Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2001 8:29:45 AM EDT
hi all, I am new here, although not new to guns.  I am new to ar15s.  I saw a bushmaster ar15 carbine (shorty) model for $899 here in GA.  is that a good price?  where can I get a better price?

the salesguy stated that bushmasters are BETTER in quality then colts and hencewhy the mililtary is using BMs now.  anyone want to comment on that?  also what's the difference between pre vs post ban?  finally does the collapsable stock have several settings?  or just full & closed?  thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
1. Bushmaster is NOT used by the military. I belive FN makes all of the M4's.

2. Pre-ban allows you to have an upper that has a threaded barrel and a bayonet lug. It also allows you to have a collapsible stock. Post-ban does not. Some say the post-ban barrels are more accurate, others like the pre-ban since they can have a flash hider. I own a post-ban, but it's all up to the buyer.

3. The collapsible stock comes with 4 settings. I have seen newer ones that have 6. The military uses ones with 4 settings. There are post-ban "collapsible" stocks too. They look like a collapsible stock, but do NOT collapse.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Added a new post to say that asking who makes a better AR-15 is going to open a whole can of worms. I like my Bushmaster. There are several different manufactures of AR-15's and each ones has supporters and detractors.

Av.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#3]
does that BM have the collapsable stock?  it's something I would like (given my stature).  if not can it be converted?  

when u say pre has the threaded barrel, u are reffering to the twist inside the barrel?  or to that the barrel END has threads, for, like a silencer?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Where in GA? There is a guy (Cleve) at Dixie Firearms in Dacula that sells those Bushy Shortys all day long for $680.00 Good selection in different configs for up to $780 I believe. He'll set you straight. I can't tell you which is better, Bushmaster, colt, etc...but then again nobody else can either. I can tell you this...You won't go wrong with the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Try this AR out.  Essentially it is a Bushmaster upper on a RRA lower.  Ed at Gunsmoke is a competent businessman and also trustworthy.  

[url]subguns.biggerhammer.net/nonnfaad.cgi?read=127040[/url]

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1407484&a=13698418&p=53570834[/img]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#6]
wow!  thanks!  Dacula is about 5 miles fr me ;-) hey why is that picture above, the gun is missing the handle/sight thing?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
wow!  thanks!  Dacula is about 5 miles fr me ;-)hey why is that picture above, the gun is missing the handle/sight thing?
View Quote

It's known as a FLAT TOP. Designed for a variety of different sighting optics. As well as the use of a detachable carrying handle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
does that BM have the collapsable stock?  it's something I would like (given my stature).  if not can it be converted?  

when u say pre has the threaded barrel, u are reffering to the twist inside the barrel?  or to that the barrel END has threads, for, like a silencer?
View Quote

A Bushmaster can have a collapsible stock. So can any AR-15 type rifle, AS LONG AS IT IS PRE-BAN LOWER. It is possible to add and remove stocks after you buy the rifle. FYI: Pre-ban is a rifle that was assembled before 9-94. You can put a NON-COLLAPSIBLE stock on a post ban.

What I meant by the threaded barrel is that the end of the barrel has threads to accept a flash hider or a muzzle brake. I don't think they make silencers that screw onto the end of the barrel. If they do, you would need to have a tax stamp.

Post-ban uppers do not have the threads on the end of the barrel. You MUST have a pre-ban lower to put a pre-ban upper on it. You can also put a post ban upper on a pre-ban lower.

Av.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Word of advice, don't believe crap a dealer tells you, unless you personally know them...well!

Don't trust anyone! Learn your stuff here, then go out and buy wisely!

View Quote

I agree with Sweep. I lurked on these boards for almost 6 months before I bought my Bushmaster.

And if you are looking to buy a pre-ban rifle... CHECK THE SERIAL NUMBER!!!! Do NOT trust the dealer! You should be able to call any of the manufactures and they will tell you if it is a pre-ban rifle. If they do not let you copy down the serial number, run away! I ran into a dealer like that, turned out he was selling post-ban lowers with pre-ban uppers! A big NO-NO!

Av.

Edited because I still can't spell, and I'll be damned if Garandman mocks me! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#11]
FN makes the regular M16A2 for the military

Colt makes the M4

Bushmaster makes some parts, sells some to foreign militaries, and some to agencies like the Dept of Energy.

Bushmaster is the closest to milspec commercially available rifle.  Biggest difference is the chromelined bore and chamber.

Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River Arms are all very good rifles.  There are differences, and they all can put out a bad unit.  However, choose any of them and you will probably be very happy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#12]
so I gotta have a pre-ban lower to put a collapsable stock on?  BTW doesn't the upper & lower need to have matching serial #s?

I just read on BM's site, the stock on that shorty is NOT collapsable.  is it possible then, to manually adjust the length of that stock?  if so that would still be fine w/me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#13]
hmmm wouldn't that compromise the structural integrity of the rifle sighting system?

Quoted:

It's known as a FLAT TOP. Designed for a variety of different sighting optics. As well as the use of a detachable carrying handle.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#14]
YES, you must have a verifiable preban to legally mount an adjustable collapsing stock.

The postban, fixed length faux "collapsible" stocks come fixed in 1 position and can't be changed.  They use full length buffers, hence they can't be shortened.

You would need to buy a preban collapsible stock and fix it to the length you want yourself.  This would involve some combination of pinning and probably JB weld.  I think some folks on this board have tried it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
hmmm wouldn't that compromise the structural integrity of the rifle sighting system?
View Quote

The scope or the carry handle?  The flat-top is ideal if you are are going to be mounting conventional magnified optics.  With magnified optics you want to mount as close to the the barrel as possible.  While a carry-handle mounted on a flat-top is not going to be as stable as a permanently mounted carry handle, the flat-top solution is definitely the more flexible option

That being said, I've got a permanent carry handle on mine, but I've mounted the Trijicon ACOG TA01 on it, which is designed to ride on the carry handle.  I'll likely get a flat-top in the future for the flexibility, and ability to mount more conventional magnified optics.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Roy, do u have a # for this shop?  because I could NOT find it in the phone books.

Quoted:
Where in GA? There is a guy (Cleve) at Dixie Firearms in Dacula that sells those Bushy Shortys all day long for $680.00 Good selection in different configs for up to $780 I believe. .
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#17]
WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK TO YA!
        [50]
      [newbie]
I would go with a bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#18]
thanks.  

hey I found a dixie firearms on the internet (dixieguns.com) and it looks to be the same shop (diff location-they musta moved) ;-)  cool.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I went out looking at a few gun stored before heading to dixie.  one store had a PWA AR15 w/the grenade launcher for only $1008.  that was interesting, didn't know the grenade launcher was legal.  but I never heard of the PWA brand, nor did I want a full length ar15.  

I stopped by a police/gun store & inquired about the BM.  they stated BM was under lock & key (& it was hard to get anything fr BM) because of their NEW MILITARY CONTRACT.  

I headed over to dixie and they did have a few ar15s in stock for $750-$800.  but they didn't have any of the "wannabe" M4 BM shorties.  Cleve stated that it was most likely going to $750 IF they could get any.  he also stated stuff fr BM is very tight right now.

I headed back to the store I originally saw the 2 BM shorties.  yes the stocks were NOT collapsable but they did mention I can just as easily buy a collapsable stock for $150 & slap it on (they however, didn't mention it was illegal).  I tried to get him to match dixie's price, he did not bulge on his $899 price, stating that he was only making $60 PROFIT (yeah right!!!).

maybe BM is in short supply.  but I'm NOT paying $900 when I know it can be had for less.  looks like I'll have to wait for a gun show...
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#20]
It ain't grenade launcher, its a flare laucher.  You can have the launcher, but to purchase any explosive rounds you are going to need an explosives tag.  I am not sure about whether the flare launcher and the grenade launcher are made the exact same.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It ain't grenade launcher, its a flare laucher.  You can have the launcher, but to purchase any explosive rounds you are going to need an explosives tag.  I am not sure about whether the flare launcher and the grenade launcher are made the exact same.
Ice
View Quote

The flare launcher WILL NOT fire explosive shells or tear gas shells.

Av.

Edited because I can't spell.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I stopped by a police/gun store & inquired about the BM.  they stated BM was under lock & key (& it was hard to get anything fr BM) because of their NEW MILITARY CONTRACT.  

...he also stated stuff fr BM is very tight right now.
View Quote

The gun store in town can get any type of Bushmaster I want from their distributor. As far as I know BM does not have a military contract.

If they did have a new contract you think they would announce it.....

Av.

Edit: Why is it that gun store owners shovel out crap by the bucket load?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I went out looking at a few gun stored before heading to dixie.  one store had a PWA AR15 w/the grenade launcher for only $1008.  that was interesting, didn't know the grenade launcher was legal.  but I never heard of the PWA brand, nor did I want a full length ar15.
View Quote

Watch out for this guy.  If it was a actual "grenade launcher"(40mm) it was illegal on a post ban.  37mm flare launcher would be legal.

View Quote

Watch out for this guy.  He didn't want to show you the guns or what?  Bushmasters are readily available and it sounds like a good story if he wants to jack up the prices on you.

I headed back to the store I originally saw the 2 BM shorties.  yes the stocks were NOT collapsable but they did mention I can just as easily buy a collapsable stock for $150 & slap it on (they however, didn't mention it was illegal).  I tried to get him to match dixie's price, he did not bulge on his $899 price, stating that he was only making $60 PROFIT (yeah right!!!).
View Quote

Watch out for this guy.  "Just slap a collapsable stock on the 'ole post ban????  I THINK NOT!!!!!!!

looks like I'll have to wait for a gun show...
View Quote

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE GUYS! PERIOD!

Nuckles. [smash]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let me guess: Bernie's? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#25]
there was (I believe) a question that everyone missed.  no there are no matching serial numbers on uppers and lowers.  Only the lowers have serial numbers and are considered the "gun" part, which you need an FFL to acquire.  Many people swap uppers on their lower receivers for variety.  This way you can have a 20 inch rifle and a 16 in carbine without paying 800+ for each.  Most uppers sell for around 500.  [red][b][u]Be advised you can only legally put a post ban configured upper on a post ban receiver[/u][/b][red].

Secondly there is a "tele" styled stock that doesn't collapse which is lighter compared to the regular A1/A2 stock and "looks cool"  Bushmaster sells it for around 100 plus shipping.  I've seen it for less at [url]www.ar15.tv[/url] for I believe 80 bucks plus shipping.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Welcome to the family.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#28]
well dam, guess ya can't trust ANYONE ;-(, lols.  BTW the police/gun store (Southeastern Firearms) did NOT have any BMs in stock...  hmm if I can't trust anyone locally, how in the world can I trust anyone outta state?  (saw some pretty good deals outta state, same gun for $680-799)  

so what's the scoop on the gunshow people? ;-)

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Watch out for this guy.  If it was a actual "grenade launcher"(40mm) it was illegal on a post ban.  37mm flare launcher would be legal.

View Quote

Watch out for this guy.  He didn't want to show you the guns or what?  Bushmasters are readily available and it sounds like a good story if he wants to jack up the prices on you.

View Quote

Watch out for this guy.  "Just slap a collapsable stock on the 'ole post ban????  I THINK NOT!!!!!!!

looks like I'll have to wait for a gun show...
View Quote

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE GUYS! PERIOD!

Nuckles. [smash]
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#29]
actually it's The Gun Store.  umm where is Bernie's?

Quoted:

Let me guess: Bernie's? [rolleyes]
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#30]
BTW thanks everyone for the welcome & ALL the advice.  I've learned a LOT just fr this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top