Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2001 2:51:24 PM EDT
What do guys that compete ,shoot in local and state matches?

Gun:
Twist Rate:
Ammo:
Results with your setup:
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
223, it sounds like you're considering options for an AR for NRA Highpower competition. If so, you may benefit from my book, "Black Magic: The Ultra-Accurate AR15."  It covers accurate AR's from the ground up: receivers, parts, barrels, twists, gunsmiths, chambering reamers, sights, triggers, float tubes, scope mts, handloading for accuracy, how to properly accuracy test the AR, 1000 yd. ballistics, experiments to show the true accuracy contribution of specialized techniques like turning necks, weighing cases, weighed vs. metered powder charges, progressive vs. single stage loading, tight vs. as-issued upper/lower receivers, etc. It is intended to help you get the most out of your AR without wasting time, money and energy on stuff that DOESN'T WORK.  It shows what to realistically expect from factory barrels/military bullets vs. target barrels/ammo. (300 pages.) I give AR15.com'ers a $3.00 discount on autographed copies.  If you'd like one, email me direct for details.  Hope helpful,  John Feamster, columnist, Precision Shooting/The Accurate Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Mr. Feamster: I read your book. Thought is was
great. More information than a SD redneck could
comprehend. Thanks for good reading.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot uspsa;
Production-Glock 34
Limited ten- Springfeild 1911A1 loaded
Limited-S/V Infinity.
1st 3 gun match next month.[:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello Mr. Feamster!

I've enjoyed your columns in [u]Precision Shooting[/u] and would like to thank you for your excellent work! I've enjoyed reading it. Please post or email info on how I may obtain an autographed copy of your book. Thanx!

-Mark
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot NRA and CMP highpower service rifle.
My current match AR has:

Eagle Arms preban A2 lower w/ lead wedge
Jewell trigger from Ga Precision
Upper from John Holliger (gasgunner):
BM receiver handpicked for fit
John's rear sight mod w/CLE hood
Shilen 1/8 SS barrel w/ adjustable windage fs
bolt matched to above
RR float tube under trimmed GI handguards

The rifle outshoots me. I could not ask for more. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
This is probably way below what you're expecting, but . . .

Complete newbie here - being guided by you superstars like paterpk, etc. Thank you all, kind people. Am grateful.

Have shot less than a handful of matches, but am *completely* hooked. Motorcycle racing wasn't as addictive as this!

Colt 6530 ltwt 16" 1-7
BM A3 hbar 1-9. Although stock, was airgaged and hand headspaced by BM. Chrome-lined, does 1/2 moa on bench w/optics.

Breaking in a pair of 6724's. Actually more an excuse to hang out with the bench rest guys with Stolle Panda's. They're a different kind of cookie, but they shoot 1"(inch) swingers at 400yds. SO much to learn from these guys, and you!

Winchester Q3131 has been better than military 55gr or SS109. Am told the Winchester Q3131A (Israeli?) is better?

So much to learn, but enjoy buying the beer. Tried smallbore, bullseye, etc, but have found you most to make the world a better place.

Any of you around/over 95% using commercial ammo? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
 All due respect to John Feamster, I own, have read, and refer to his book often, but your AR-15 library isn't complete without Glen Zediker's and Derrick Martin's books. These 3 books don't compete with one another as much as they complement one another. Russ Haydon's has all 3. www.shooters-supply.com
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh yeah,
 Bushy DCM upper, 1-8 barrel.
 Homebuilt Bushy lower with Jewell trigger
 Homegrown Sierra 69 & 80 grain bullets
 great results, very happy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I built a DCM/CMP/NRA legal rifle on a DMPS stainless steel lower with an Armalite 2 stage trigger.  The upper has 1/4 MOA sights with a precision ground front sight, N/M bolt carrier, 1/7.75" Krieger barrel and free floated hand guard.  

Did I forget to mention the Turner sling and custom weighting?

BTW, my competition rounds are a closely guarded secret.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi, folks, thanks for the kind words, and I'm sure glad y'all liked the book and articles.  For those who want an autographed copy of Black Magic, the AR15.com discount price is $21.95 for softcovers or $26.95 for hardcovers, plus $4.00 priority mail.  My address is:
John Feamster,
P.O. Box 4846
Biloxi, MS 39535-4846
BTW, four friends and I took AR15's in Viet Nam configuration (all A1 sights and barrels, one set up as a Model 01 clone complete with original early ArmaLite painted green furniture, duckbill flash hider,early bolt catch, Edgewater buffer, triangular charging handle, waffle mag, etc) to our monthly NRA Highpower match last Veteran's Day. We did this in honor of the 25th anniversary of the end of the VN war. (Sort of the Eugene Stoner equivalent of the John C. Garand matches!)  52-55 gr. bullets out to 600 yards were quite the adventure -- article should appear in April's Precision Shooting. Hope you enjoy it!  John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top