Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2001 7:45:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First of all, I was wondering if there are .22 LR slide/magazine conversion kits for converting an older model glock 17 to .22 LR for plinking?  If you know of one, please let me know some info about them...
View Quote

Yes.  Do a quick web search on Yahoo.

[url]http://www.22lrconversions.com/glock.htm[/url]

Second, I'm debating whether or not to get an SAR-1 Romanian AK...  I need your help deciding why I should buy it.  I already have the decision of either:

A.) Buy an SAR-1 (SAR-2's are not to be found in the metro area, they're kind of rare here).
B.) Buy a STRIPPED lower AR15 receiver, and some Military Surplus stuff.  Waiting until I have more $$ to finish the AR15

What of those two choices would you do?
View Quote

Depends on what you want to do with it, and how much you want to spend.  You will spend more on the AR.  Cheap ammo for both is available.  You will have more options in what kind of rifle you want to build with the AR.  The AR has better iron sights.  Just to search on this board for all the AR vs AK crap.  You will get many opionions.  Do some reading here first, you will find answers to all your questions.

As far as which would I get?  I decided to get both.

Does anybody know of a good place to buy 30 round mags, because I don't have many.  I have two good 30's, one USA mag 30, and 1 frankenmag 20 rounder that only holds about 13  
View Quote

For what rifle?  If AK, check out Cheif Thunder.  If AR, then check out the equipment exchange on this board.  Again, do some looking here, and you will find all your answers.

PS. I will be checking the responses tomorrow morning, and I'd like to hear your opinions/recommendations before I goto the shop tomorrow afternoon.Thanks ALL
View Quote

Maybe you should do a little more reading on both before you make this decision.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
What exactly is the shop wanting for the SAR-1 ? Doesn't a SAR-1 cost around $400 ? You can build yourself an AR-15 for around $500.

Olympic Arms M4gery Parts Kit: $439 (Sale Price)
Olympic Arms T3C Cast Aluminum Lower: $82
Post-Ban Collapsible Stock: $20
Total: $541 + FFL Charges ($20) = $561

But, if you have a choice definitely get the AR-15. A lower is the cheapest part unlike FALs, HKs, and all other rifles (except AK) where the receiver is the most expensive part.

DPMS has AR-15 parts kits for $439.

Now, as for the .22 Conversion.

[url]http://www.22lrconversion.com/glock.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
cc48510, you forgot shipping charges... the lits are only available at that price from Oly... and a cast lower?  I have not heard great things... I'd pony up an extra $18 and get a forged.  Not to mention that you posted dealer price on the lower, most shops will charge you more... if they can order it.  Majority of FFL's I know charge $25....  

So.. I think you'd be closer to $600 for building an AR.  That's still not bad.

However, the SAR-1 is $289 from [url]www.aimsurplus.com[/url]  Add $16 shipping and $25 FFL, and you are at $330.  

Almost half the cost.

Now, I am not saying one is better, as I love both... but my heart will always be with my AR's.

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not exactly an AK expert. The SAR-1 must be one of the cheaper AKs. I have seen AKs range from $169 (WASR-10) to over $1,000 (Pre-Ban).
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's some stupid questions I"D like answered:

[list]
[*]If a funeral procession is at night, do you drive with your lights off?[/*]
[*]If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?[/*]
[*]Should Vegetarians eat animal crackers?[/*]
[*]When sign makers go on strike, is anything written on their signs?[/*]
[*]When you open a bag of cotton balls, is the top one meant to be thrown away?[/*]
[*]Would a fly without wings be called a walk?[/*]

[/list]

Any response?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
[b]Quoted:
Here's some stupid questions I"D like answered:

[list]
[*]If a funeral procession is at night, do you drive with your lights off?[/*][/b]

Not Applicable--All funerals are in the day because nighttime symbolizes death.

[b][*]If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?[/*][/b]

No, it is a "self hate crime".

[b][*]Should Vegetarians eat animal crackers?[/*][/b]

Yes, as long as carnivores eat Tofu Brugers.

[b][*]When sign makers go on strike, is anything written on their signs?[/*][/b]

Again, not aplicable.  Since they are on strike there would be no road signs to get them directions to the stiking area.

[b][*]When you open a bag of cotton balls, is the top one meant to be thrown away?[/*][/b]

What I do with my balls is none of your damn business!!

[b][*]Would a fly without wings be called a walk?[/*][/b]

I can honestly say that I don't have an answer for this one.....I claim failure.[:(]

[/list]

sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top