touch, feel, shoot, admire, smell, the different brands. then make a decision. just as long as you buy the COLT.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Ain't this a cool looking rifle [:d]

[img]www.colt.com/colt/assets/images/a2f6_matchtarcomphbar2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#20]
COLT without hesitation. Watch people at the next gun show you go to. If an AR is turned logo side down, watch how many people turn it to see the brand. If it's a Colt they will say "it's a Colt" to whoever they are with.
Nuff said!
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#21]
If you want to be a fashionably correct and want politically correct features buy Cult. If you like a company that goes to anti-gunner seminars to push their "smart-gun" then buy Cult. If you like CEOS that donated money to anti-gun politicians buy Cult.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Man that is just ignorant.  Sight your refrences of Colt giving money to anti-gun crusades.

I could give a shit less if Colt develops smart gun technology and I don't care if they spend themselves into oblivion promoting it.  It should be mandatory for all LEO's they seem to be the ones always getting shot with their own guns.

If that technology is forced by law on the gun owning populace then the battle is with dumb ass politicians not with Colt.  The technology is here.  Somebody will develop it.  I'd just as soon it be a gun maker rather than Microsoft.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, Reloader, and if it is an Armalite, they will say 'it's an Armalite', if it is a Bushmaster, they will say 'it's a Bushmaster'.

Nuff said!
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Bush!
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#25]
First off:
Vyper45 mentioned:
.....that said, didn't armalite make the orginal AR-15???

Well, sort of. The current rendition of Armalite is merely a renamed company (was it Eagle or Essential Arms?). The Armalite that made the original AR15 was a division of Fairchild and is long gone. My understanding is that the current company has some of the original tooling though. Maybe it's just original drawings. I'm not sure.

On the Colt/Bushy question, I prefer Bushmaster simply because they will sell you replacement parts at a reasonable price. Their rifles are as good as any Colt. There I said it. Some other brands, such as DPMS are a little lower quality, and still others such as Olympic seem to be equal to Colt or Bushmaster. I own a post ban Bushy and a pre-ban PWA (remember them?). Both are fine rifles and neither has ever malfunctioned, except the Bushmaster doesn't like Orlite mags. No biggie, neither do I.
One thing I don't ilke about Colt is their insistance on using non mil-spec parts in the trigger group. That means if you ever need a hammer, trigger, disconnector, etc., you have to buy geniune Colt parts (expensive) Bushmaster does sell replacement parts for the Colt Sporters, but their prices are higher as well, when compared to their price on the mil-spec stuff. Plus if you ever need to remove the upper receiver, you need a screwdriver for the Colt unless you already spent more money to convert it to a take-down pin (front).
Just my $.02...
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#26]
i bought the colt because in the higher end models, i got more for the money, and bushmaster didn't have 24 inch stainless barrell, and the bush didn't have the 2nd nub for the bipod, or the scope rings for free either, not to mentiont he upgraded trigger and the free floating barell shroud and i didn't want the handle so why pay for it? the only thing i wish i got free with my colt was the hard case given witht all the bushmasters now
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Gus, it was Eagle Arms.  If you know so much about the company, you should know that.  In all your ensuing paragraph, you did not mention ArmaLite again.  They are the best.  Not knocking or flaming Bushmaster or Colt, but ArmaLites are the best.  They have more than lived up to the original's quality.  I know, for I have several old original ArmaLites and a new one as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Armalite isn't really Armalite, just like Springfield Armory isn't really Springfield Armory. Essentially, Armalite is really Eagle Arms, a fine company, but they sort of imply that they are the original Armalite without actually saying it. Good for sales, you know. They say that Eagle Arms is a division of Armalite, when really (the newly-resurrected) Armalite is a division of Eagle Arms. They now have rights to the name and they use it to their fullest advantage. Kind of like how Bushmaster implies that their rifles are 100% "mil-spec" without actually saying they're 100% mil-spec. Good for sales, you know.

Note: I took a Bushmaster Dissipater to the gunshow last month and 4 people stopped me to ask about it. Three of them asked, "is that rifle a Colt?" When I said, "No, it's a Bushmaster Dissipater," they just thanked me and walked away.
Money isn't as tight now as it was then and I'm glad I didn't (couldn't) sell her.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
MrP

Maybe I was to vague with my question to you.

What are your Bona Fides to make such a broad statement condemning Colt? Are you a QC person at their factory? Do you have documented paperwork concerning poor quality with reference to Colt SUR's?

Or, are you just reguritating something that you read in another thread just because you own another brand?

Ne Parcus Nec Spernas
View Quote

Contras21,

I am not a QC person at Colt. I’m just a guy that works part time in a gun store. In almost all cases, the newer Colts that have come through the store in the last 2 years have steadily declined in quality. The fit and finish, mating of the upper to lower receivers, and construction is sub-par compared to any of the Colts I own/have owned. We even had one come in a couple of months ago with an M-16 bolt. IMO the QC of Colt has fallen to the way-side; hence my recommendation to avoid new Colts (both AR-15s and 1911s).

At the same time, the [green]Armalites[/green] have been consistent in quality. Any used [green]Armalite[/green] that has gone on the consignment shelf has sold in less than three days.

I am not a Colt basher, in fact I own/have owned multiple Colt firearms. It is my recommendation to anyone new to AR-15s to buy the best quality they can afford for their first gun. Therefore, I suggest they avoid any newly produced Colt (IMO) until the QC comes back.

For my dollar today:
AR-15 it’s [green]Armalite[/green]
1911 style pistol it’s Kimber

Note: the above post is my opinion and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the AR15.com owners, operators or community. [:)]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Larry -  Believe me, I'm not trashing Armalite in any way. I've never owned one, but friends do and they love'em. I don't really have much preference at all, except that I own a Bushmaster and have direct experience (favorable so far) in dealing with that company. In fact, an Armalite AR10 is on my wish list, and I plan to buy a genuine Colt M4 upper. Geez. I was just pointing out some of the differences between Colt and Bushy, not Armalite or Oly, because the question was "Colt or Bushmaster". I like my PWA too.
As for resale value, I'll never sell any of mine so what difference does it really make to me? Not much. I love'em all (well most of them).
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Ignorant, huh?  More like the pot calling the kettle black.

http://www.hoovers.com/co/capsule/2/0,2163,54212,00.html
colts manufacturing
chairman: donald zilkha

http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/index.asp
Type in zilkha, donald in the donor name and check off 1996-2000.

More stuff about cult:
http://members.tripod.com/~rugerfan/index.html

Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As for resale value, I'll never sell any of mine so what difference does it really make to me? Not much. I love'em all (well most of them).
View Quote

Gus,

I never thought that I would sell any of my guns either. But when ya gotta ya gotta. I'm glad now that I bought quality firearms that maintained thier value.
[uzi]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Now I have a Colt, but my next gun will prolly be a Bushmaster.  Either of them is a great choice.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I guess that depends on what you want the ar for and how much your willing to spend.  Me personally I've had a DPMS and a BM and I wouldn't buy a Colt b/c they cost too much.  My BM is awesome with my Trijicon scope.  I wouldn't trade it in on a Colt.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io: Ignorant, huh?  More like the pot calling the kettle black.

http://www.hoovers.com/co/capsule/2/0,2163,54212,00.html
colts manufacturing
chairman: donald zilkha

http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/index.asp
Type in zilkha, donald in the donor name and check off 1996-2000.

More stuff about cult:
http://members.tripod.com/~rugerfan/index.html
View Quote

Yeah they are political animals those chairman of the boards that buy up companies.  Looks like they been greasing both palms from what I see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top