Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2001 3:07:34 PM EDT
Can someone please shed some light on what the army's current policy is on recruits with low arches (sometimes known as flat feet)?  I didn't even know I had them till my wife noticed a little while ago.

I jog regularly and can already easily pass the army's physical fitness test.  I also have played sports and have never had any foot or other related physical problems of any kind.  Copied from the medical standards document, the armys description of their policy is as follows:

"Pes planus (flat feet), pronounced cases, with decided eversion of the foot and marked bulging of the inner border, due to rotation of
the talus, regardless of the presence or absence of symptoms."

This is a bit over my head as I'm not an Orthopedic Surgeon, but I've noticed some key words in there such as "pronounced cases" and "decided eversion".  It sounds like it just comes down to the doctor's opinion on what he would consider "pronounced" or not.

Anyway, I was hoping to get into an airborne unit in the near future - I'm in good shape and have a Bachelor's degree, but it would suck to find out that I'm disqualified for a genetic trait I can do nothing about.  Anywhere from 20% to 25% of all people have low arches, so I figure this affects many more than just me.  Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
can't speak for the Army..but I personally served in the Marines (86-90) with a guy who had flat feet.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
During Vietnam, I reckon people tried to get out of being drafted for any reason they could find.  I don't think that one worked.  Urban legend.  I have flat feet, was able to enlist with airborne option.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
btt
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
My feet are flat as pancakes, and Uncle Sugar never even blinked, not even during my Airborne physical.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know about the Army, but the Navy sure didn't care, as I got flat feet and did my time. In fact, I think my feet got even flatter walking on steel decks for 4 years [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top