Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2001 10:37:10 AM EDT
What is your experience?  Do you prefer one over the other and why?   Upgrading to a gas saw from electric.  I have narrowed my choices to these  brands and am considering the 25 Stihl or 345 Husky.  Wil be used for cutting trees around my home, firewood and the annual hunting trip up in beautiful Wyoming.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Stihl is the standard that all other saws are graded against.  I have a Stihl and have been extremely pleased.

But either one will serve your purposes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I will second Doctorfireant, Stihl is the benchark.  Never had a problem.
Ice
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Both are excellent saws. I went the Husky route as I have an excellent local dealer a couple of miles from my home. No problems after 4 years of fairly hard work. This is kinda like Ford and Chevy...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I say Stihl - but i have a friend who has a johnsred(sp?) and it is every bit as good of a saw as my stihl. I have a Stihl 029 farmboss. don't know as much about husky but they are good too. you won't go wrong with either one.
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple Stihl gas machines.
They are the closest thing to Honda reliability.

Since Honda doesn't make chain saws, Stihl is the next best thing.

SameShot, Different Day
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#7]
From personal experience with both I have found the Husky to be more reliable. That’s not to say that a Stihl is not a good saw.  It just that I’ve gotten better service from the Husky. As I operate in remote areas, where repair is not available, I feel more comfortable with my choice.
I would recommend that regardless of your final choice; get a commercial grade saw, as opposed to the homeowner grade. A little more money but worth it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Whichever has the best dealer close to you
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
The professional loggers around here(and there are plenty)ALL use Husqvarna.

Stihl is good, Husqvarna is better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I heat my home with wood.  I use a Homelite (John Deere) 20" chainsaw.  It is dependable and powerfull.  Just my $0.02.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to fall a lot of timber and later, cut commercial firewood.  While Stihl was a good saw, it would never hold up to long-term heavy use.  The Huskys rarely, if ever, failed.  If you are just cutting around your home, either will do.  If you ever cut commercially, go with the Husky.  Almost every faller I ever worked with preferred the Husky for heavy use.  Jonsereds is also a good saw.  I would avoid the others.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Years ago, I worked for a large equipment rental company. The ONLY chainsaws we rented were Stihls...

Left there to work for another large rental company, and guess what saws they rented... Husqvuarnas...

Like the other guys said, they are like Fords and Chevys...

Personally, I prefer the Stihl saws...
They don't have as much plastic crap on them...

But...
If I were only upgrading from an electric saw, to limb a few trees now and then, I'd spend 1/3rd as much, and buy a Craftsmen chainsaw from Sears...
I bought one 2 years ago for $149.00, and I've cut down and cut up at least 7 (60+ft) trees with it... One of which, was for a neighbor, and I charged him $150.00.
So my chainsaw essentially cost me nothing but my labor...
The Craftsmen saw will be cutting up another tree next weekend...
It runs like a clock...

Just my 2 cents....
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#13]
For your use I say Stihl 018C model.  It is only a 14" bar but that is all you need and it has the quick adjustment for chain tension (no tools needed).
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Husky all the way. Smooth, low vibration, quieter & plenty of power.

Most of the forest fire fighting crews here have them.  I love mine have never had a problem with it.  Starts every time, except for the one time I flooded it when I first got it 5 years ago.

I've got a 262 with a 28" bar on it for the stuff around here.  My experiences of course.

Talyn
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Well you guys sure narrowed it down for him! [img]http://www.stihl.com/images/homepage/homepage_new/stihl_de_anim2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are going to be cutting a lot of wood get the 026 Pro.  It will cost you some more, but it will pay off in the long run.  If you are just going to be using it to cut small anount go with the FarmBoss 029 it pushes 53cc and has plenty of power.  I also like the Husky 261.  Huskys run faster RPM's than the Stihl, but are made more for logers.  Anyway you go you will be doing fine.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got back from an 8 hour day with a beat-up Stihl 046.  It seems to hold up to 30"+ Coastal Doug Fir just fine. The O46 Seems like a great saw, and I don't seem to have many problems starting it, but admit to not cutting wood in artic conditions much.  

My buddy, who is an professional cutter, has used only Stihl over eight years of contract logging, and his livelihood depends on reliable equipment.  He has not switched to Husky or Jonserred or Sachs-Dolmar yet, although the $$$ differential between the Stihl and the Swedes has made him think twice occasionally.  

Last time I checked Stihl was still the top seller, with Husky #2 and Jonserred a distant 3rd.  

I think you would be fine with any one of them.  I am not familiar with the smaller Stihl or Huskies.  Jonserred used to make a 2051 which was a nice saw for Eastern purposes.

If you are upgrading from an electric, a Shindaiwa or Echo or McCulloch would probably also be fine.

Most important is to determine how much wood you are cutting, and what size wood you are cutting.  This will help you determine the size of the powerhead.  

Or more to the point, get help at a saw shop where they are polite and helpful.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I have had a Husky 55 now for about 4 years.  Great saw.  Father-in-law has a Stihl and likes it well.  The only thing I don't like about my 55 is it can be a bitch to start in cold weather.  The Stihl seems to start easier.  Best advice is to see what the professional loggers use in your area.  I don't think you can go wrong with either or the Jonsered.  Don't skimp on a chainsaw.  My father-in-law and I cleared about 10 acres of trees several years ago.  He went thru 2 Poulins, 1 Homelite, and 1 Sears Craftmen before he bought the Stihl.  My Husky is still going strong.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Definitely the Stihl, we've had/used several different ones (including Husky,) but the big bow just keeps going & going...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I have cut firewood for many years now, and have used MANY different saws, Stihl is by far the best, go with the Stihl.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Craftsman (Poland (sp)) and my old man has a Stihl.  His Stihl cost twice as much as my Craftsman and the Stihl is 10x better.  Get the Stihl, all of the loggers in my area have Stihls.  My Craftsman is okay, but when it dies it will be replaced with a Stihl.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#23]
My .02, and I did a lot of research before buying my new saw.  Husky 345 or 350 w/ 18" bar.  The one thing I didn't like about Sthil was that they had a "homeowner" series which included the 025 and then a heavier duty "farm or ranch" series.  Husky doesn't make this distinction in their saws.  I bought an industrial strength 350 Husky for less money than the 025 "homeowner" series Sthil.  Just my opinion and like a**holes, everybody has one.[:)]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all the comments... I guess it really is a Chevy/Ford kind of topic.  [chainsaw]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I think both are excellent saws pick one. I'd make sure to get one with a spike, and at least a 20" bar as to save your back while limbing.
Have a nice evening,     Rabon...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Get a Stihl 36 or 38 for serious work.  We have a 34 for light stuff and a 36 and a 38 for all day oak cutting.

Don't cut dirt, dulls the chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top