Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2007 10:15:04 PM EDT
About 10 years ago we tore down an old barn and we had a couple people per day stopping to ask if they could buy the siding off it, we ended up using it all to finish the basement. Now Ive got another barn to take down and this time I can sell the wood, but I wouldnt know what to ask. Any thoughts on pricing etc?
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure, but if you paint them John Deere Green, you could get an extra $1000!
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
people are picky about used wood, definately has to be completely cleaned up etc, like beekeeper said.

tried to sell some solid 2x12's that were cedar before, pfft everyone that came out didnt want them  / offered me next to nothing because one side was painted. they went in the fire place, CEDAR smells so nice as it burns :)
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 4:14:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's one my cousin wants to burn. I've been begging him to let me put some chains on it and yank it down with the big John Deere.

I could use the wood for chicken coop, sheds, dog houses, etc.

Sure wood hate to see it burn.

Link Posted: 4/27/2007 4:20:32 AM EDT
[#5]
My dad has an old barn on property he inherited that is built out of wormy chestnut.  As far as I can tell, that old thing is worth a nice chunk of change.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#6]
DON'T BURN IT!  I might cry.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The wood used in the building is worth alot of money. Up north they used a variety of woods. Down here in Louisiana, the most popular wood used was cypress. I know of several guys who tear them down and sell the cypress planks for $3.00 a board foot.
The big beams (some up to 12x12") go for really big bucks.
Take it down piece by piece and store the wood or at least bid it out for the highest buck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 4:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]
First of all the barn planks can go for much higher then mentioned.
If they have worm holes it's a plus, if they have some scratches and marks from age it's a plus.
What ever you do don't sand them or power wash them, you will destroy the value.

Most people don't understand they are old, old growth planks from a time when trees were allowed to age before being harvested.
www.humboldtredwoods.org/oldgrowth.htm

Take pictures of the structure and put them on ebay and state the buyer needs to remove and disassemble.
You'll be surprised at the e-mails you'll get.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here's one my cousin wants to burn. I've been begging him to let me put some chains on it and yank it down with the big John Deere.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/ReelVirginian1861/Thebarn.jpg

One of the engineers I work with sold a similar barn near Columbia, Il for $65000.  That made a pretty good dent in the cost of the new house he was building.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/ReelVirginian1861/Thebarn.jpg

One of the engineers I work with sold a similar barn near Columbia, Il for $65000.  That made a pretty good dent in the cost of the new house he was building.

$65000.00??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont think the barn is worth shit, and the beams are just a bunch of 2x6's bolted together when it was built. (We were poor farmers.) The wood is all tounge and groove pine. It was painted red once when it was built back in the 50's.

I think its gotta be worth something just because when we tore the last barn down 10 years ago people would see us out working and stop by at least once a day making offers on the wood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top