Remember the government
gives networks
a free pass if they
incorporate public service
announcements into programming.

[url]http://turnerlearning.com/thewb/7thheaven/teased/pg_summary.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Naw it ain't propaganda to ease indoctrination GW!!!

Check this out under parents resources:

*Maintain contact with your child's school. Support the school's efforts to modify your child's behavior.
*Enlist help from the school to try and modify your child's behavior.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Where is the anti-gun?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
|  right here  |
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
'splain it to me Lucy
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Between the lines.

Program Resource link

[url]http://www.nssc1.org/[/url]
Causes stated:

Easy availability of guns. Despite the argument that people kill, guns don't, the easy accessibility of weapons to young people in this country is staggering.

A 1993 study of juvenile possession of firearms drawn from questionnaire volunteer responses of 835 male serious offenders in 6 juvenile correctional facilities in 4 states and 758 male students in 10 inner-city schools near those facilities revealed:
83 percent of inmates and 22 percent of the students had possessed guns;
55 percent of inmates carried guns all or most of the time in the year or two before being incarcerated; 12 percent of the students did so, with another 23 percent carrying guns now and then.
When asked how they would get a gun, 45 percent of the inmates and 53 percent of the students said they would "borrow" one from family or friends; 54 percent of the inmates and 37 percent of the students said they would get one "off the street."
A Harvard School of Public Health survey in 1993 revealed that of the 2,508 students surveyed (in 96 public and private elementary, middle and senior high schools, grades 6 through 12), 59 percent said that they could get a handgun if they wanted one. Two or three who knew where to get a handgun said that they could get one within a 24-hour period.
In the old days, when fistfights were the way to settle arguments, young people would walk away with a few bruises or black eyes. Today, however, with guns it is about body counts, not bruises. We have transitioned from the single shot zip guns to the six shooter to semi-automatic weapons. There seems to be a tendency to see how much more violent the next school-associated violent death can be.

Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Where on the show, or on the web page?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]

LOL!!!
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/pic.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I'll tell you what. My daughter just watched the whole show, and I caught some of it with her after you posted this. There was no anti-gun in it. You obviously missed the entire message. Don't make an issue where there isn't one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I just showed it.

And I'll tell you a secret...
Moby Dick is not about whaling.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A 1993 study of juvenile possession of firearms drawn from questionnaire volunteer responses of 835 male serious offenders in 6 juvenile correctional facilities in 4 states and 758 male students in 10 inner-city schools near those facilities revealed
View Quote

Isn't this real brilliant!  They polled felons and students in schools near those felons in the inner city.  In 4 states!  That is real representative of the whole country.  Which 4 states?  Probably the one's with the toughest gun laws:  NY, NJ, CA, and IL.  Gee, would two of the cities be Chicago and NYC?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 1993 study of juvenile possession of firearms drawn from questionnaire volunteer responses of 835 male serious offenders in 6 juvenile correctional facilities in 4 states and 758 male students in 10 inner-city schools near those facilities revealed
View Quote

Isn't this real brilliant!  They polled felons and students in schools near those felons in the inner city.  In 4 states!  That is real representative of the whole country.  Which 4 states?  Probably the one's with the toughest gun laws:  NY, NJ, CA, and IL.  Gee, would two of the cities be Chicago and NYC?
View Quote
                                                                                                                                        Makes me glad that i live here in Kentucky...NO silly ass-over the line gun laws here......I do feel for yall in those states...
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just showed it.

View Quote

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#13]
You know what I love about those statistics?  There is no way to check them or even an attempt to verify the validity of them.

...Dateline Anytown highschool...

89% of 17-18 year highschool boys swear they have gotten laid byat least one good lookin girl.

From the supposed study "When asked how they would get a gun, 45 percent of the inmates and 53 percent of the students said they would "borrow" one from family or friends; 54 percent of the inmates and 37 percent of the students said they would get one "off the street."

And we are supposed to take their word that can could really do that, and are not just dsplaying bravado.

And the part "and 758 male students in 10 inner-city schools near those facilities revealed:"

Wait a minute, isn't that stereo typing?  Isn't that a cardinal liberal sin?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
"When asked how big their member was, 87% of the male students replied that it was 8.5" or longer."

Anybody can claim anything. Whether they can produce what they are claiming is another thing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just showed it.

View Quote

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
View Quote

No ...
Turner in the class room as an educational resource, Turner in the classroom as an educational resource!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By gardenWeasel

*Maintain contact with your child's school. Support the school's efforts to modify your child's behavior.
*Enlist help from the school to try and modify your child's behavior.
View Quote
View Quote

Malpaso, just for the sake of discussion let's assume for the moment that there are no anti-gun/constitution statements made or messages being sent.
Even then if I still had kids in school (my grandkids are still too young to be getting into this) I would be very concerned with the first of these two statements.
Do you want the school [b]modifying[/b] your childs behavior? Before you answer bear in mind they are going to be modifying it into what [i]they[/i] think is the proper way for [i]your[/i] to behave and to [i]think[/i].
The schools responsibility is to teach children the three R's. It is not to shape their overall behavior and mold their idealologies. That, the last I checked, was the parents job.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That, the last I checked, was the parents job.
View Quote

I couldn't agree with you more, Gunslinger. However, the original topic here was bullying in schools, so the parents had already failed, and the modifying of behavior was not aimed at all kids, only the ones whose behavior was posing a danger to the other kids. Also, the show being spoken about had absolutely no anti-gun content in it. This was pointless ranting.

We, as gun owners, are always complaining about the antis taking things out of context. This original post was doing exactly that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Not too surprised here. A couple of years ago, and mind you I don't lower myself to watch that crap, I caught a preview of that pious little show and it had an anti-gun theme involving the father character getting shot. Was supposed to involve an out of control and violent teen whose daddy was some kind of loud mouth John Birch Society kind of guy. I think the gist of it was to paint gun owners as violence mongers. Remember, this dogshit comes from the fertile mind of Aaron Spelling, the same guy who brought you Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat, Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, 10000 Malibu Road, and other classicly crappy television shows. I now know why Elvis shot his boob tube.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#20]
It is "Hanoi Jane Fonda's" fault - bitchhhh.

(I'm now willing to pay $10.00 for the gardenWeasel name and self portrait.)
[:D]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I swear me and that girl went all the way, and she would give me a gun.  What a crock.  
I think you making mountains out of molehills, Garden Weasel.
Ice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top