Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2001 5:39:18 AM EDT
Saw the first report that the SAS was engaged two nights ago and finally saw confirming report last night.
No details, just a one sentence statement each time.
Osama Bin will find there are many better enemies to fight than the SAS - unarmed civilians for one.

"Getsome - Getalot"
[kill]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
God bless the SAS!  I wish them all the best.  Usama had better watch his as$!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The fact that an SAS fire-team on a recon mission (and "apparently" blowing it) has received the press coverage that it has, is interesting.
Any Afghans that try to hunt these "4" men down are going to be in for a BIG surprise. (If they're stupid)
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally don't put much stock in these kinds of reports.  They will never be confirmed or denied.  It's best to let those on the ground go about their work.  They're all more than capable of taking care of business over there.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
SAR, stock or not this is apparently true.
I'm probably at least as concerned as the average about the handling of classified information but repeating two news reports seem alright to me.

Further apparently not just a "fire-team" is engaged but the SAS 22nd Regiment.  (Perhaps elements of the 22nd but my info states flatly the 22nd regiment.

A prayer or two might be in order.  Probably most of us can agree on that subject ??
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Makes sense, the SAS was 'inserted' into the Falkland Islands, what, about a month before the actual British invasion to retake their territory.

Even if it's not correct, it's good psyops to make your enemy think someone's out there in the night.  Makes for some very interesting evenings for guardposts.

Eric The('Payback'ForKhyberPassMassacre?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Agreed, prayers for the SAS.
Of course The British have Ghurkas
still don't they?? Ghurkas with
funny knives, who grow up in a
mountainous area vs well anyone....
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm probably at least as concerned as the average about the handling of classified information but repeating two news reports seem alright to me.

Further apparently not just a "fire-team" is engaged but the SAS 22nd Regiment.  (Perhaps elements of the 22nd but my info states flatly the 22nd regiment.

A prayer or two might be in order.  Probably most of us can agree on that subject ??
View Quote

Absolutely.  I'm just saying we all need to be careful about these kinds of reports.  

Rest assured, we're *all* over there (except my unit of course).  [;)]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have no clue on how the 22nd SAS works do you?

Its a umbrella unit that conducts administration and training. Like our 75th Ranger Regiment. It never fights as a whole unit. They rairly fight in a unit larger than a patrol of 16. And for recon work usually in the brick (fire team) of four which was clearly described as what was engaged outside of Kabul.

Assuming that it really happened and the Taliban didnt just start shooting at each other in their panic and then blamed it on the SAS to cover their embarrasment. The world has yet to learn to fear US SpecOps units because we have so rarely used them. The SAS has decades of experience in working in this part of the world, going back to Aden in the 60's. They are well known and utterly FEARED across South West Asia. When some bad shit happens and the Taliban et.al can't explain what happened- or dont want to- they will blame it on the SAS regardless if they were responsible or not. The Irish have the same hangup- every dead or missing IRA member is presumed to be the victim of the SAS untill proved otherwise- and sometimes not even then.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
OLY-M4gery, I had forgotten about the Ghurkas.  Yes, send them in.  They would be right at home.

My father saw the Ghurkas fight.  I don't know any details, but he once mentioned it when we got our first meat grinder (to make hamburger).  He said watching it reminding him of the Ghurkas.  He didn't eat a hamburger that night it bothered him so much, and for him to have skipped eating, the memory must have been horrible.  A neighbor of mine growing-up had a compound fracture, and his femur was sticking-out of his skin.  My father ate a tomato sandwich while driving the kid to the hospital.  I wish I had gotten more detail out of him about this before he passed away.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top