Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2001 7:07:34 PM EDT
Today while looking for a muzzle-loader, I seen a M1 Garand in the rack.  I assumed that it was a Century model, because this shop stocked and sold a ton of them in the last year, I didn't pay it much attention.  I didn't find the black powder rifle that I was looking for, so I wanted to take a look at how bad the Century Garands really were.  I picked it up and it had a USGI Springfield receiver on it.  I jacked the bolt back and didn't see any weld / grind marks, so it wasn't a reweld.  I looked for an importer stamp on the barrel, but all I could see was [i]"30/06 2.49" "[/i]and then what looked like [i]"ITON"[/i].  The whole rifle was reblued, looks like the cold blue in a can job.  The stock has been repaired a few times, and the charging handle is parked but looks pitted??  The bore was dirty.    

The asking price was $399.99.  So I gave them a deposit.  It was from a state other than my home state, so there is a 14 day waiting period.  No big deal.  I will go back after Oct 2nd to pick it up.  The ser # is 3296XXX

I will post more when I receive it and disassemble it for inspection.  I figured, if it turns out to be not that great, I don't have alot into it.  

Before I get alot of posts to get a M1 Garand from CMP................it is in the works.

OSA
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
My book shows a production date of November, 1944 for the receiver.

You may have the basis of a real nice rifle there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking about the getting one too. I am trying to locate a CMP. I've heard that the Century ones are decent. I want to get my Dad something that he could use for home protection and he knows the M1 Garand inside and out. "Korean War Veteran/USMC". My FAL's may be to foreign for him to use, he still can't program a remote control or VCR.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
the century models are CRAP
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 2:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
sounds good you will love it
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
$400 for a USGI Garand without having to jump through the CMP's hoops?  I wish I could find one of those.  Most of what I see locally is $850 and more.  If it shoots, then you did well.z
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The bore was dirty.    

The asking price was $399.99.  So I gave them a deposit.  

OSA
View Quote

A Springfield stripped receiver alone is worth $400.

Anything else you get is gravy.

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$400 for a USGI Garand without having to jump through the CMP's hoops?  
View Quote

Hoops???

Gimme a break!!!

Alls you gotta do is shoot a match, and then buy a gun. You don't even have to go thru an FFL.

Besides, shooting a match is something you should do whether or not you want a CMP Garand.

Get in the game!!!!!!!!!

This is a public service message brought to you by garandman.

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#8]
You dont even have to shoot in the match if you have a copy of your DD 214.

D. www.azexarms.com
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the two responses.  It's for my nephew (he has the cash, I don't), so my DD-214 won't do him any good.  He joined the Garand Collectors Association to meet the CMP-affiliated club requirement.  He (finally!) registered to vote to meet the citizenship requirement (cheaper than getting a passport to photocopy).  For the shooting requirement, both of us have been looking for a local (within a 90 minute drive) match for him for almost 6 months.  We haven't found anything.  He fired over 50 rounds in a NRA pistol match he found while out of town, and the CMP returned his application.  They also didn't accept his scoring card from his CCW class, taught by a NRA certified instructor, where he fired 100 rounds.  Any more ideas on how to meet the shooting requirement?  We're in Spartanburg, SC, which is about 75 miles southwest from Charlotte, NC.

Garandman, you said, "Gimme a break!!!"  Well, I've asked for help here before and on rec.guns.  Only once have I received a helpful response, and that was a pointer to the Garand Collectors Association.  If it's so easy to get the CMP to actually part with a gun, then how do you do it?  The CMP's purpose seems to be to keep rifles out of our hands.  From what I've seen, they're doing a good job.

He has already bought a M1 parts kit from AIM.  The $250 barreled receiver from the CMP would be perfect.  If anyone knows where to buy one for not much more than that, we'd appreciate it.  Of course, an entire rifle from the CMP for $400, and keep the parts kit for spares, would also be nice.

I would appreciate any help, because I've spent so long convincing him that he wants a Garand(because I want one), that I feel guilty now.z
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Today while looking for a muzzle-loader, I seen a M1 Garand in the rack.  I assumed that it was a Century model, because this shop stocked and sold a ton of them in the last year, I didn't pay it much attention.  I didn't find the black powder rifle that I was looking for, so I wanted to take a look at how bad the Century Garands really were.  I picked it up and it had a USGI Springfield receiver on it.  I jacked the bolt back and didn't see any weld / grind marks, so it wasn't a reweld.  I looked for an importer stamp on the barrel, but all I could see was [i]"30/06 2.49" "[/i]and then what looked like [i]"ITON"[/i].  The whole rifle was reblued, looks like the cold blue in a can job.  The stock has been repaired a few times, and the charging handle is parked but looks pitted??  The bore was dirty.    

The asking price was $399.99.  So I gave them a deposit.  It was from a state other than my home state, so there is a 14 day waiting period.  No big deal.  I will go back after Oct 2nd to pick it up.  The ser # is 3296XXX

I will post more when I receive it and disassemble it for inspection.  I figured, if it turns out to be not that great, I don't have alot into it.  

Before I get alot of posts to get a M1 Garand from CMP................it is in the works.

OSA
View Quote

That isn't a bad deal. You will find that the Garand is a distinct Improvement over a black powder muzzle loader....

For starters..you don't need to worry about percussion caps or replacing the flint in the hammer and priming it.

Also the sights are a bit better than your average muzzle loader...no Kentucky Windage necessary on the Garand !

Unfortunately the Garand is a "mouse gun". It is chambered in a pipsqueek 30 caliber instead of a real caliber like 45 or 54..but still it will get the job done in a pinch.

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Garandman, you said, "Gimme a break!!!"  Well, I've asked for help here before and on rec.guns.  Only once have I received a helpful response, and that was a pointer to the Garand Collectors Association.  If it's so easy to get the CMP to actually part with a gun, then how do you do it?  The CMP's purpose seems to be to keep rifles out of our hands.  From what I've seen, they're doing a good job.

View Quote

OK -if none of us have told you how to do this, then WE need to get in the game. [:D]

1. Shoot a local NRA-approved match.

2. Go to [url]www.odcmp.com [/url] and get an application. They are downloadable.

3.  Fill it out. Endorse check for $500

4. Send them in.

5. Get 500 rounds 30-06.

6. Wait (not too long)

7. Proceed to mailbox.

8. Receive Garand.

Seriously - it is THAT easy. Their is NO sinister conspiracy to keep them out of your hands. (other than perhaps me wanting to buy them all up. But with a name like "garandman" waht'd you expect??? [:D]  ) And the proceeds of the sale of the rifles is used to further markmanship in America.

The only reason NOT to do it is that you haven't saved up your $500 yet (like me [BD] )  The operative word being 'YET."

Enjoy. NO flame intended. Just a gentle prodding. [:D]

Peace.

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Now, that's the problem.  We have everything else together, except for that.  The one match he has shot in and the 100 rounds fired in a training class, apparently, don't count.  I don't even know of anywhere around where I live to shoot that doesn't require a truck to get to, which is why it has been six(!!) long weeks since I've been able to go shooting.  The state has a manned range and an unmanned range within 45 miles, but both are hard to get to.  So, you expect me in addition to be able to find an NRA match? :)

If you go to the NRA's web site, and search for "South Carolina Match" or "South Carolina Matches," it doesn't return any matches.  He joined the NRA about four months ago in an attempt to get help to find a match to compete in.  The only one that the NRA suggested was one that's held once a month, over 100 miles from here at Mid-Carolina Rifle Range, and it is at a time that both of us have to work.  It's held on Sunday mornings, and he is a preacher, so there is no way he can make it.  Any other suggestions?  Should we try to get them to accept the NRA class again?  Their application does state that one of the requirements can be met by, "at least 50 shots in an instructional clinic."  He did that in the CCW class.

BTW, I just noticed that one of the main news stories on their web site is one praising South Carolina's CCW law.  What a load of ####.  I hate to see the NRA blindly endorsing what some reporter wrote without first checking facts.z
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Zoom -

Asheville Rifle and Pistol Club

Belton Gun Club

Greenvile Rifle and Pistol Club

Carolina Rifle and Pistol Club (Charlotte)

These all shoot NRA approved matches. pretty much every month.

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Zoom -

Asheville Rifle and Pistol Club

Belton Gun Club

Greenvile Rifle and Pistol Club

Carolina Rifle and Pistol Club (Charlotte)

These all shoot NRA approved matches. pretty much every month.

View Quote

Add Mid-Carolina Rifle club in Columbia
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Dumb question--- is it pronounced

GAIR-and or GA-RAND
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That isn't a bad deal. You will find that the Garand is a distinct Improvement over a black powder muzzle loader....

For starters..you don't need to worry about percussion caps or replacing the flint in the hammer and priming it.

Also the sights are a bit better than your average muzzle loader...no Kentucky Windage necessary on the Garand !

Unfortunately the Garand is a "mouse gun". It is chambered in a pipsqueek 30 caliber instead of a real caliber like 45 or 54..but still it will get the job done in a pinch.

View Quote

I still need a muzzle-loader rifle for hunting season.  I want the Thompson Center Encore 209x50.  

OSA
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Here are a couple pictures of the Garand

[url]www.geocities.com/monsonjeep/g.html?1002157180000[/url]

I couldn't get pics to work, so follow link.

OSA

[Edited because I switched over from Homestead to Geocities (Homestead wants to charge me $29.99 a year for my web pages]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK -if none of us have told you how to do this, then WE need to get in the game. [:D]
2. Go to [url]www.odcmp.com [/url] and get an application. They are downloadable.
3.  Fill it out. Endorse check for $500
4. Send them in.
View Quote

Wow! you don't have to shoot 2 matches anymore.  But don't you need to have the application notarized?  And they take a check? When I ordered my Garand 10 years ago, it was cash, postal money order. But I paid $249 for mine, that was back when it was called DCM and was part of the U.S. Army. And it took over a year to deliver, but I think the CMP has got that down to weeks now.  My how times have changed.  I personally recommend that you get the CMP/DCM Garand, well-worth it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I am sure I will catch hell for this here. I went to buy one at a local sporting goods store that had them on sale. It was bulky,heavy and did not feel comfortable to shoot. Might have been state of the art 60 years ago but really out of date now. I passed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Yo Zoom--- In addition to what Garandman said...
1-Click in CMP link
2-Click on "Club Info"
3-Click on "Affiliated Clubs"
4-Enter SC
They show 16 NRA clubs in state. The rest is up to you guys...
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't look to bad for $ 399, but I think it's a sin to blue an M1 !! It looks like you have a long pinion elevation knob ( lock bar ) with a T105E1 windage knob ( post war ). Send it off for a park job and youll have a sweet M1......
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#24]
While we'er on the subject if someone can help me ID my Garand......
Markings:
         US Rifle
         Cal .30 M1
         Springfield
         Armory

Thanks       [sniper]

The wife mate is calling, I'll be back....
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Late June 1943...
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I called CMP about a week ago and apparently you don't even have to shoot in a match, but you will need to be a member of an affiliated club (which I am) and have them write a letter that you have shot more than 50 rounds within the last year. Damn, if I had a full auto, I could do that in a few seconds.

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Late June 1943...
View Quote

Thanks for the look up.

If I ever get a digital camara I'll post a picture.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Can a dealer (person with FFL) purchase a Garand from CMP without having to go through the hoops?

If so, could I not just have my dealer call and order one than simply purchase it from the dealer?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#29]
You could also look into shooting an NRA Silhouette match.
JThompson - No.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#30]
You don't need an FFL, the CMP will FED EX it right to your door. The eligability requirments are pretty easy now compared to the past if your in the military or a veteran you don't even have to shoot the 50 shots. The FFL dealers you see at the G-shows are the A-holes who order 5 rifles under there own name from the CMP and turn around and sell them for a profit....
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Today I got a chance to take a closer look at the Garand.  I field stripped it and did some cleaning.  I found that it is made up of mostly Springfield parts and has a Winchester barrel.

Here are some of the numbers on the parts:

Barrel
Winchester 6535448 6-67 4P

Trigger group
D28290-7-SA

Operating rod
D35382 9 SA

Bolt
D29287-19SA
  A-5

I also bought a parts kit from Wholesale Guns & Ammo.  It is ALL Beretta parts.  I had talked to them on the phone and they stated that they were USGI parts with a Berretta barrel.  I know the SGN said berretta parts, that is why I called and asked.  The stock was trashed, as I expected.  The medal was nice.  I am happy with what I had received.  

OSA
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#32]
The numbers on the parts are drawing numbers all will be marked the same way send Scott Duff an email and he will advise you to the mfg date of the wra barrel wra didnt mark their barels with a date during wwII
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#33]
The barrel is a 1960's  Winchester replacement and are not often encountered ? How is the bore and muzzle OSA ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top