Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2001 12:55:10 PM EDT
Here it is [url]http://polls.aol.com/ifs/poll/travel/votepage3331.adp[/url]

Right now 75% of the sheeple want them to..
Of course they are afraid to even ask about passengers carrying guns. But its a start.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
done
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
done
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Done, sort of a no-brainer.  Except for Rosie I guess.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
What good is an armed pilot if he is behind a locked door?  Someone (somewhere?) raised the question of whether the pilot's primary responsibility is to the airline, the airplane or the passengers.

If it is the passengers then what is to prevent a hijacker from killing passengers until the pilot finally surrenders?

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
good point woods, never thought of it that way.  made me re-think my voting preferences.  not to mention that someone somewhere is going to need that cockpit door opened someday and it's going to be sealed and then what?

on a related note, heard on Paul Harvey today that a pilot for a flight told the passengers that there was no bomb on board.  if anybody should say there was a bomb on board or attempt to take control of the plane, every passenger should stand up and start throwing things at the bad guys.  keep throwing until he's distracted enough that he can be disarmed (should he have been disarmed, assumed the use of knives here) and incapacitated.

i liked that.  the pilot was basically telling the passengers that it was their responsibility to defend themselves.  woo woo.  at least one of them has it right.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The best thing the pilot and copilot can do for the passengers is to land safely.

Running around playing Harrison Ford in the cabin is in a distant four-hundred-and-seventy-third place.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
uhhh....75% for armed pilots 93% for sealed cockpits. not to be a nitpicker but, what good is arming the pilot if the cockpit is sealed?

arm the staff some visibly. plus you've got air marshalls
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Done, still at 75% armed...

Maybe the next poll can be WHAT KIND OF ARM...
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
uhhh....75% for armed pilots 93% for sealed cockpits. not to be a nitpicker but, what good is arming the pilot if the cockpit is sealed?

View Quote

Just guessing but 'sealing' the cockpit give the pilot the couple seconds he needs to grab his gun?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Just guessing but 'sealing' the cockpit give the pilot the couple seconds he needs to grab his gun?
View Quote

why doesn't he have it on his person in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

all the talk lately i've seen on tv and here, sealing the cockpit means the pilot can't get out either. the 9-11 terrorists didn't breech the cockpit they slashed throats to lure the pilot out. those punk-ass bitches
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Perhaps you've already seen this.  I've been to so many sites lately I don't remember where I first saw it.

Airplanes & Guns: Myths and Reality
[url]www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=2474[/url]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I honestly think the pilot should concentrate on flying the plane.  The stewardesses should carry, but I don't want to get shot because they are having a bad hair day either. (They will NEVER let honest law-abiding citizens pack)

If you turn the cockpit into a vault, they won't be able to get out in the event of a crash.  Some kind of crash seems more likely than a suicide terrorist. I guess that's why they get payed the big bucks.  

Edited to clarify that I think pilots should have guns because they are responsible law-abiding citizens, and not because of some special pilot priveledge or duty.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#15]
There's always the co-pilot and/or navigator.

If so many states trust their citizens with concealed weapons then why not the airlines?  
Dumb question, never mind.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
done...
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#17]
[flag]

done, except i voted no for sealing the pit - too ambiguous, besides, what if the pilots needed to use the bathroom? how would they eat/drink? the funniest thing i read was that some considered blocking the door with the food cart! no shYt!
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#18]
done

Should pilots be armed?
 Yes 85824   75%

No 27976   24%

Total votes:  113800

Should the cockpits of aircraft be sealed?
 Yes 106578   93%

No 7541   6%

Total votes:  114119

as of 4:21 az time 9/21/01
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Done.  

There's an old lawyer/politician rule that goes something along the lines of 'never ask a question if you don't know the answer'.  Because, of course, you might not get the result you want.

In this case, it seems that the poll designer wanted to reduce the apparent size of the huge numbers of people who want to see their Captain armed for their safety.  So, he or she asked that question, plus another question which he or she knew a few more people would agree with - thereby placing the very high public demand for arming pilots into second (and 'last', in this poll) place despite an approval rating better than most politicians ever achieve in their entire career.

Vote NO on sealing the cockpit - if the captain isn't armed, a door and lock only delay things.  Besides, I have fond memories of visiting the cockpit as a child.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#20]
why would a idiot say no to this?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
why would a idiot say no to this?
View Quote

to arming the pilots or sealing the cockpits?  or both?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Hardened door-yes, sealed door? No.

On arming pilots, we can't do that, it takes too much training. Obviously folks capable of being trained to fly a jet airliner can't be trained to shoot a gun in a defensive situation, right???
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Done
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#24]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/bA/s9/74/BW21539.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#25]
While the cartoon is funny, someone in my office seriously suggested that all aircraft should be grounded until they can be reworked to where the only access to the cockpit is from the outside of the plane.
[whacko]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#26]
You gotta admit, making the only access to the cockpit through a separate outside door would make it pretty hard for terrorists to hijack the plane (unless they wanted to go to the trouble of cutting a hole through the bulkhead). It would also put some of those recently laid-off Boeing workers back to work with the retrofits.

Of course, you might  also need to issue the pilots either some Depends or a Porta-Potty on some of the longer flights...
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm currently a captain at a big airline and wish that I had a gun with me like I do around town.  But the subject I want to talk about is the passengers and their own well-being in a situation.  The captain can tell any amount of passengers on the flight, "By the Tokyo Convention, you are not responsible for your actions.  NOW GO KILL THEM!"  Little known even around the airlines.  Just wanted others to know that.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Some guys are putting some real thought into how to make cockpit doors safer:

http://[url]http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010921/210357_1.html[/url]

"We have offered our window technology to aircraft cockpit door and partition makers so that they too will have SPD laminates as
an option to offer end users. This would allow pilots to safely see what is happening on the other side of the door without opening it,
and a window of sufficient size would be much more difficult to block than the peephole used in current-technology doors."
View Quote

They make a laminate that can go onto polycarbonate, and can change from clear to dark at the touch of a switch.  They were setting up at an airline interiors convention when the WTC terrorist attack happened, causing the convention to get cancelled.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here it is [url]http://polls.aol.com/ifs/poll/travel/votepage3331.adp[/url]

Right now 75% of the sheeple want them to..
Of course they are afraid to even ask about passengers carrying guns. But its a start.
View Quote
done!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#30]
done

Why don't they have closed circuit monitors for the flight crew to keep an eye on the passengers or hi-jackers?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
done

Why don't they have closed circuit monitors for the flight crew to keep an eye on the passengers or hi-jackers?
View Quote

They do on El Al
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Why are we making this so hard?  You may only need a litmus test to make the plane safe.

Require each person boarding the plane to eat a slice of bacon.

If you want  to get hi-tech, strap each passenger into an ejection seat, with the operational button located in the pilot's cabin.  
"Captain, we have a troublemaker[:k] in seat 14A.  He says he has a bomb and keeps talking about the Great Satan."
 "Oh yeah!", whoosh.  "Atlanta tower, we're short one passenger." whoosh. "My bad, two passengers."

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#33]
BTT - Because polls are fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top