Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2001 6:02:51 PM EDT
Found out today that the 82nd has a task force in Pakistan close to the border to Afganistan.
I dont know what Brigade is there.  I have know idea which one was on alert cycle (which would be the brigade that was sent).

Told ya they would use us :)

I just hope I dont miss the combat jump that will probably be used to insert them.

That little bronze star on the jump wings is super rare outside of special ops.

In WWII the 82nd had 4 mabye 5 combat insertions by parachute and then only once after that in Panama.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, don't take this the wrong way, but- LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS! (esp. through the Internet!)
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The CONUS REMF's will probably want a little bronze star for their bolo badges (Expert Driver] to match their spiffy new black beanies.

[bounce]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I found out thru the news.  I know all about COMSEC!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
What news outlet?

Didnt find it on a Yahoo news search
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I would love to be a paratrooper, but it seems like such an antiquated method, doesn't it? Until you get to a place like Afghanistan where you don't have a secured land and sea logisticasl route, no friendly airfields, etc.  

When this shit went down, I said if I was CINC, I would put the 101 and 82 down in northern alliance territories and runb interference on any Taliban concentrations with airpower, use special forces to hunt al-quaida leadership.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Found out today that the 82nd has a task force in Pakistan close to the border to Afganistan.
I dont know what Brigade is there.  I have know idea which one was on alert cycle (which would be the brigade that was sent).

View Quote

No they're not. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
strange thing how every man that has never seen combat is just dying to jump into it.  your time will come and you will wish it was over before you hit the ground. be careful what you wish for though. I agree we need to go kick some major ass but just dont wish it on your self...pat
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
strange thing how every man that has never seen combat is just dying to jump into it.  your time will come and you will wish it was over before you hit the ground. be careful what you wish for though. I agree we need to go kick some major ass but just dont wish it on your self...pat
View Quote

I've never done it but I believe you!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I found it on the "Daily Telegragh" or something like that.

The link of the story was on Worldnet Daily.

------------------------------------------
"strange thing how every man that has never seen combat is just dying to jump into it. your time will come and you will wish it was over before you hit the ground. be careful what you wish for though. I agree we need to go kick some major ass but just dont wish it on your self...pat"
------------------------------------------

BTW I have been in combat in the 82nd and dont want to miss this for the world.  I've taken rounds and artillary so speak for your self plz!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
paterpk, i remember when my father would say a VERY FEW words about his combat experience in WW I, he was mounted artilery. there was only one story he told me about and that was just a few lines at that. he was fireing one day when the battery next to him was hit, quite a few body parts were splattered all over his uniform. he said, nothing he could do about that fella, so he just kept on fireing.

i think if i was in that same position i would have hurled what ever was in my stomach. matter of fact, i'm not any where near as tough as dad was.

after watching the history and training of the special forces and seals, i'm glad we have some brave young men, i'm not that good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top