Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2001 1:21:01 PM EDT

I just finished watching a CNN news segment showing a bunch of emotional college kids meeting, and vehemently protesting against any violent action against our enemies. However,the students are clueless when asked what they propose to resolve the current situation.

One clip showed a girl watching GWB's speech and saying "oh, gawd" (with disgust) as if she is soooooo smart.  Someone puhlleeez SLAP that dumb b*tch.

I see through their facade!! Them assembling to "discuss" and plan demonstrations on global issues is simply a mere social event for these kids.  In other words, it's a campus protest club where they meet with friends, dream about world peace, and go to be fed lies to reinforce their self-serving fantastical belief of intellectual superiority over the rest of us.

These idiots speak as if they are so wise and soooo intelligent that they feel they should enlighten us poor misled citizens with their perverted ideas of global social and cultural harmony.  As college students they are expected to learn new ideas and endeavor to pursue ideas towards new discovery.  

Their sense of duty to obtain knowledge is commendable.  However, just because you are a student at a university who has taken a couple of political science courses/attended seminars from a professor or political activist who used to be some fagass hippie protestor during the Vietnam War does not make you any smarter! IMO, these kids have a long way to go in learning how the world works.  Until they get a real job, support a family, understand how and why others think in different countries (not only how they live), these misguided souls will never know.

This brings me to the advisors of some of these groups.  Many of their so-called "mentors" are remnants from the Vietnam War era who see the current affairs as an opportunity to re-live their past glories of political activism.  I guess it makes them feel important and young again to manipulate these young impressionable, insecure kids.  What is frightening though is that they honestly believe they are doing a great service to our Country at this crucial time.

By taking an alternate stance on issues these people think that they know something we do not and perceive such is an achievement towards their futile quest for intellectual elitism.

------
Note:  I'm not saying I am Mr. Know-It-All either.  These are simply my personal conclusions drawn from experiences growing up in different countries and states,  an education at a liberal university in the PRK, military service, and working in the real world.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Im a college student and I think we should blow em to hell and back. You only see this crap at liberal arts colleges. I'm an engineering major and we must be pretty cynical because we all believe that those people even remotely responisible have to die.

Die hippies, Die...
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a college student going to one of the most liberal universities in the nation, University of Wisconsin, Madison.  I'm a little older than most of my "peers" (7+ years) and can say that they don't know jack about the world. They don't understand the depth or trajedy of what happened.  They haven't the slightest notion of what losing 6300 people means.  Most of these kids don't even remember Desert Storm, much less Pearl Harbor or Vietnam.  I also think that most of them slept through history classes their whole lives (if they even had any).  They are completely ignorant of how world politics work.  They live with the wool pulled over their eyes and beleive that they are safe from everything, it's how they've been raised.  Most of them haven't worked a single day unless it involved working for beer money, their parents give them everything.  The sadest thing is, [b]they don't care[/b]!  It's much easier to go through life thinking that your government is going to protect you from everything.  It's easier to think that nobody ever goes hungry.  It's easier to think that if we could all just sit and talk the whole world would become a peacefull little love-in where nobody gets hurt and no feelings are rubbed the wrong way.

Here is a great example.  I was sitting in class right after the last presidential election.  The PROFESSOR was killing time talking about how GWB was such and idiot.  Of course all the litte sheeple agreed.  I just sat quietly waiting for a slip.  The conversation turned to some Hollywood wedding/divorce or something.  I didn't know who they were talking about so I asked the guy beside me.  Several people including the prof. overheard me and started laughing like I was a complete idiot for not knowing who it was.  My reply, "While you people are busy worrying about who's doing who in Hollywood, I ACTUALLY follow politics and world news and I for one DON'T think that GWB is an idiot."  One girl who was obviously angry loudly said "AMEN!" in my support from across the room.  The moral... 90% of these kids simply follow along in little busy clicks of nothingness.  The small minority of us who dares to give a shyte lead the way.  BTW, that was the last day I heard that prof badmouth GWB.

On a better note, last semester I had a Chem prof who is an avid fighter for the 2nd.  We talked about guns almost as much as Chemistry.  We're out there.  We're just a little hard to find in in all the bullsh...
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think they are idiots for calling for peace, or changes in american foreign policy, but the fact they cannot give a reasonable solution to our crisis, demonstrates their ignorance.  I would also like to not this isn't ALL liberal arts students just the more outspoken ones.  one day i think they will receive a wake-up call to how the world really works.  I myself admit I am young (17 yrs) and do not fully understand it.  so if you think my opinion is in ignorance go ahead and attack it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of them don't know shit from shinola.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#7]
They say more citizens of the state of NJ lost their lives in this attack than in the entire vietnam war...
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a 19 y/o College Student and I say blow the hell out of Afghanistan. In fact, I'll fight if it comes to a ground war. I remember the Gulf War. Many older than me even don't remember. There is nothing better than seeing Iraqi soldiers with their hands high in the air surrendering to an unarmed cameraman. I remember when the first patriot missle downed a scud headed for Saudi Arabia. I remember the fall of the Belrin Wall and when i first learned the world map (1988) it had the Soviet Union on it. I remember Bush, Sr. Most of these guys never knew a president other than Clinton. I've studied American History, World History, World Religion, Federal Government, and Law in Colelge and I felll I am alot better than the average idiot who is "Doing the U** Thing." I met 2 girls in College who did Marijuana and LSD. These girls couldn't give a damn about those 6300 lives. They would rather just be doing some Frat Guy. These people give this generation a bad name.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#10]
welcome to the world of "it's not my problem, hey, let's stop by starbucks and then rent a movie..."
dumb f**ks
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#11]
One day, when they are professionals, not students, many of them will realize what morons they were. Many more will never get a clue. Since when are the most knowledgeable people the ones that are still in school. Hell, when I was in college, I didn't know shit either. I grew out of it though. Then again, I NEVER WAS a liberal. Just uninformed at the time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I just graduated from college this past May (BS in History and Poli Sci, 2nd Teaching), I was on the 6 1/2 year program... anyway, I constantly defended myself against classmates and a few profs during the presidential election.  So many people in my political science classes compared Europe to the US and said "why cant we be more like them?".  My college, Morningside College in Sioux City, Iowa, is overwhelmingly conservative in nature.  I'd have to say that the faculty are split between Dems/GOP, but the Dems were much more active in pushing their ideals.  We, the "silent majority" always had to defend ourselves.  Whenever a prof would lash out, or a group of students would lash out at the GOP or conservatism, I just waited as Maud_Dib did until they really dug themselves a hole and pounced on them and ripped them to pieces.  Oddly enough, I had quite a few other students backing me up, but I was always the ring leader.  It soon came to be that the prof would rant, listen to his followers pad his stance, and then automatically seek me out for a counter argument.  

Dont let the liberal "protesters of whatever" fool you.  I second the motion that as soon as the facts are laid in front of them, they learn quickly about truth and then they shutthe hell up.  My argument is that as those "protesters of whatever" eventually become a bit more conservative as they grow older.

JRB      

Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I dropped out of College in '97 to join the Air force.  I remember sitting in a history class getting all pissed off because the Professor was questioning dropping the A-bomb on Japan during WWII.  

I think Jack Nicholson said it best in A Few Good Men when he said this.

"Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.
You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to."
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah, what jack said.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I see through their facade!! Them assembling to "discuss" and plan demonstrations on global issues is simply a mere social event for these kids. In other words, it's a campus protest club where they meet with friends, dream about world peace, and go to be fed lies to reinforce their self-serving fantastical belief of intellectual superiority over the rest of us.
View Quote

That's a lot of it right there.  I graduated a year ago from a Liberal Arts school and one of the things that disgusted me was the students who protested just for the sake of protesting- WTO, etc.  They were all rich kids too, yet wanted to go and cause trouble, disrupt business, and get arrested becuase it was "cool."  It didn't really even matter what the issue was.

Then, as others have stated, there were a lot who were just plain dumb.  On the other hand, I also met many who were really on the ball and I had a lot of great profs to, especially in upper level classes.  Not all of them were liberal or stupid, all my international politics professors were realists and great teachers.  My favorite was this guy who somehow escaped war-torn Angola, got to Canada and got himself an education, then became a professor in NY.  He used to tell some story about his AK-47 back in Africa.

Penguin
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Just tell 'em to think of how they'd like it if someone crashed an airliner through their dorm at 4am on the night before a final exam. . . .

"How many students at your college?  Wow, that's fewer people than died at the WTC!  Imagine your whole campus wiped out in one flaming instant!"
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#17]
College students always know everything.  They always have.  They forget why they are in college.

Don't get me wrong, I went to college too, but not under the misapprehension that I was already educated.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I went to a liberal arts college, I am a liberal, and I still say bomb to heck out of them.

Thing is there are no liberal arts colleges in the US. All there are are glorified vocational schools. Dragging teenagers to a literature, history, political science, or economics class is like pulling teeth. Universities are under CONSTANT pressure to reduce requirements in these areas because they do not represent "real world" knowledge- in other words you cant make money off of them.  So we churn out accountants, computer scientists, MD's, and engineers who can build anything, perform complex medical procedures, run corporations with hundreds of personnal- and have NO ethics, or morals, no understanding of the real world outside of their narrow fellowship of coworkers. No understanding of history, no understanding of ANYTHING except how to exercise a function for cash payments. They are perfect cogs in a machine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:10:12 AM EDT
[#19]
It's good to have an armed liberal around. (Really)

Sucks about the kids. too bad they don't care much now. Pisses my Granfather (92) off something fierce. He still talks about the big one and it's great to hear it from him.

GO US!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thing is there are no liberal arts colleges in the US. All there are are glorified vocational schools. Dragging teenagers to a literature, history, political science, or economics class is like pulling teeth.
View Quote

Not true in all cases, especially here in the east.  Depends on where you go- I went to St. Lawrence University which was (very) strictly liberal arts.  I had classes in Govt, History, Sociology, Psych, Econ, Music, Art, Geology, Geography, Literature, Writing, Religion, and at least half a dozen others that I can't remember right now.

On the other hand, my brother just started at Western New England College as a engineer, and apparently it is much as you describe- like pulling teeth to get them to take a single English class.

Penguin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top