Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2001 3:05:28 PM EDT
I was over at the University of Washington's Medical Center the other day signing up with a new doc.  And I was given, as usual, a nice stack of new paperwork to fill out and...  on the third to last page was asked whether or not I kept firearms in my home!?!  I lied and said NO!  Thinking of course that it was none of anyone's business.  I've heard that health care providers and doctors were asking the question but, was surprised (kind of) when I actually saw it on an official form.  
Anyone else run across this type of questioning yet?  What was your reply?
W.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I too had this question on paperwork when seeing a new doctor.
I answered:"I refuse to answer this question".
I then asked my doctor why this question was on there and what the hell did it have to do with my health.
He told me:"We need to know if there are any teenagers in the house that might want to harm themselves".

I didn't buy it and assumed they are wanting this info if they deem you to be mentally unstable.

Either way they don't know one way or the other.
Although I guess a refusal to answer is a "yes" in their eyes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Good, it is none of their damn business.  Anyone who wants to know and you don't tell on your own will should not know.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I had my physical last week and the question was on it.  I just left it blank and the P.A. didn't bring it up.  It was in the safety section of the form and asked if you kept guns in the home and if you did were they locked up.  I really don't see it as that big of a deal, it also asked if I had smoke detectors and properly adjusted water heater.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask the "Doc" how many malpractice lawsuits he has pending. Then have him reevaluate how safe you are in his office.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife signed-up with a new OB/GYN two months ago and there was nothing concerning firearms on the forms.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
When I took my children to see the pediatrician, she asked the question about guns, but she didn't give me time to respond, and went on to the next question, she's a cool lady, because in her heart I think she know its private, and has nothing to do with health care.  I think the question is part of the AMA to divert attention away from itself, i.e. "doctors have killed more people than my AR15."
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had my physical last week and the question was on it.  I just left it blank and the P.A. didn't bring it up.  It was in the safety section of the form and asked if you kept guns in the home and if you did were they locked up.  I really don't see it as that big of a deal, it also asked if I had smoke detectors and properly adjusted water heater.
View Quote

two questions, well, three.

first, do you really think it's not a big deal?
second, did you leave the other questions regarding smoke detectors and water heaters blank?
third, if you didn't think it was a big deal, then why didn't you answer it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I said yes, all kinds of them.

For hobbies I said biathlon, skiing and shooting, high power rifle competition, practical shooting sports, archery, etc. etc. etc.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I gave my family strict instructions on this.... Refuse to answer.

I was informed that they(My daughter taking my grandson for treatment, while living with me) Answered with a simple "no"....

Better than nothing!

We are talking through things....[chuckle]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Just write NOYFB on that section.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

two questions, well, three.

first, do you really think it's not a big deal?
second, did you leave the other questions regarding smoke detectors and water heaters blank?
third, if you didn't think it was a big deal, then why didn't you answer it?
View Quote

I actually left the whole safety section blank as I was in a hurry and they handed me the form after I was already in my scivies. (medical assistant didn't hand it to me when she should have)  I really don't think of it as a big deal.  I've got a lot more things to worry about other than a nurse practitioner knows whether I lock up my guns or not.  It doesn't go into some secret database, hell, I wouldn't be suprised if they just shitcanned the whole form after I left.  The whole questionaire is to give the doctor a picture of your lifestyle habits, if you check something off with a circle, they talk to you about it, if you check off the square they ignore it.  If I check the one that says I don't use my seatbelt the doctors says, "It might be a good idea if you used your seatbelt." Geez, lighten up a bit guys, there are real boogey men to go after. (like the AMA)
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
My PA always asks me about my guns, as I do about his. He just got a new AR, don't know what kind yet, but apparently he wanted to brag that he shot this last weekend, 500 rnds at the police combat course (he is Reserve SWAT now) and he did not get a bruise (as I did when I broke in the M1A with only 100 rnds- the bastard!

Don
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top