Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2001 6:52:09 PM EDT
Was at the range today and about 2:30 or so, a bunch of guys show up.  They had some AR's and a couple of other guns.

They're shooting regular single shots and then the one guy lets loose with what I estimate to be a 5 round burst of full automatic fire from what looked like a CAR15.

I was on the back bench cleaning my vmatch.  Everyone and I mean EVERYONE that was close to by stopped what they were doing and looked at this guy.

The rangemaster got on the horn and said "no rapid fire allowed"  he then said for the guy to check his rifle 'cause it sounded like it was having a feeding problem.    One of the other range guys came over and asked the guy if he could help him check out the rifle.  The guy declined and the range guy asked if it was a full auto gun.  The moron said that it was.  At that point, the rangemaster said that it was illegal and that ATF does not permit these rifles to be posessed in CA under any circumstances.

Those boys packed up and left and they'd only been there about 1/2 hour.

Right after they left, some guy came walking over asking everyone with AR's if they were the one that fired the full auto burst.   He went and talked with the rangemaster - I think he was a cop or something.

Never heard full auto fire in person except from an MP5 when I was at the FBI tour in Wash D.C.

It was pretty cool, although I don't think I'd be able to personally control a burst like that.  Like how in the hell could you ever hit anything?   Never knew you could rip through 5 rounds that quick.  I know there is no way that I could ever pull the trigger that fast  !
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What range was this at?

I dont think there is any law that states the ATF forbids full autos in CA. Class III permits are availible here, but they are limited to the elite in the movie industry and the like. Next to impossible to get a permit, but they can be had in CA.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2001 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC:

Fed law says that FA is allowed if allowed by state law.

CA law says "NO" although it's theoretically possible to get a permit.

So, since the State said no, it's a violation of Fed law as well.

Which range was that?  That was one damn decent rangemaster to give the guy a chance by calling it a "feeding problem."

And, maybe the guy was a moron for thinking he was allowed FA guns in CA, but was being honest when he admitted having a FA weapon.  No, wait, you're right.  He should have known better than to admit anything!
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
What range? ASR has cops there shooting full auto all the time on weekdays. Heck they`ll even shoot your target and shred your target frame, then when you ask for a couple bucks for the deposit on the frame the leo will look at you and say there is no deposit. (not for cops anyway)
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]
These kids definitely were not cops, but I think the guy that came asking about them was a cop.  

They were the kind of people that you don't like to be seated next to at the range because you feel like they're either gonna end up accidentally shooting you, or that they're going to steal you stuff when your back is turned.  

Earlier, before the one dolt fired off his burst of full auto, his friend stepped over the yellow line during closed range for cease fire and picked a bag up off his bench.  The range master had to repeatedly tell him to put it back and get behind the line . . so much so that there were two of the range guys screaming at him .  . . then the friend was pissed off and calling the range guys all sorts of names behind their backs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top