Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You probably haven't heard of any of these but here's mine----Third Day, Delirious, Newsboys, Relient K, Bleach, Caedmons Call, Audio A, DC talk - and i listen to the Patriot soundtrack a lot.[:D][:D][:D]
- bricklayer
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:Depeche Mode
New Order
Erasure
The Cure
Def Leppard
Kraftwerk
OMD
Talk Talk
Queen

And the list goes on....
View Quote

I thought i was the only one.  Especially the Erasure.  Huge closet fan.

Of course"

Portishead
Cocteau Twins
Dead Can Dance
The Smiths + Morrissey
Clan of Xymox
...etc.

Zaz (stuck in the wave 80's....mostly)

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Which of you to gain me tell will risk uncertain pains of hell? I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which of you to gain me tell will risk uncertain pains of hell? I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
View Quote

Terrapin Station is one of my favorite Dead songs. Haven't listened to it in a while...I think I'll play it now...thanks for the reminder.[beer]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy crow! Two mentions of Clutch in the same thread.

Outstanding!

I finally saw Neil and the rest of them in June after years of waiting. They are from Maryland so they don't get out to AZ much.

It was a great show.

PS...If you think U2 is anti-gun, don't listen to anything the Mighty mighty Butt-tones have to say.

D.
www.azexarms.com
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

...The Pixies
Fugazi
Shellac
Hater

plus lots of odd stuff

if any one is interested in trading or burning compilation CDs of any of this or your music just so we can hear each others music, email me!!!

[8D]

View Quote

You got mail!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#7]
hmm... I like a little of everything but here goes....
Metalica
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Collective Soul
AC/DC
The Doors
The Who
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton (in a band or solo)
Jimi Hendrix
Creed
Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
Def Lepard
Poison
.38 Special
Heart
Fleetwood Mac
Stevie Nicks (she went solo)
Pat Benetar
Creedence Clearwater Revival
David Alan Coe
Hank Williams Jr. (hey, I live in Mississippi)
Beethoven...yes, Beethoven
Mozart
Hans Zimmer (does alot of instrumental soundtracks)
U2
George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers
Santana
some Elton John
Staind
Finger Eleven
Linkin Park
Pantera
I could go on but I won't.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Replacements
Pixies
Afghan Whigs
Nirvana
Tom Waits
U2
Jimmy Eat World
Get Up Kids
Dinosaur Jr.
Hayden
Sonic Youth
Bob Dylan
Mudhoney
Deftones
Helmet
Local H
James Brown
Miles Davis
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#9]
All time favorite: Led Zeppelin!

the latest CD's I bought: Moloko and Kosheen

best for relaxing (with the mrs): Sade, Maxwell, Air, SOS Band.

best party music: Fun Loving Criminals, Jamiroquai.

Best Hiphop: Public Enemy, Beastie Boys

best metal: Old Metallica, Slayer, Tool and of course Rammstein!

Which brings me to a question, I know some of you like this german band as well, but do you actually understand what they're saying (Frank?) ???

Lately I have been playing a lot of early house and grunge out of nostalgia I guess, but it still sounds pretty good (to me).

Bands like the Shamen, Stereo MC's, Prodigy and Chemical Brothers for instance in the house area and Pearl Jam (I think they degraded after 'Ten'), Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Temple of the Dog, Mother Lovebone and of course...Stone Temple Pilots! where grunge is concerned.

Rock On,
RG.nl

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the mood:
Biohazard
Pantera
The Cult
Megadeth
Bush
Motley Crue
Hed PE
Bob Seger
Staind
George Strait
Kid Rock
Hank Williams Jr.
Eric Clapton
Chris Isaak
Hall of Mirrors
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Methods of Mayhem
Puddle of Mud
Roy Orbison
Elvis Presley
The Crystal Method
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I have far too many to list. If I had to give the whole collection away I could not part with my:

Kansas
Blue Oyster Cult
Triumph
Jimi Hendrix
Foreigner
Toto
Guess Who

David Sanborn
Grover Washington Jr.
Warren Hill
Joshua Redmond
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Social Distortion
GBH
Speed Dealer
Fu Man Chu
Nebula
Turbo Negro
Napalm Death

...and anyone who played with the Miles Davis Quintet; Miles, Coltrane, Bill Evans......
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Holy crow! Two mentions of Clutch in the same thread.

Outstanding!

I finally saw Neil and the rest of them in June after years of waiting. They are from Maryland so they don't get out to AZ much.

It was a great show.

PS...If you think U2 is anti-gun, don't listen to anything the Mighty mighty Butt-tones have to say.

D.
www.azexarms.com
View Quote

Being from the Md. area and working in Baltimore, and being a musician, I've met the band several times. They used to play in Baltimore ALL the time, especially this little hole in the wall club in Fell's Point called Fletcher's. The boys are the Bomb!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Any Army, Marine, Navy, Air Force or the Coast Guard Band. John
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Sex Pistols
Ramones
Led Zep
Social Distortion
The Cult (some of it anyway)
Disturbed
Old Aerosmith, back when they drank, took drugs and wrote their own songs.
Offspring
Minor Threat
Dead Boys
Refreshments but not the Peacemakers.  Too twangy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Cake, Comfort Eagle IMHO is the best album to come out in a long time

Dave Mathews Band

Blink 182

Mindless Seld Indulgence...Faggot is an awsome song for LAN parties

Older Areosmith

Preaty much anything techno

Rob Zombie

[rail]

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Let's see...
DMB                  
Zep
Floyd
indigo girls
disappear fear
the black crowes
blues traveler (john popper is pro gun)
the dead
g n' r
iron maiden
old ac/dc
john lennon
the beatles
sublime
subhumans
melessia ethridge
the breeders
belly
sponge
stp
aerosmith (old stuff)

have to list more later..
anyone have some JFA in mp3 format??? Love old skate music!!

[smoke]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#18]
theres sooooooo many

dropkick murphys, AFI, black flag, dead kennedys, descendents, pennywise, the clash, weezer, vandals, minutemen, bad brains, ataris, ramones, propagandhi, new found glory, beastie boys, offspring and Minor f*cking Threat

BTW, I'm listening to "All The Young Punks" by the Clash right now
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#19]
The metal, hardcore and hardrock crowd!!

Dissection - storm of the night bane
Elend
Emperor - in the nightside eclipse
Gehenna
Satriycon
Arcana
Incantation
Necrosanct - very obscure
My dying Bride - anything after 95
C of F - anything before the black album
Abigor
Anathema -only the old stuff
Dodheimsgard

Tea party and Rammstein lately, and don't forget Mozard requiem-Dies Irae is ingenious.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Lagwagon, NOFX, Less Than Jake, Pennywise, Steel Pulse, Sublime, Tower of Power, Dick Dale, Counting Crows, Slip Knot.

There's an eclectic bunch for ya.

Ybbeat
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Descendents
Angry Samoans
Skatelites
Specials
Clash
Madness
Less Than Jake
Screeching Weasel
Mad Caddies
Social Distortion
Slayer
Circle Jerks
Johnny Cash
Crass
Fleetwood Mac
RunDMC
Nofx
CCR
Misfits
Vandals
Deftones
Subhumans
Snuff

...to name a few
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#22]
In no particular order:

Berlin
Echo and the Bunnymen
The Smiths
Billy Joel
Phil Collins/Genesis
Dire Straights
Garth Brooks
Mike and the Mechanics
10,000 Maniacs
B-52's
R.E.M.
Tangerine Dream (New Age stuff, great for driving on long trips.)
Lynard Skynard
38 Special
Styx
The Cars
Asia
ELO
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#23]
BTW, I find it kind of surprising thet so many people have listed punk bands. I'd be willing to bet that if this question was asked a few years ago, the answers would be completely different.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#24]
The Carpenters.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BTW, I find it kind of surprising thet so many people have listed punk bands. I'd be willing to bet that if this question was asked a few years ago, the answers would be completely different.
View Quote

Why do you think that?
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do you think that?
View Quote

I guess its really not that surprising, just ironic. Punk has been the festering boil of the music industry for so many years. Now almost 30 years after its birth, it's as mainstream, if not moreso, than any other genre.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#28]

I guess its really not that surprising, just ironic. Punk has been the festering boil of the music industry for so many years. Now almost 30 years after its birth, it's as mainstream, if not moreso, than any other genre.
View Quote

True.  I still feel Smells Like Teen Spirit is responsible.  Maybe something else would have come along to break through, but I doubt it would be to the extent it was/is.  But the guys on here might have been listening for qutie some time...who knows...
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a HUGE difference between the punk of the `70's and the punk of today.  But then again, times change, and every outcast music eventually has it's day and turns on itself.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#30]
favorites
R.E.M.
Garbage
Sarah McLachlan

also like
Hole (the celebrity skin album is good)
Cake
Weezer
Wheatus
U2 (I won't buy their stuff though, damn anti's)
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
True.  I still feel Smells Like Teen Spirit is responsible.  Maybe something else would have come along to break through, but I doubt it would be to the extent it was/is.  But the guys on here might have been listening for qutie some time...who knows...
View Quote

Smells Like Teen Spirit is as responsible for the mainstreaming of punk as Marvin Gaye is.  Grunge was just the next thing, and not much of what Nirvana did could even remotely be considered punk.  Grunge lived a very, very short life as far as music genres are concerned.  And only Pearl Jam seems to have survived.  What the hell happened to Alice in Chains?

Blame The Misfits and Metallica. [:D]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Hmm...let's see...

Tool

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#33]
george strait,alan jackson,and godsmack.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#34]
1. CCR
2. Guess Who
3. Cream
4. BTO
5. Eagles
6. Kansas
7. Boston
8. April Wine
9. Elton John (Early 70s stuff)
10.BeeGees (I hate to admit it but yes)
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Smells Like Teen Spirit is as responsible for the mainstreaming of punk as Marvin Gaye is.  Grunge was just the next thing, and not much of what Nirvana did could even remotely be considered punk.  Grunge lived a very, very short life as far as music genres are concerned.  And only Pearl Jam seems to have survived.  What the hell happened to Alice in Chains?

Blame The Misfits and Metallica. [:D]

God Bless Texas
View Quote

I disagree.  The whole situation is controlled by money and without Nirvana there would not been a market for "alternative",  not just grunge.  Without record companies millions you would have never heard from many bands that are popular.  Without Nirvana the record companies would have never looked at these bands.  Not saying the bands are good or bad, just many never would have been heard by many of the people that are now fans...
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#36]
poison
ratt
cinderella
alice in chains
ted nugent
metallica
guns n roses
old ac/dc
van halen with david lee roth
all 80's big hair bands
nirvana
stp
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I disagree.  The whole situation is controlled by money and without Nirvana there would not been a market for "alternative",  not just grunge.  Without record companies millions you would have never heard from many bands that are popular.  Without Nirvana the record companies would have never looked at these bands.  Not saying the bands are good or bad, just many never would have been heard by many of the people that are now fans...
View Quote

What a crock. A "market for alternative"? When I was a kid I was an outright outcast. I was the only punker kid in my whole school. I fought [b]literally[/b] for who I was every day. Nirvana was simply "punk/alternative/grunge" for jocks and people who thought they were from Seattle. The true pioneers of punk rock have been making bank for years from the real hardcore youth who were dedicated to punk rock for what it always was, music that fit a lifestyle, not just a music "style". The people who "simply can't live without" bands like the Offspring were no where to be seen when the Offspring were rocking songs like 'Beheaded' or 'Jennifer lost the war' when Offspring shows were full of freaks and rejects and the entire show was a giant "mosh pit" (that's slam dancing for those of you who were there)

No my friend, the true pioneers were bands like D.R.I. and Suicidal Tendencies, The Dead Kennedies and the Misfits and Social Distortion, FEAR  and bands of that ilk who never gave a f*ck about record companies or a "market" for their music. Those were the days. Now punk rock is just another fashion statement. If you need the radio to introduce you to your favorite "alternative" band you just might be a "poseur".

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#39]
The band Dylan had with Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper,
The Band,
The Traveling Wilbury's,
Led Zeppelin,
The Beatles after Rubber Soul,
ZZ Top,
Pink Floyd,
Miles Davis band on Kinda Blue,
Iron Butterfly,
Steely Dan,
others
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Anthrax (the Joey Belladonna years)
ASAP (Adriam Smith's solo album)
Asia (w/John Wetton)
Black Sabbath (both Ozzy & RJD)
Blue Öyster Cult (Imaginos & earlier)
Bruce Dickinson
Dio
Old Dire Straits
Dream Theater
ELP
Fleetwood Mac
The original Heart
Iron Maiden
Journey, esp. w/Gregg Rolie
Kansas
Zeppelin
Old Metallica
Motor City Madman
Ozzy
THE Alan Parsons Project (aka Tales of Mystery & Imagination)
Queen
Queensryche (Empire & earlier)
Rainbow
RUSH
Satch
Bob Seger
Steely Dan
Styx (especially the OLD stuff)
Triumph
The original Uriah Heep
The Who
Yes

And various classical artists
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What a crock. A "market for alternative"? When I was a kid I was an outright outcast. I was the only punker kid in my whole school. I fought [b]literally[/b] for who I was every day. Nirvana was simply "punk/alternative/grunge" for jocks and people who thought they were from Seattle. The true pioneers of punk rock have been making bank for years from the real hardcore youth who were dedicated to punk rock for what it always was, music that fit a lifestyle, not just a music "style". The people who "simply can't live without" bands like the Offspring were no where to be seen when the Offspring were rocking songs like 'Beheaded' or 'Jennifer lost the war' when Offspring shows were full of freaks and rejects and the entire show was a giant "mosh pit" (that's slam dancing for those of you who were there)

No my friend, the true pioneers were bands like D.R.I. and Suicidal Tendencies, The Dead Kennedies and the Misfits and Social Distortion, FEAR  and bands of that ilk who never gave a f*ck about record companies or a "market" for their music. Those were the days. Now punk rock is just another fashion statement. If you need the radio to introduce you to your favorite "alternative" band you just might be a "poseur".

View Quote

LOL.  What is somewhat funny is that I agree with you on many counts.  Maybe the message I posted didn't clearly state every belief I have ever had.  I would not consider myself a "poseur".  I used to go to "alternative" shows long before Nirvana came along.  But I wasn't going to fit an "image".  I went because I like the MUSIC.  I would go to these "punk" show dressed as I always did.  Jeans and a t-shirt and the "punks" would look at me like they knew I was a geek.  Whatever.  You can not judge me by my clothes and I refused to dress a certain way to not fit in and then by doing that fit in with them.  So, who was truly there for the music?

I certainly loathed the whole mass-market punk/alternative/grunge thing.  At any rate, you may think you know someone, but you may not.  It always struck me how the "punks" were as quick to judge others as those they were against for judging them.

P.s. Are you saying Nirvana recorded Nevermind with jocks in mind?

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Beautiful South (first 3)
Meat Puppets (too high to die)
Del Amitri (Change Everything)
Prefab Sprout (Life of Surprises)

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been listening to punk since the early 80s.  I'm not into it as much as I was back then, but I listen to the older stuff now and then.  I don't care much for most of the current "alternative" bands or rap-metal combo crap.  Unless I missed it, I'm glad no one listed RATM.  They would have needed to be banned for that!

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Mary Prankster!
[img]http://www.maryprankster.com/images/mplogo2.gif[/img]

Anyone with a song called "Tits and Whiskey" has *got* to be good!

P.S. -- Mary's a hottie. [:D]

edited to delete the MP3 link -- it's a fragment, and it's horribly saturated, and the mix wasn't particularly good to begin with. [:(]  Buy the CDs, they're worth it, believe me. . . .
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#46]
STP
U2
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I went because I like the MUSIC.  I would go to these "punk" show dressed as I always did.  Jeans and a t-shirt and the "punks" would look at me like they knew I was a geek.  Whatever.---------------------------------------------  
P.s. Are you saying Nirvana recorded Nevermind with jocks in mind?

View Quote

Yeah, my statement wasn't neccassarily directed at you. I figured you were ok. The only thing I was arguing with you was the part about Nirvana meaning anything to the scene.

As for Nirvana.......Man I don't know what they had in mind. I can't believe so many people had so much love for a degenerate, whiny, feminine little scumbag.

Also I see your from Colorado. I'm a Colorado native. You ever go see shows at the Gothic? The day that place closed was the day punk died for me. There were still a few decent shows downtown, but nothing ever could replace the Gothic. That was the beginning of the end for punk in Denver IMO. Nowadays even the local scene is somewhat of a joke.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't listen to it but would punk have possibly started with Iggy Pop - nasty bastard.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I see quite a few of you listed Megadeth.

BAH! Dave Musdane can suck my ass!!!

Lefty pusbag.

D.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#50]
[size=4]Jimi Hendrix[/size=4]

The Beatles
 Rolling Stones
 Led Zeppelin
 Rush
 Police
 U2
 New Order
 Black Crows
 Smashing Pumpkins
 Charlatans U.K.
 Oasis
 NIRVANA
 Soundgarden
 Alice In Chains
 RadioHead  

Miles Davis
 Dave Brubeck

& much more .........

(edited because I'm obsessive compulsive)

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top