Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2001 3:13:09 PM EDT
No, not mine, but I'm still PO'ed.

Let me preface this by saying that my brother-in-law fell off the wagon as of late, and has admitted himself for treatment. Recently my sister dropped the guns that were in the house off at my brothers.  The other night she came by and picked them up from my brothers, saying that she didn't want him to be in the middle. She was going to take them to a gun shop, but my brother told her that she wouldn't get much for them. Granted, they weren't anything spectacular, but a gun is a gun.  So instead, she turns them over to the cops.  
Now I would have gladly taken them off her hands, if she was just going to go and give them away.  
However, for the last year, I've been on her %$#^list.  When my now ex-GF moved here, they became best buds.  Well, the GF went her way, citing my guns as one of the reasons she was leaving.  Never mind that I had always been responsible with them, taught her and her three kids about firearms safety..etc,etc,etc.  Apparently having a few guns were O.K., but having a number higher than I can count on my fingers apparently made for an issue.  Granted, when the GF left, I wrote some things that she probably didn't want to hear, but it was how I felt at the time.  So even though I have had almost no contact with the ex for a year(I was nice enough to keep her updated on the Puppy's medical condition, now passed, RIP Brandon), my sister decided to shun me as well.  While my brother is invited to certain family activities, my other sister and I have not been. I have passed my sister on the road on several occasions, but have not acknowledged her.  I just don't have time to play the game.
On a brighter note, the ex-GF's kids know that I'm not the bad guy.  The oldest (she's now 15) has snuck over to visit on several occasions, and e-mailed me quite a bit when she was at her father's over the summer.  It sucks not being able to see the kids, but I'm biding my time.
As for my sister, I have no idea when I'll see her again.  Our family is known for being stubborn, especially the males of the clan.  And I won't be the first to capitulate. If she wants to choose friends over family, let her.  She's lost a brother and sister, but I still have a brother and a sister.
Sorry that this rant got a little off course, but I really needed to get it out of my system.  Thanks for understanding
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe it would be a good thing to point out to her that if they were not registered to her, then she has just committed felony firearms theft!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
AntiUSSA,
In my cloud of anger and bewilderment, I had never thought about that!  However, I don't know whether he bought any of these through FFL's or if they were private sales.  Private sale would be hard to prove.  I'm the anal one in the family, I keep EVERY receipt.  He was one to do odd jobs, and barter for services, so it wouldn't surprise me if he got a few them in trade for services rendered.  Maybe I'll start cranking through the laws to see what I can dig up. Thanks for pointing me in a different direction!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind were they?
c-rock
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family.

Jay
Arizona

"Life is hard:
It's harder if you're stupid"
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AntiUSSA,
Maybe I'll start cranking through the laws to see what I can dig up. Thanks for pointing me in a different direction!
View Quote

What? You're going to drop dime on your sister for felony gun theft? At least there'll be something to talk about at Thanksgiving dinner.[rolleyes]

Doh! Edited to replace brother's wife with sister.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe it would be a good thing to point out to her that if they were not registered to her, then she has just committed felony firearms theft!
View Quote

She should be charged.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if this happens often, say you have a Browning grade 5 Citori over & under and your stupid ex wife takes it to the police station for disposal.  How many of you think that the gun will land in some cops gun safe.  I don't know much about this matter, but I would bet it happens very often.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
imashooter2,
 Would I drop a dime on my sister?  No, but I wouldn't hesitate to point out the error of her stupidity.  Spoke to my brother a few minutes ago, and apparently she got a restraining order on my brother-in-law.  He's a Vietnam vet, and apparently was starting to have some hallucinations.  They changed his meds, and it made him worse.  
I don't have to worry about talking about it over Thanksgiving dinner.  That's where we had dinner for several years.  But my other sister and I are on the #$%^list, so we don't get invited.  However, the ex-GF and the kids do though.
c-rock, don't know exactly what they all were.  One was a Ruger MKII, and the only other one I knew he had was a .30-06 of some kind.  He had called a couple of weeks ago and left a message, wanting to go sight it in.  Hmmmmm....maybe it was a good thing that I didn't get a chance to go.  I'd hate for him to have a hallucination, and I end up being the bad VC. Yikes!
CAR15M4,  No I can't pick my family.  Even if she is a bit misguided, I still love her.  I may not care for her actions right now, but I'd still give my life to protect her and my nephew from harm.  Hell, even after all that the ex and I went through, I'd still protect her.  And heaven help the person who might even consider harming any of my ex-GF's three kids.  They may not be mine biologically, but they are my children in my heart, and they always will be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Shotar,
 Last time I checked, New Hampshire was not a community property state.  It's been awhile since I checked, but maybe things have changed.  
 No apologies for possibly "throwing water on the fire".  I just think it's simply stupid to give away a firearm, unless it's given as a gift.  I could have either found someone that would derive some enjoyment from those firearms, or at least have made some money for her.  
 My older brother is the more adamant about firearms, and firearms rights, but I'm the one with the most 'toys', and the research to back up the second amendment.  Maybe that's why she would debate the 2nd amendment with my brother (she eventually had to concede that the 2nd was an individual right), and would never debate it with me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, it's been a long night, and sleep did not come easily.

And though I'm not thrilled at the thought of it, I reluctantly went into a defensive posture this morning.  I don't know exactly what my B-I-L is going through, but the hallucinations are enough to cause me concern.  

I worry for my sister because she seems to think that a restraining order would be enough to keep him away.  If he's having hallucinations, what makes her think that he's cognizant enough to understand, or even abide by the restraining order?

In spite of the fact that I've been on her #$%^list for the past year, and that she gave away the guns, she's still family. And a man's first obligation is to protect the family, all differences aside.  My brother lives 30 miles away, and I live about 2 miles from her.  So if the SHTF, and she calls, I'm it.  

The G21 and 225 both got a cleaning and rotated ammo, while the Ithaca got a cleaning and a diet of #4 and slugs, with 00 for backup.  The Ithaca now sits near the front door, out of site, but readily available.  

I hate to consider the worst case scenario, but have to prepare for any eventuality.  Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, but just because he's having hallucinations, what gives her the right to get a restraining order and screw up his life..?

Has she filed for a divorce, or is this just a temoprary "feel good" measure..?

Basically, what part of [u]"Through sickness and in health, until death do us part"[/u] doesn't she understand..?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#13]
AntiUSSA,
 From what I'm able to glean from second hand information, he's had several episodes of hallucination, and he has 'technically' assaulted her.  He didn't strike her, but did grab her in a moment of anger.  No threats have been made by him that I know of.  
 My sister also has contact with some legal beagles.  She's working with some lawyers, and does something as a children's advocate through the courts.  I believe this is where she got the idea for the restraining order.  A feel good measure with no teeth to back it up.  A piece of paper never stopped anybody.  When the B-I-L's doing OK, he's not a half bad guy.  But with the change in meds, it's obviously an adverse reaction, but apparently she's not seeing that.  Again, I can only go by what I'm told by my brother, since my other sister and I are definitely out of the communications loop.  So there may be more to the story than I am privy to at the moment.  
As far as the 'death 'til us part'...she's done pretty well.  He's pulled some doozies in the past, and she's worked through it.  Like the weekend she went away, and when she came back, he had bought a new truck.  Whoops!!!  Especially in light of the fact that my sister handles the finances. DOH!
I may have to try and find out where he his, and check on him.  My nephew needs a father.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top