Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2001 6:10:23 AM EDT
Since this forum is just a wealth of information if anyone knows about tires help me out, I've got to go in like 2 hours from now and I don't know what I want.

What's the difference between touring tires and performance tires?

Car is a 99 Poncho Grand Prix GTP I wouldn't really call it a performance car, and I don't drive it like it is. It's pretty mushy in the corners, so I don't want to make that too much worse. It's got Goodyear Eagles on it now, they are way noisy and terrible on wet surfaces.

Good wet traction is probably what is most important to me, I don't really like FWD cars to begin with and after once having the rear slide out on one going around a corner on the highway in the rain and finding that in a FWD there isn't crap yuo can do about it, except watch everything spin around you, I'd like to have a little insurance since that was freakin scary. And my current car is WAY heavier than that one was.

People been telling me that touring tires are really better than performance tires, how so? and also some are rated as 80k mile does this mean they're harder? does that mean less traction? noisier? bumpier?

I really don't know anythign about buying tires since all my previous experiences were for blem eagles and firehawks since I knew they'd be promptly converted to smoke, but this is a different kind of car and sadly because it means I'm getting old I guess I'm a different kind of driver. And I really don't have the cash for P-zeros or anything real expensive especially since they are 225/60/r16s and by law I have to have something h-rated. help?

I saw some Goodyear Touring Vivas that seemed like would be good but I dunno they are 80k mile tires and I don't know if thats good or bad. And my boss at work says michelin touring t/a is good, but he's a meth-addict so I dunno. This joker at the store was trying to sell me "Ryken Raptors" WTF???

this is the most poorly thought out, bad grammar scatterbrained post I think I have ever made but I'm to lazy to edit and rearrange and I know y'all will figure it out!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
This site has some useful information including an explanation of tire codes:

[url]www.tirerack.com[/url]

But very briefly, touring tires are sort of a compromise in performance. They're designed for normal everyday use with limited performance in a wide range of conditions. They're optimized for long tread wear, fuel economy (low rolling resistance), and reduced tread noise. They may have limited wet pavement performance.

Performance tires are usually associated with dry pavement driving. They may sacrifice tread wear for adhesion and cornering ability. The tread blocks are large and provide the largest contact patch possible. Some brands feature a design where the tread blocks come together during a turn to form a solid block (no grooves).

Since I live in the snow belt, I have two sets of tires. During the summer, I switch to a decent set of dry weather tires that have some rain performance. During the winter, I switch to dedicated snow/ice tires (Bridgestone Blizzaks).

---------------------------------------------------

Here's an example of tire model/brand that might suit your needs:

[url]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_re950.jsp[/url]

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
To add to Wadman's post, I will just say that you SHOULD NOT be cheap when buying tires. Many people get tight when it comes to buying tires and this is a big mistake. Get the best that you can afford and make sure they're what you need. The website he suggested is a good place to get information and an idea of what you can spend and what your choices are.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like Michelin and upper end BFGs. NEVER heard of a bad story about Michelins. Pirellis (sp?) and Yokhammas (sp?) are also ex. tires. Dont skimp on tires, they're the only thing keeping you on the road.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I got 90k out of a set of Michelin MXV4's on my work car (honda accord). They handle excellent, ride great and are super quiet.

I'll buy another pair. As a matter of fact, I already did!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Michelin, Michelin, Michelin!!!
You won't be sorry!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Never go down in speed rating from what the manufacturer installed on vehicle. "H" rate tires are good to speeds of 130 mph. You can go to "V" rate, will cost more, will usually handle better performance wise, but may have increased tire waer as they are usually softer.
Michelin is usually the best easy tire to get ahold of. I personally been using the "XGT V4" for the last 6yr (but mine are on aluminum wheels that come off in the winter for steel wheel with snow tires). If you go down in speed rate, now the car has the ability to go faster than the tire can safely handle, as long as YOU UNDERSTAND THIS and abide by that knowledge. The vehicle may suffer some minor degradation in handling as the tires may not compliment the abilities of the suspensions performance characteristics.....Won't find $25 tires on a Porsche.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top