Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2001 11:43:58 PM EDT
I need to teach a co-worker to shoot.  She is an Illinois resident, and non-shooter.  However, ex -boyfriend (as in psycho) issues have made her consider the immediate purchase of a firearm.  I have set her up for an FOID card (Firearms Owner ID Card, for you Non-Illinois residents), and while she is waiting, I was going to teach her to shoot.  

She lives off of 94 near the Indiana Border.  Ranges in IL won't allow her to shoot without the FOID, hence, looking for an Indiana range to try out.  

I am looking for a range near to the IL border and near 94 so it is not a long trip--I'd rather  spend the time teaching her to shoot, not driving to the range.  I would also like a range that has at least a .22 and a couple of small revolvers for rental.  I have multiple guns I will bring so she can try them out, but I don't have any .22 pistols (as a starter) or small .38 or .357 revolvers (which is the likely purchase she will make).  I lean more towards the auto side myself, and the only .357 I have is a Smith  28 (not the smallest gun in that caliber).

Any pointers or directions would be helpful.

Also (for the Hell of it), do any of the ranges within a comfortable drive rent Full Auto's?  I wouldn't mind wasting a little money on some full auto fun myself while I am there.

Thanks,

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
AFARR, wish i could help ya out.  i'm not familiar with the ranges in the northern half of the state.  i do know there's one in pulaski county (or was that jasper) but i'm not sure if that's close enough for ya.

wait until the evening.  i'm sure the indiana guys will be able to help you out more.

moving on up....
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a range off 80-94 on Kennedy ave in Hammond, In called Deb's Gun Range. Don't know if they check for permits or FOID's. I do know that the state ranges the DNR does check for both.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Mike,

Thanks for the info.  I believe she already knew about Deb's, and it is fairly near to where she lives.  I assume that as the owner of the firearms, I can bring them and someone to shoot based on my FOID card, even if they are checking.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a range off 80-94 on Kennedy ave in Hammond, In called Deb's Gun Range. Don't know if they check for permits or FOID's. I do know that the state ranges the DNR does check for both.
View Quote

maybe they're supposed to, but the range officers don't check for anything at the atterbury range.  unless it's a difference because it's so close to the Illinois border and they're checking for that.  but as far as i know,  there isn't a requirement to shoot at a DNR range in indiana.  i mean legally you don't have to have a CCW permit to shoot there.  though i guess i could be mistaken about that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't have to have CCW but IF you are an Indiana resident you have to have a least a Hunting and target permit. When I go to Willow slough, I saw a DNR officer write tickets to about 5 guys without any kind of permits. 2 of them were from Ill. and had no FOID so they got tickets and asked to leave immediately. When he checked mine (CCW) was nice enough to point out that it expired at the end of that year (2000) and I should go for renewal. Oh yeah, The Range officer are not DNR Rangers, just more like safety officers. The real rangers come around every so often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top