Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2001 2:14:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
On the old board in a featured photo section there was an AR15 with a bolt carrier failure.  The carrier was split at the cam pin location and the entire upper reciever split in two (read blown apart).  The bolt was left sticking out of the breach "like a sparkplug"...anyone remember this, saved the picture?
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://www.fulton-armory.com/Kaboom.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
ouch....that had to hurt
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I still have the pictures posted at....

[url]http://briefcase.yahoo.com/quarterbore[/url]

Yes.... pistol powder in an 223 case caused this!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#9]
WOW!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
WOW is right!  Was anyone hurt?

Details please?
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#11]
this is going to sound like a dumb question, but it does say junior member there to the left don't it! What is the diff in pistol powder and rifle powder? and Squib load? does that mean pistol powder in a rifle cartridge?
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#12]
erickm:

Pistol powder and rifle powder are not interchangeable.  They burn at different rates.  This since the powder burns at different rates it may create pressure that the brass, and firearm are not made to handle.  I don't know if there is a technical defination for a squib load, but if you don't get enough powder in your shell, some times it goes poof and sometimes it goes (KABOOOM) see ar pic.  I'v had squib loads in  a revolver where the bullet got stuck in the barrel, no harm done since I caught it before I fired another round. I drove the stuck  bullet out with a dowel.  Only my pride hurt.  ** thats one reason you should only shoot your own reloads, you never know what quality control your friend, neighbor, buddy considers acceptble.  I know a guy who blew up a ruger gp 100 about 4 years ago, he laughed about it when it happened. What an idiot.    
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes details,  I also was wondering how well our AR protect us when they go KABOOM.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]
This is the story as I recall it from the old forum....  The shooter/reloader of this rifle was shooting at a DCM/CMP match when the KABOOM happened.  The weapon came apart as in the pictures ([url]briefcase.yahoo.com/quarterbore [/url]) and the shooter had a minor cut on his face as I recall but no major injuries.  Nobody to either side of the shooter was hurt either.  Needless to say the gun.... note it is a post ban serial # with a pre-ban upper (((HMMMMM))).... is no longer an illegal semi auto assault rifle nor will it ever be again!

The accident happend on the second or third shot as I recall and the problem was discovered when a bunch of the loads were taken appart and it was discovered that pistol powder was in some of the cartridges.

Pistol powder burns MUCH faster then rifle powder.  In the process you get a dramatic increase in pressure very quickly and KABOOM the gun can't take it!  This shooter was darned lucky and I have left the pictures as a reminder to those that reload of the importance of paying attention to what you are doing!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know jack of the specifics of this photo, but what QB said is what I also heard. My link is from [url=www.fulton-armory.com]Fulton Armory[/url], I buy parts and such there because they always have good parts, albiet high as giraffe nuts.

If you wanna reload, get the Sierra, Nosler, and Lyman reloading manuals from Midway or yer local dealers (they are on the shelf several places in Atlanta), and READ FIRST. They have all the instruction and data you need to get started. Never trust a "buddies pet load". Trust me on this one, folks, a little ignorance goes a long way here, so learn the basics from proper manuals and find someone who reloads around you to get you started.

If you fire ANY LOAD FROM ANYWHERE AND IT SOUNDS FUNNY - cease fire, call an alibi, and check your barrel for an obstuction before firing again. I don't care if it it LC"01 M855 issued at the Reserve range, CHECK THE BARREL!

Rant off. I love you guys - be safe! [BD]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top