Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
Author
Im as unstyled as my two cylinder Deere.
Posted: 4/27/2007 2:15:04 AM
About 10 years ago we tore down an old barn and we had a couple people per day stopping to ask if they could buy the siding off it, we ended up using it all to finish the basement. Now Ive got another barn to take down and this time I can sell the wood, but I wouldnt know what to ask. Any thoughts on pricing etc?
Us > Them
ElIntocable
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 2:16:47 AM
I'm not sure, but if you paint them John Deere Green, you could get an extra $1000!

thebeekeeper1
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 2:30:58 AM
It varies greatly. The nicest ones (white cedar--and full 1" X 12" rough sawn) can go for $5 per board ft.--but only if VERY nice and power washed and at the right place. Typically they are bought for next to nothing (or for tearing the barn down) and then sold in Shitcago or other large cities at retail outlets who specialize in such things.

What you are talking about is usually sold for whatever you can negotiate.

It's dangerous work so be careful.
Journier
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 2:43:46 AM
people are picky about used wood, definately has to be completely cleaned up etc, like beekeeper said.

tried to sell some solid 2x12's that were cedar before, pfft everyone that came out didnt want them / offered me next to nothing because one side was painted. they went in the fire place, CEDAR smells so nice as it burns :)
ReelVirginian1861
I don't need no stinking Forum Title!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 8:14:43 AM
Here's one my cousin wants to burn. I've been begging him to let me put some chains on it and yank it down with the big John Deere.

I could use the wood for chicken coop, sheds, dog houses, etc.

Sure wood hate to see it burn.

"I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."
Larry Hincker: Virginia Tech Spokesman

JOIN VCDL.org FOR THE CH
rob99rt
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 8:20:32 AM
My dad has an old barn on property he inherited that is built out of wormy chestnut. As far as I can tell, that old thing is worth a nice chunk of change.
- Rob
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. George Washingto
bayouben
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 8:26:12 AM
DON'T BURN IT! I might cry.
huggybro
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 8:36:47 AM
The wood used in the building is worth alot of money. Up north they used a variety of woods. Down here in Louisiana, the most popular wood used was cypress. I know of several guys who tear them down and sell the cypress planks for $3.00 a board foot.
The big beams (some up to 12x12") go for really big bucks.
Take it down piece by piece and store the wood or at least bid it out for the highest buck.
jrzy
Brothers In Arms
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 8:44:00 AM
[Last Edit: 4/27/2007 11:49:46 AM by jrzy]
First of all the barn planks can go for much higher then mentioned.
If they have worm holes it's a plus, if they have some scratches and marks from age it's a plus.
What ever you do don't sand them or power wash them, you will destroy the value.

Most people don't understand they are old, old growth planks from a time when trees were allowed to age before being harvested.
www.humboldtredwoods.org/oldgrowth.htm

Take pictures of the structure and put them on ebay and state the buyer needs to remove and disassemble.
You'll be surprised at the e-mails you'll get.

"what one man can do another man can do!"

No bear can take a Full Power Shot from 10mmFan
Grove
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 5:56:42 PM
AeroE
Nuke Gay Whales - It's for the children
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 6:04:18 PM

Originally Posted By ReelVirginian1861:
Here's one my cousin wants to burn. I've been begging him to let me put some chains on it and yank it down with the big John Deere.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/ReelVirginian1861/Thebarn.jpg

One of the engineers I work with sold a similar barn near Columbia, Il for $65000. That made a pretty good dent in the cost of the new house he was building.
Do not hire anyone posting in this thread that believes the airplane will not fly
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=543655&page=1

SYSTEM MESSAGE: tard limit exceeded on both sides. (Unknown Moderator/Staff)
ReelVirginian1861
I don't need no stinking Forum Title!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 6:43:21 PM

Originally Posted By AeroE:

Originally Posted By ReelVirginian1861:

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/ReelVirginian1861/Thebarn.jpg

One of the engineers I work with sold a similar barn near Columbia, Il for $65000. That made a pretty good dent in the cost of the new house he was building.

$65000.00??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!
"I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."
Larry Hincker: Virginia Tech Spokesman

JOIN VCDL.org FOR THE CH
Kalahnikid
Im as unstyled as my two cylinder Deere.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2007 11:01:59 PM
I dont think the barn is worth shit, and the beams are just a bunch of 2x6's bolted together when it was built. (We were poor farmers.) The wood is all tounge and groove pine. It was painted red once when it was built back in the 50's.

I think its gotta be worth something just because when we tore the last barn down 10 years ago people would see us out working and stop by at least once a day making offers on the wood.
Us > Them