Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2001 6:34:36 PM EDT
I live in Illinois, and I was wondering what the laws are for carrying knives.  I would ideally like to carry a non-foldable knife, possibly in a leg sheath or in some other manner.  Any idea of the legality of this?

I have heard from some people that the knife cannot be concealed and from others that you can conceal the knife, but it can only have a certain blade length...

I figured the laws may change locally, but as a general rule, what is safe and what is not?

What could be a situation (other than a traffic stop) where a police officer could actually search a person and find a knife (just in case it may be illegal in that area, and not locally, what are the odds of them finding it?)

Since Illinois decided they wanted to be gun nazi's, I figured maybe a decent non-folder would be a nice option, given a sticky situation...
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I live in Illinois, and I was wondering what the laws are for carrying knives.  I would ideally like to carry a non-foldable knife, possibly in a leg sheath or in some other manner.  Any idea of the legality of this?

I have heard from some people that the knife cannot be concealed and from others that you can conceal the knife, but it can only have a certain blade length...

I figured the laws may change locally, but as a general rule, what is safe and what is not?

What could be a situation (other than a traffic stop) where a police officer could actually search a person and find a knife (just in case it may be illegal in that area, and not locally, what are the odds of them finding it?)

Since Illinois decided they wanted to be gun nazi's, I figured maybe a decent non-folder would be a nice option, given a sticky situation...
View Quote

Contact your local political representatives and ask 'em.  They seem to have heard from the anti side in the past - let them know your side of the story.  And get and read a hardcopy of the regulations.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Here you go :

[url]http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/il.txt[/url]

Illinois Criminal Code 720 ILCS 5/24-1. Unlawful Use of
  Weapons. (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use
  of weapons when he knowingly... (2) Carries or possesses
  with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a
  dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto,
  broken bottle or other piece of glass... or any other
  dangerous or deadly weapon of like character...
- 720 ILCS 5/33A-1... A person is considered armed with a
  dangerous weapon... when he carries on or about his person
  or is otherwise armed with a category I or category II
  weapon. (b) A category I weapon is a [firearm or] a knife
  with a blade at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk,
  switchblade knife, stiletto, or any other deadly or
  dangerous weapon of like character.
- 720 ILCS 5/24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons. (a) A person
  commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he
  knowingly: (1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses
  or carries any... knife commonly referred to as a
  switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens
  automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring
  or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic
  knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as
  a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material,
  or compressed gas...
- 720 ILCS 5/33A-1... A person is considered armed with a
  dangerous weapon... when he carries on or about his person
  or is otherwise armed with a category I or category II
  weapon. (b) A category I weapon is a [firearm or] a knife
  with a blade at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk,
  switchblade knife, stiletto, or any other deadly or
  dangerous weapon of like character.

Illinois Case Law:
- "Possession of hunting knife is not a crime; however,
  knowingly carrying or possessing dangerous weapon with
  intent to use same unlawfully against another constitutes
  offense..." (1982)
- "Weapon not listed in statute can become "dangerous weapon"
  when it is used in a manner dangerous to well being of
  individual threatened, and knife with blade less than 3
  inches in length can be dangerous weapon if used in such
  manner." (1991)
- "A straight-blade razor did not constitute a per se
  dangerous weapon, for purposes of armed violence
  charge..." (1987)
- "Walking cane, even if not per se dangerous, was...
  transformed by defendant's usage into a dangerous weapon."
  (1977)

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
ColtShorty, Im no john arshcroft, so Im having bit of trouble interpreting those laws...

Basically, from what I am understanding, I can carry ANY knife with a blade under 3 inches long at any time.

What I am confused to is this...section 720 ILCS 5/33A-1 says that I am "armed with a dangerous weapon" if the blade is over 3 inches long, however, an Illinois case law states that a hunting knife is exempt from this law, so long as its intent is something other than harming another person.

Now...what is the definition of a hunting knife?

for the sake arguement, can the M9 bayonet be defined as a hunting knife?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother and I were fishing at Burns harbor a few years ago. WE were at the boat launch area off of the access road to Meigs Field.
It was summer and a lot of people were around. The Grateful Dead were playing at Soldier Field just across Lake Shore Drive.
My brother was coming back from the porta-potties and walked by a group of 8 or 9 Chicago cops. One of the cops noticed the 4 1/2 inch Buck lockblade in the sheath on my brother's belt. All he did was casually suggest to my brother, that he might want to consider putting the knife in his pocket.

It's up to you, but if you're a clean-cut looking guy, polite and well-spoken, you probably won't be bothered.

I carry an Al Mar Auto-Sear without a lot of worry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Hunting knife??  Back in my hunting days I used to carry an old Mauser bayonet. I remember running into a couple of conservation cops & they never said anything about it. Of course I WAS hunting at the time.
As far as carrying ANY knife with a 3" or smaller blade, I would'nt recomend any kind of auto knife in Illinois. My youngest nephew got caught with his switchblade last year, cost him (his mom) some $$ & about 6 months probation.
I would say that the attitude of the LEO who observed whatever knife you carry will be the deciding factor. I carry auto's on me alot & also large sheath knives in my vehicles at times & I don't really think about the legality of it much. But if I remember correctly you are alot younger than I so an LEO would probably give you a harder time than he would give me if caught.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The police have alot of discression. If you plan on getting a good job any time in the future, I would err on the side of caution.  You can never outrun your record.  

On the other hand, if you already have accomplished your goals in life and can afford a good lawyer, then you can aford the luxury of civil disobediance.   Just my .02c
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top