Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2001 9:14:47 AM EDT
I recently picked up a new TZ-99 pistol from aim.  Along with the pistol, I got 2 boxes each of S&B FMJ, and Silver Bear Russian HP.  After cleaning it, I took it out to see how it functions.  The first 100 rounds or so went well. With very tight groups at 25m. I used both kinds of ammo, with decent results.  I did notice that the Russian stuff seemed to blow alot of fire out, so I think maybe it wasn't burning as eficiently/completely.  Anyway, on the next magazine, I had 2 of the S&B cases fail to extract. Then I tried the Bear and got off a couple of shots before having an extraction failure with it.  This time, the case was so tight in the barrel, that I could not remove it. I ended up having to take it home and pound it out with a wood dowel and a hammer, from the muzzle. The Barrel and chamber were pretty dirty. I inspected the extractor, and it seems fine.  In fact, I had a hard time getting it to release so that I could open the breach to pound out the case.  One last thing, I had fired that first 100 in about half an hour. ( this was kind of a stress test)
Any ideas as to what may have caused this? I'm hoping it was just fouling and cheap russian ammo.
Thanks
Airborne
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably the ammo, as I have heard that S&B can be really dirty to shoot (don't know anything about the Bear). Give the gun a good cleaning and run a couple hundred rounds of Federal through it and see what your results are.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The CZ design (of which the TZ is a clone) it may need a feed ramp polishing., especially for HPs. I never shoot any of that dirty Russian stuff.  Your remarking on it indicates to me it was particularly dirty.  Always American, new or reloads.

Clean it and get a few NEW boxes, maybe American Eagle or Win, 124 grain FMJ.  This is the round these were originally designed to fire.

After say 200 rounds of being confident with it get som e JHPs (GolDots, etc.) of run those through.

Anyhow, the feed ramp or the dirty ammo is probably the issue.

Zaz

(spelling edit)
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#4]
S&B is pretty dirty stuff from my experience. I bought a case of .40 cal for my Glock 27. Out of about 400 rounds, I have come across 5 hard primers so far. I don't think their quality is the best, but it is good cheap plinking ammo.

I would choose to break in a new pistol with some better quality stuff personally. Even though it is a little dirty, my Glock digests it without any problems. As suggested earlier, give your pistol a good cleaning, and retry with some good Federal ammo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#5]
If your gun can handle dirty ammo the Russian stuff is fairly cheap.  I've seen what looks like sparklers shooting out the barrel with Wolf.

There's also some American ammo, comes in plastic containers, that is again cheap but I have heard very dirty.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, everyone.
Maybe I'll try to find some federal on my way home.
Airborne
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, now that you mention it, it had a ring of laquer around it where the case mouth and bullet meet. I didn't think of that.
thanks
Airborne!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
uhh!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top