Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2001 12:12:58 PM EDT
Andrea,

As promised here are my .02 cents of some firearms options based on the $$ limitations and needs you mentioned. My recommendations are based on hands on experience and will likely be disagreed with. I expect FLAMES!

You maybe able to find them cheaper, or find a FFL who'll order for cost + shipping & tax.

Starter Gun ($150 limit): Your not going to find much at this level that is good quality and US made. There's alot of junk.  Expect a limited lifetime, poor performance & some frustrations with most, with some very few exceptions, below this level.

RIFLE: Marlin Model 81TS .22lr bolt action rifle, tubular magazine (capacity 15-16 rds of long rifle)(your don't need a clip), synthetic stock & fixed sights. Marlin marketed some a year or two ago with a factory scope for a couple extra $$. Price (wholesale + 20% to be roughly retail): $150 - new. I bought one of these for my lady friend and she likes it, it's surprisingly accurate and you can use it to shoot rabbits and squirrels for dinner. You can put a relatively good but cheap .22 scope on it easily.

For a few $$ more...

Ruger 10/22 basic model. Semi-auto, clip fed. New roughly $180-200. Same uses as above, but like the AR it loads itself after each shot so be aware & safe.

HANDGUN: No recommendations at this level, buy a rifle.

SHOTGUN: No recommdations at this level. Start with a rifle.  You can find a cheap shotgun, but you'll likely out grow it quikly.

PROTECTION/SPORT USE: Here's some options, but you'll have to save up for them. I know you're on a budget.

RIFLE: None right now. Best to spend $$ on handgun and/or shotgun.

HANDGUN: Not much quality until you hit the $300 point.  You can find cheaper but some are surplus foreign guns that may be difficult to support (get fixed or find spares for), and others are junk = major frustrations which you don't want starting out.

#1 - Revolver

Ruger GP100, .357 (you can start out shooting .38 special wadcutters rounds that done kick abit & work up from there), blue finish, 4 inch barrel. PRICE: ~$350-360.

Other revolvers: Taurus brand equivalents are about the same price.

#2 - Semi-auto

European American Arms (EAA)(www.eaacorp.com) Compact Witness Polymer 9mm semi-auto. Good reputation. Based on classic and one of the best 9mm ever....the CZ-75. Polymer frame saves weight & it's temperature neutral (it won't get cold or warm as the temps change). 10 rd capacity. PRICE: ~$310-320. 9mm ammo is cheap, effective and controllable.

Other Witness option - If you get the full-sized steel framed Witness 9mm they make a .22lr conversion unit for cheap practicing.

SHOTGUN: BONUS Two guns for the price of one!

Mossberg Model 500 12 gauge COMBO. (I know I recommeded a .410 or 20 ga, but you can likely grow into a 12 ga relatively quickly). Pump action shotgun, reliable. You get a 18.5 " barrel with rifle sights for possible deer hunting, and a compact package for self/home defense.  Also a 28" vent rib barrel for hunting and clay target shooting (fun factor).  PRICE: ~$230. My lady friend has one and likes it.

These are, IMHO, the best I would recommend to you in these price ranges. Good luck. If you have further questions ask if you want.

Regards,

Talyn
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Man thanks for the awesome advice..[<]:)] Its nice to see a kindred spirit, rather than a bunch of tin foil hats and flamers.. [}:(]
Keep the GOOD advice coming!
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Just trying to help.  BTW, I could remeber Marlin's web address but I'm sure you can find it.  Ruger's is www.ruger-firearms.com.

Hang in there.

Talyn

PS: When you do get something if you can afford to go to a shooting class for women that would be a good idea.  Then practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Andrea = andrusean ???
[:K]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Andrea,

If you don't want to go with a 12 gauge shotgun Mossberg makes a basic Model 500 in 20 gauge with a 26" vent rib barrel and interchangeable chokes.  You should find it for about $225 - $230.

Talyn
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Hoplite was selling police trade in S&W M66's for $219, don't know how good the condition is on these guns other than what Hoplite lists them as.  They don't have a web site, but if you pick up a copy of Shotgun News they almost always run an ad there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a thought BB but are there any ranges in your area that rent? somthing you may want to investigate. If you can find one it will let you try a variety of guns without having to buy one. Or if your in an area with others from ar.15.com then there may be a shoot arranged in your area and you will get to try a lot of different weapons. if not then look for a local range with rentals. it's a great way to see what gun suits you. i agree with talyn's recomendation on the ruger gp100, one of the best 357's for home defense and a great quality gun. But try before you buy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Ms. Bombshell-
For a Good handgun, in the $150.00 price range, may I suggest the 9x18mm Makarov.  Fixed barrel, ammo is cheap, extra mags are very cheap, easy to use, powerful enough for Self defense use, accurate enough for casual target work.  Extra parts are easy to come by (email me, I got a TON of spare everything).

Check www.makarov.com for lots of information.

Can be found with extra mag, holster, and cleaning rod for about 125-150.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top