Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2001 11:26:28 AM EDT
I heard here that it is illegal for anyone to ask you for your SS# and use it for identification.  For example, if the phone company ask for your SS# you can say that that is illegal to use my ss# for any purposes other than social security.  Is this true?  If so can you show me a link that has the law that says this?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard quite some time back the same basic information as you have, but I have never seen anything in writing to confirm that there is a "law" or restriction on requesting social security numbers for identification.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Try opening a bank account, mutual fund, or brokerage account without one.

I do know that you can request that companies use a unique Id other than your SSN for things like customer number (where they normally use SSN). For instance, you can ask your doctor to store your file under a random 9-digit number instead of your SSN.

I think rkb is right. The can ask but you don't have to give.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Try buying a fishing/hunting license in WA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's for income tax purposes, not identification.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try opening a bank account, mutual fund, or brokerage account without one..
View Quote

(snip)

Or getting a gun licence in Massachusetts...

Or buying a gun in a store in MA- always ask you to put the SS# down on the yellow form...

I think rkb is right. The can ask but you don't have to give.
View Quote

According to the Privacy Act of 1974, he is right. It is illegal for govt. agencies other than the IRS and SSA to ask for it, BUT the law does not provide any penalties to those who do ask for it illegally.

Yet another dumb law...
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Or buying a gun in a store in MA- always ask you to put the SS# down on the yellow form...
View Quote

The last gun I bought (590A1 last weekend) the gun store clerk specifically said, "don't put your ss#, it's not required".
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The last gun I bought (590A1 last weekend) the gun store clerk specifically said, "don't put your ss#, it's not required".
View Quote

Wow- what store is that? That's where I am going to buy my stuff from now on!....
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
They got this deal now where they will imprint your ssn or embed it in your right hand or forehead (Your choice).  That way you can't ever[i]lose it....[/i]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Posted By 95thFoot:

Wow- what store is that? That's where I am going to buy my stuff from now on!....
View Quote

Gun Room in Shrewsbury. Tell John I sent you, or not!
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's for income tax purposes, not identification.
View Quote

This is correct, but the end result is identical.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is correct, but the end result is identical.
View Quote

Agreed. I was just differentiating the fact that the banks need your ss# to report your income to the IRS, just like your employer. The phone company is using it because you likely gave to them once before and they want to make sure you didn't skip out on a previous bill.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
It is NOT illegal to ask for it, but it IS illegal to require it...  On the other hand, they DO NOT have to accept your business either, and in the case of a utility, provide you with service!
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Posted By 95thFoot:

View Quote

View Quote

Say what! That's where I buy my stuff already! WTF! :^)

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

It says on the 4473 that SS# is optional.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They got this deal now where they will imprint your ssn or embed it in your right hand or forehead (Your choice).  That way you can't ever[i]lose it....[/i]
View Quote

Satcong: Is this true? Because if so you have just described the mark of the beast.  Please email me if you have an answer to this post.  I am curious to know who is embeding the numbers into people.

Azaria
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#16]
In Washington, the state, they say the reason for wanting your SS# when purchasing a hunting/fishing license is so that it will be easier to locate "dead beat dads".  I'm interested in locating a female buyer in order to find out whether or not she had to cough up a SS# too!?!  Also, I've assisted with implanting wildlife with what's called a "Transponder".  It's a micro chip housed within a glass capsule a little over a 1/16" in dia. and about 3/16"-1/4" in length.  Goes in under the skin or is imbedded into muscle tissue.  When you turn on a reader, from some distance away, you get a read out of an ID number.  Currently, work is being done to develop a reader that will collect info from over a 100 yards distant to help ID individual elephants...  or people!?!
W
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#17]
IIRC, when going through bootcamp, and for a good while after, we had to sign a Privacy Act Statement every time we did paperwork with our SSN.
Sadly, that practice has ended, and the SSN has become THE identifying peice of information, just as the Democrats promised it wouldn't when Social Security was instutited.
We, as Americans, have become a country of lazy people. We are lazy about our lifesyle, our work ethic, and our own security.
And now I fear it will only get worse.
If they government enacts a National ID, we will be up Shits Creek, with the paddle taken away from us.

The SSN was not intended to become an identifer, except when collecting Social Security, and we, as Americans have let it become an idenitfier.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#18]
i'm a college student and I have to write down my SSN on most of my tests and ALL of my finals also the school identifies students by their SSN, they don't even use our names when we register for classes and if you want to pay your bill in person they don't even ask you for your name just your ID number which is the same as your SSN.

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#19]
You should have seen the scene last month when the Einsteins at Sports Authority noticed the blank space on my 4473. I offered to give it up since I had about 15 people behind me with basketballs and rollerblades, but they said they would stand there all day if thats what it took! SA finally made the call and the NICS girl blew right by it when the SSN# wasnt given. God bless America!
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I've fought this battle many times.  It is not illegal for a private firm to use the SSN, only government agencies who are not authorized to do so.  Trouble is, more and more of them find ways around the restriction because of some little known clause in the privacy law that says any "pre-existing use" is okay or something like that.

The only thing you can do with private firms is tell them you don't give out your SSN under any circumstances.  I usually have to cave in after pissing them off, however.  At least they know how I feel about it.  My gas company and telco will accept a deposit in lieu of a credit check (so they can have illegal aliens as customers).  I did it with one, but it cost $65.  Bellsouth wanted over $100 for the privilege.  I relented and gave them the number instead.

Every time you sign a lease they want your SSN even though a successful credit check can be run without one.  People are idiots.

The best way to protect yourself from fraud and abuse is by obtaining a yearly credit report and making sure that all the info is correct.

The other thing to do is a Henry Bowman--maintain several fake identities "just in case."  That's an extreme measure, however.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Posted By 95thFoot:

View Quote

View Quote

Do you have an address or web site for them, I'm always on the lookout for a new place to spend my $$.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#22]
From what I understand, any business may ask you for your social security number... if you refuse to give it to them, they CAN refuse their services/products to you.

Just like at work, they wanted my SS# to be kept on a list to keep track of who has building keys.  I gave them a SS#, only it was one I pulled one off of the Social Security Death Index... I used a William Clinton SS#, issued in Arkansas, born 1921... figured he might be related to WJ Klinton?  Anyway, just an idea.

M.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top