Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2001 10:26:43 PM EDT
We supplied the muj with stingers during their war with the Russians.  Does anyone know how many we will have to face if we go into Afghanistan?
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just thinking about this today.  I've read somewhere that they did sell off a few to Iran and whoever else would fork over the dough. Also, the Stingers that we provided are at least 10(?) years old now.  Don't these things need periodic maintenance and what not?  Anybody know what mod Stingers we provided and what countermeasures that we have for them?
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My sources say a minimum of 20 - 19 if you count the one used of the coast of NY
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]reagan.com/HotTopics.main/HotMike/document-8.21.1998.9.html[/url]

"It perhaps is significant that members of congress who have been closest to security concerns were also the first to question the timing and the style of Clinton's unilateral attack on targets in Afghanistan and Sudan. Sen. Spector, (R-PA) as Chairman of the Select Intelligence Committee, and the recipient of a letter of alarm about the Clinton Justice Department turning down the offer of the return of over 100 of the Stingers has questioned the timing."

There are other estimates as high as 300.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top