Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2001 10:05:38 AM EDT
OK, so it sounds like the 10/22 is a great rifle.

Next set of questions:  HOW ACCURATE IS YOURS ?

and when I get mine (just deciding which one I want)

1) What is a good aftermarket barrel to get?

2) How do I take the old barrel out and put the new one in ?

3) Can I still use the same Ruger stock that comes with the
rifle or will I have to modify it?

I'm mechanically inclined but have never really worked on
firearms before -

Any advice is much appreciated
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoot the stock gun first.  Mine shoots less than a half inch with cheap ammo at 50 yards or so, stock.  Never felt the need to customize yet, though those carbon wrapped barrels are tempting for their lightness.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Billofrights,
I recomend the carbon fiber wrapped barrel if you are customizing.  I agree to see what it shoots like out the box.  Mine does about the same.  

ESP, get one with a wood stock if you want to put on new barrel,,then you have to modify the barrel chanel.  Make sure you can put a crisp dollar bill between the barrel and the stock. Also you can modify the front end so you don't have to use the barrel band.  Smoothing and tapering the frond end makes it look better too.

Let us know if you needs some help or advice.  It ain't a competition target rifle, but it is a inexpensive, quality plinker.
Ice
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
try

[url]www.rimfirecentral.com[/url]

lots of info and pics
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with Billofrights, shoot it first.  Mine also shoots 1/2" groups at 50yds with a few trigger enhancements and CCI mini mags.  I keep thinking I need to upgrade it, but what for? 1/4"-3/8" groups?  I can't even shoot that well! You can improve the looks though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#7]
The first two I had I only ever shot at stuff like cans, squirrels, etc..  I only shot either of tham at paper for long enough to sight them in. Had each for many years. I finally gave my second one to my nephew and bought the 10/22T. If you're the least bit concerned about accuracy, let me assure you that the "T" is a tack driver! I have a paper plate that I shot at 50 yards on a calm day, a 10 shot group of about 3/4". I can shoot a 3 or 5 shot group a lot smaller than that. That's using plain old Winchester, I think Super X or something that was cheap at Wal-Mart. I don't even have a great scope on it - just a Simmons. Off a sand bag, it's so stable you can actually watch the bullet fly down range through the scope. I like it so much I've been thinking about building an all-out "space-gun" version just to see what is possible.
I do have one other .22 that is more accurate, but it is an all-out match rifle, single shot bolt action. It's a _little_ more accurate. Well, quite a bit more when using Eley Tenex.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Any one know where to get the carbon fiber wrapped barrels?

How do you modify the barrel channel ?  Dowel rod with sandpaper?

What needs to be done in order to make it so the barrel band is not needed?

thanks to all !
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
ESP, do you want Volquartsen or Butler Creek? Volquartsen is double, but considered better.
Check out: [url]www.eabco.com[/url]
To modify the stock, do you have wood working tools?  You don't want to take off a 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch with a dowel and sandpaper.  To get rid of the barrel band, just use the stock screw. Have you ever bedded a barrel? I recomend not bedding it because it is a .22.  The stock screw should hold the action and stock and barrel together, but check first by take just the barrel band off, and checking for wobble.
Let me know if you have more questions or email me.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Billofrights,
I recomend the carbon fiber wrapped barrel if you are customizing. I agree to see what it shoots like out the box. Mine does about the same.

ESP, get one with a wood stock if you want to put on new barrel,,then you have to modify the barrel chanel. Make sure you can put a crisp dollar bill between the barrel and the stock. Also you can modify the front end so you don't have to use the barrel band. Smoothing and tapering the frond end makes it look better too.

Let us know if you needs some help or advice. It ain't a competition target rifle, but it is a inexpensive, quality plinker.
Ice

Ice - yes ! very interested in learning more about how to do the modifications.  Would be getting the Butler Creek Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel.  Would like details on how to modify the barrel channel and taper the front end so that no band is needed.

thanks much

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
A fried of mine got one from Volquartsen and they guarantee .5 MOA at 50 yards. Had not gotten a report back on what his results are.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I put a volquartsen thm carbon fiber tension barrel on mine, and its a great shooter.

[img]http://www.outland.net/~jon/pix/Guns/10-22.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#14]
ESP, the barrel is the key to accuracy in the Ruger 10-22.  They can be made to almost shoot as well as the best bolt action .22LR target rifles.

DaMan
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I agree with Billofrights, shoot it first.  Mine also shoots 1/2" groups at 50yds with a few trigger enhancements and CCI mini mags.  I keep thinking I need to upgrade it, but what for? 1/4"-3/8" groups?  I can't even shoot that well! You can improve the looks though.
View Quote

I'll third that "shoot it first". But 1/2"@50yards!!!?? What, did you get one 3-shot group that size? Or did you fire a whole box and only include the 10 closest together? Fellas, CCI Mini Mags won't hold 1/2" for 10 shots out of most Benchrest rifles! What is your [i]average[/i] 10 shot group? I don't mean an average of your 1 best group either. At least 5 honest 10 shot groups.
Most of these aftermarket barrels will get you down to about 3/4" [i]average[/i] with Federal 900Bs. (That's nothing to sneeze at)
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#16]
10/22s are a no brainer to work on all you need is a flat screwdriver a centerpunch and a set of allen wrenches. To completely dissemble it. the rest is just see spot run type gunsmithing.

If you want to put a bull barrel on that gun your either going to have to purchase a new stock or inlet the old one if you have a standard countour barrel.

If your looking for really good barrels lija is prety much top of the heap.  I think they run about two or three hundred dollars or so if memory serves.

I purchased one of the ruger 10/22T (blued)rifles when the first hit the shelves. I always wanted a 10/22 and this looked like the ticket.

For a while i had a loupold 8.5-25x40 veri-x3 scope with leupold dot recticle and target knobs. om my 10-22 with one piece loupold base and rings.  
[b]The first really big step  to making a 10-22 shoot well is to pitch the factory mount they give you the purchase a decent set of mounts and rings.[/b]

(this scope was purchased for a custom bolt gun i was having made). later i purchased a 4-16x40  bsa for it.

With my 10/22t and the 25x scope i could easily pull 3/8" groups from a rest with a haris bipod at 50+ yards at with the right ammo.

My favorite pastime with that combo was shooting really small twigs off of saplings or sawing them in half if i was not punching paper.

Ive never did any 10 shot groups but ive done plenty of 5 shot groups.
Mine groups best with fiochi supermatch ammo. second best is eley tenex with federal gold medal match. ya know the good stuff  [8D].

yes them10-22's can shoot . If your serious about it i  suggest getting a premium scope loupold, nikon, etc etc with a good  solid mount. Before your go hog wild on the acessories.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top