Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2001 3:34:25 PM EDT
What do you all think of the AMT backup DAO?  My dad just brought me his and asked me to make the slide work smoother.  About 3/4 of the way back into battery it catches a little bit.  If you let it down slow you can make the weapon stick open.  It is getting a little better though.

[b]SEE BELOW FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION[/b]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
How many rounds has been fired thru this gun?  I think it has been not been thoroughly broken-in yet.  Maybe a couple of drops of Breakfree on the slide rails, could help.  I have fired a 45ACP version a few years ago, it was okay.  I had problems fully loading the magazine because of sharp edges on the feed lips.  For me personally, I liked the single-stack Glocks better though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine carries an AMT Backup .45. He has let me use it before and it is a very nice gun for conceled carry. I still prefer the Sig Sauer P226 for kickass performance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the AMT have a disconnector like a model 1911?  Perhaps it's that that it is hanging up on.  Probably needs more rounds thru it.

BTW, if anyone has one for sale in southern kalifornia please let me know.  I can no longer get it from out of state and an FFL can't sell it to me either.  It has to be private party thru an FFL.  Another stupid ass kalifornian law...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured it out.  The hammer of the double action was was not worn in yet.  Every time the hammer dropped on the DA it got hung up on the still sharp edges of the slide.  I took a whetstone and put some hoppies oil on it and went over the edge a few times.  For good measure I also went over the rails themselves to smooth all the machining marks off of them.  Now it is as smooth as glass.  Thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I seem to remember the AMT .45 backup had like a 16 pound trigger pull,something ridiculous like that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I seem to remember the AMT .45 backup had like a 16 pound trigger pull,something ridiculous like that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
You can say that again![;)]
It feels damn near that!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
With a 16lb tirgger you can be assured that the possibility of an unintented discharge will be rather small.  I had forgotten all about that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Today I went out and shot my handy work.  In the five shots it had 4 failure to feed and 1 light primer strike.  I can't get the darn thing to go into battery!  Dad thought it was the flat noses of the Winclean ammo catching on the feed ramp, so we tried round nose and had the same results.  
What could be causing this?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one of the .380 DAO models the first year they came out. Never had a failure to feed but did have to send it back twice for light primer strikes. It never was completely cured and rather than bet my life on it, I sold it. The size to weight ratio was unacceptable as well, the slide and frame are over built. I like the idea of a good affordable .380 pocket pistol but the AMT isn't the one for me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Agree with other posts, I'd just keep shooting it if its functioning OK. It'll break itself in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I must be lucky. I have an AMT 380 backup and I love the thing! I have put four different types of ammo in the clip trying to make it jam and it has chewed through everything I've put in it. I guess I just got a good one! Good luck with yours.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
This one is .45 ACP.  Could the mag be something to do with the FTF?  The mag is basically a short 1911 mag.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought my 45 DAO a few years ago. I had no problems with FMJ ammo but using Black Talons it would not feed at all. They would nose dive into a part of the frame on both sides of the feedramp. The front of the bullet would'nt even make it to the feedramp
So I trimmed back the excess material, which to me, looked like it should have been removed at the factory. After that was removed the bullet would then make it to the feedramp but, of course, the feedramp was at the wrong angle. It was a bit too steep & the round would bottleneck almost every time.
So, fortunately the Dremel tool was still out so I changed the angle & polished the hell out of it & now it runs like a champ on any ammo I feed it.  
Of course the other option I had, & so do you, is to send it back to the factory & let them fix it. That would have been easier for me but the tinkerer in me said, naaaahhhhhh!!

I don't know if this helped you or not but it might give you some ideas on what else to look for.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Today I went out and shot my handy work.  In the five shots it had 4 failure to feed and 1 light primer strike.  I can't get the darn thing to go into battery!  Dad thought it was the flat noses of the Winclean ammo catching on the feed ramp, so we tried round nose and had the same results.  
What could be causing this?
View Quote

I agee with ECS.  Keep shooting it until it breaks in.  I put thru 3 mags on the gun tried, and worked flawless.  AMT guns had a rather variable quality control, some guns worked like a champ, some not at all.  Since Harry Sanford the original owner died, the organization that manufactured your AMT DAO has been sold.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't say I have ever seen anything from AMT that worked.  The Break-Up in any of its configurations is a gigantic POS.  I saw a .380 one break, and shot a .45 that was arguably the worst gun I have ever shot.  It took two fingers to pull the trigger with its Schwarzenegger-class pull, and even after that light hits were the rule of the day.  And it failed to chamber about half the time.  It handled like a brick and was about as heavy.

What was the question again?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#17]
They are just Shitty guns!
Use it for a Trot Line Sinker
cpermd
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I did a little more smoothing and will test it tomorrow.  Thanks for all the suggestions, I will keep you updated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top