Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/18/2001 10:31:32 AM EDT
I fully expect to get flamed on this one.

Having said that my question is:

"Of those of you who are rattling sabers and screaming for war, how many of you are actually in the military and eligible to be called into action?"

It seems that, much like the federal bureaucracy, you have no problem spending other people's capital (in this case blood).  

The question is really not meant as a "flame," rather maybe something just to think about.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]THIS [/b]  should be intersting....
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Good to go. Just need the anthrax vaccine.

(Doc)Sherman
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not in the military but if my country calls I will sign up in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#4]
They're callllinnggg.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I may not be a soilder, but I've got 2 things I need to fight.

A gun...and guts to fight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am not in the military but if my country calls I will sign up in a heart beat.
View Quote

How much more of a call do you need?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay, so far we have a total of

ONE individual who is elegible to fight,
ONE individual who is inelegible to fight,
ONE individual who will fight "IF" his country asks.
and,
ONE armchair General.

Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#9]
ex-Marine. Still able, still willing. Will sign up in a heartbeat if I'm needed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Now we have TWO individuals who will fight "IF" their country asks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't go, and I say every male of age that can damned well should.  I've got nothing on earth to apologize for either.

Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#13]
some (libs, my guess) think we should all sign up now. First, military can't handle everyone now. Second, it would be foolhardy to give up 4 years of your life now until we actually decide to fight. I am not at all convinced that the country has the stomach to do what is required here and some members of this board only reinforce that belief. For now there are plenty of active duty guys to start this. They may need more men in the near future.
If my options are fight now or wait until my kids have to fight a stronger, more determined enemy the choice is a simple one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#15]
What about you erin? Tell us what you're doing for your country? I've been there(military, that is) and unless you've walked the walk I don't think any of us deserve any shit from you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#16]
What do you expect MIerinMD? Nobody has asked them yet. Hell, everybody who knows what they're talking about has already said that this is not going to be a conventional type of effort. It is probably going to be more special ops work. We don't even have a country to proclaim war against yet. A few hundred, or even thousand, terrorists are not something that you can just send thousands of regular troops after. That doesn't even make any sense. Pretty much the only thing you could do with troops in this situation is use them as a threat against the nations who harbor the terrorists.

You're not getting much of a response to this question because it is sort of a stupid question/confrontation.

It's like,,, "HEY GUYS, who's gonna quit their jobs and put their lives on hold to join up and sit around for some indefinite period of time???"

Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a 11B (Lt. Infantry) in the MN National Guard.  So yes, if my country needs me(read deployed)I will be there.

I'm actually thinking of going active, but doing so would mean I would only be making about 1/3 of what I am now.  Tough decision, but thats another topic altogether.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm 51 and a retired Navy Senior Chief. Been retired 13 years. I had combat experience in 'Nam as a River Rat. As soon as all this shit started, I drove over to the Navy recruited and BEGGED" to be let back in. Due to my age, I was turned down. Went to the Navy Reserve recruiter, same story. Took a ride over to the National Guard and yup, you guessed it, too old. This is really pissing me off! Gonna keep trying..........
[50]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
MIer:  I was saying that I HAVE volunteered my services to the local USMC RSS, and that I WANT to go if the restrictions are relaxed and I am able to go.

What else can I do?  If I knew, God damn it, I WOULD be doing it.

If that makes me an "armchair General", then so be it.

Semper Fi!

Ken Little (Not a flame, just a clarification)
View Quote

I was referring to Rowgan.  You were listed as "inelegible" to fight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What about you erin? Tell us what you're doing for your country? I've been there(military, that is) and unless you've walked the walk I don't think any of us deserve any shit from you.
View Quote

Dr. Jarhead: You expressed my point EXACTLY.  Those who can't (or won't) "walk the walk" shouldn't "talk the talk".

Thank you for your service to our country Dr. Jarhead.

Michigander In Maryland (MIerinMD)
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Enlist now? No
If the draft starts and they need people? Yes

I'm past draft age. I have a business that needs to be run. I have a wife starting a new career. I can't enlist right now 'just for this action' and then get out. There are no 'special enlistments' that I'm aware of. I'd have to close my business, probably relocate, completely screwing up my wife's life in the process.
Now if it comes to short term enlistments or tours, that wouldn't require the standard length of service, then yes I would go.

Remember, the economy needs to keep going to fuel any war effort. Just because people aren't enlisting doesn't mean they aren't helping.

Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You're not getting much of a response to this question because it is sort of a stupid question/confrontation.

It's like,,, "HEY GUYS, who's gonna quit their jobs and put their lives on hold to join up and sit around for some indefinite period of time???"

View Quote

I appreciate your perspective, but it really wasn't meant as a confontation.  It simply an assessment of "those who are calling for war, who is [i]actually elegible to fight[/i]"

To those who "can't fight" for some reason or another, what HAVE you done?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#24]
MIerinMD,
Unfortunately, you nor anyone else can see inside our hearts and know what we will or are willing to do.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
MIerinMD,
Unfortunately, you nor anyone else can see inside our hearts and know what we will or are willing to do.
View Quote

You are absolutely correct Dr. Jarhead.  Only each individual knows whether his words will actually jibe with his deeds.  And they'll have to live with that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm in the USMCR from Battle Creek, Michigan.  My shits packed.  Now I'm just waiting for a friendly phone call.

Semper Fi

Smalls
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MIer: I was saying that I HAVE volunteered my services to the local USMC RSS, and that I WANT to go if the restrictions are relaxed and I am able to go.

What else can I do? If I knew, God damn it, I WOULD be doing it.

If that makes me an "armchair General", then so be it.

Semper Fi!

Ken Little (Not a flame, just a clarification)
------------------------------------------------

I was referring to Rowgan. You were listed as "inelegible" to fight.
======================
First off, I'm not an "Armchair General" Maybe you are, But I am not.

Second, my fault for not making this clear in the first post. *Plus, I'm in a bit of a hurry right now.*

I have tried to enlist, however, I am currently overweight. So, before I can enlist I need to get my fatass in shape. In which case I am doing now.

My old friend from high school is a Marine Recruiter. He called me up on Tuesday to ask me to enlist; however I told him I need to get in shape first.

Also, I can imagine they have plenty of volunteers to recruit from for now.

However, as soon as I get in shape it down to the recruiting office for me.  

***Also, I've got a fiance to support, it's not as if I can go and leave her behind. But if I could go now, I would.

You know, I don't see you enlisting.

[Edited cause I'm going to fast]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#28]
PROGUN, if you figure it out let me know.  I'm retired 1SG and ready to return, but too old.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Previous USAR, Captain.  Nurse Anesthetist.  Out for 12 years but I'll be there if they'll have me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I am a Corporal in the USMC Reserve. Been in 5 years and my war is only a phone call away. I am ready and willing to fight.

I can also speak for "Garand Shooter." He is also locked cocked and ready to rock. I havent heard from him in the last day or two, which is unusual, so maybe he's gone already.

I have no doubt that 99% of the board members here would be ready to fight for our country if they were able. Armchair commandos? Maybe. But at least they are Patriots. And at least they care.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Last time I read a poll on the big propaganda machine, somewhere in the neighborhood of 81% of Americans were calling for war and action.  I'd guess those figures (if true) run the same or higher for those in the armed forces.  I sure was gung-ho when I served anyway.

I don't think most members who are active duty servicemen would be hanging around the computer to reply to your post at this particular point in time.

Did my time in the United States Marine Corps.  I'm 38.  Put me down as armchair warrior or old man.  Either way, I served and would serve again.  I believe those who have served have a valid voice in the matter.  They've been there, they know.

Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I've already done 12 years for God and Country. My Reserve obligation was over last year, and my wife would literally "sh** a brick" and I'd get a beating if I re-upped.

If they call, I will go.

I think there will have to be a limited draft before we are done with this. We will need to rebuild and use our Heavy Divisions before this is over. This will require a national commitment not seen since the 40's.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
But at least they are Patriots. And at least they care.
View Quote

To this I have no doubt.  I think we all consider ourselves Patriots.  And I fully believe we all care too.

But sitting at home "caring" doesn't catch bin Laden or those who support him.  Neither does the wanton bloodlust of those unwilling to fight.

Please refer to thread: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=53029[/url]
For an example of what I'm talking about. Please pay particular attention to certain posters.  Then see if their words are reconciled on this thread.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

"Of those of you who are rattling sabers and screaming for war, how many of you are actually in the military and eligible to be called into action?"

View Quote

You betcha.
Supply Corp. LtJG(0-2) US Navy Reserves
I don't want war, but if it would mean justice for the American people then so be it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Ive been on active duty since 1988 and yes Im ready. What about you?

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#36]
As for myself, I am only 1 semester from graduating College. If I up and enlist now I'd have to leave in the middle of the semester and redo that entire semester or more to graudate.

But, if we go to war and I am needed, I will enlist. As of now, I'd have to either give up 4 years of my life or spend 8 weeks in Basic Training if I went Reserves. Either way, I'd lose everything I've done so far this semester. Once this semester is over, I might consider enlisting in the National Gaurd.

Personally, I have been pondering National Gaurd for about a year now, but didn't want to disrupt my education.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#37]
SSG in the NE ARNG. Gear is stacked and packed...waiting for a call...hope it doesn't come but if it does I'm there and I won't complain about it. Anyone else feeling Dajavue from about 1991?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#38]
So what's the count?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So what's the count?
View Quote

1 active
5 National Guard or Reserve
-
6 Eligible

4 Ineligible (medical,age,otherwise)
9 Would fight "if" asked
3 Arm Chair Generals
-
16 Currently on the Sidelines
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm 55 and I had my war, but if I had to go again I would.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ranger Out
View Quote

Ditto. What's your story if you're so judgemental?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Are you in the count MI.

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I read the whole form and felt a comment was in order.

Please put me down as a wanabee.  Beyond draft age but still want to help.

I would like to help in these times and now considering taking some EMT classes.  For others, there's the volunteer LEO or Fire Dept.  
I would much rather shoot some Taliban.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ranger Out
View Quote

Ditto. What's your story if you're so judgemental?
View Quote

I'm not being judgemental Death_By_AR15, just keeping score.  I just wanted to know if those who are so eager to go to war were actually going to be doing the fighting or just cheering from the sidelines.

War is a horrible undertaking.  Something to be taken with a clear head, a sound footing and with a specific objective.  

This should not something we look forward to doing, but rather something that HAS to be done.  With a sense of moral purpose and a heavy heart.

I didn't include myself in the tally simply because I am not one of those who are beating war drums and feeding on the irrational blood lust.  

I have, however contributed a considerable amount of money and 2 pints (so far) of my blood to the disaster relief effort.  This is in addition to my job working at a cancer biotech company here in southern Maryland.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Did my years in the Coast Guard & yesterday went to the reserve recruiter to sign up with them.  Doing my part!
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I figure I'll chide in here.

Put me down as Ineligible.  I lied twice to try to get into the Army National Guard.  Once in Illinois, once in Wisconsin with 4 years in between.  Each time I had a MI MOS lined up (94B I think).  As soon as they started the background checks they discovered that I've had kidney disease since birth.  Each time I was basically on the bus ready to go when they kicked me off and sent me home.  I've never had any problems with my kidneys but it's in my med records and it gives me a permanant medical disqualification anyway.  My best friend is an Army PT instructor.  He can hardly believe that they won't let me in.  The way he says it, I could run laps around %85 of the guys my age that are already in service.  I don't want to enlist so that I can get a free ride through college or to run away from home like a lot of 18yr old punks.  I want desperately to serve my country!  As soon as this all started happening in NY and DC, my wife new exactly what I was feeling.  All she could say was, "I'm sorry.  I wish they would have let you in."  That really tore me up.  So instead, I've dedicated myself to serving my country in another way.  I'm finishing school (with my own cash not yours, i.e. gov. funding) with serious plans to go to med school.  If I can't serve my country in the Army like my grandfather, you damn sure better believe that I'm going to serve it as a surgeon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

War is a horrible undertaking.  Something to be taken with a clear head, a sound footing and with a specific objective.  

This should not be something we look forward to doing, but rather something that HAS to be done.  With a sense of moral purpose and a heavy heart.
View Quote

That is one of the most intelligent statements I've heard in a week.

Blind rage will only get soldiers killed, and make more civilians victims and targets.  Our warriors are going in.  Some will die, and if it excalates, many more will die.  

I will do what I can, and I must support whatever actions will rid us of this threat.  Sitting around feeling useless is not my idea of the backing I'd like to give.

As for your contributions, GREAT job!  I believe I will follow suit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm 44 years old, have three small kids, am married, have psoriasis (mild) and flat feet (thank G-D for orthotics). I have no illusions about being a hero. But- if the service can use me for something, I'll go, even if it's at a weather station in AK.

"Be careful what you wish for- you just might get it."
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Active USAF,
Just hit my 4 yr mark and ready roll when the phone rings..

Aim High!!!

hawkin
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

...I have a business that needs to be run. I have a wife starting a new career. I can't enlist right now 'just for this action' and then get out. There are no 'special enlistments' that I'm aware of. I'd have to close my business, probably relocate, completely screwing up my wife's life in the process.
Now if it comes to short term enlistments or tours, that wouldn't require the standard length of service, then yes I would go.

Remember, the economy needs to keep going to fuel any war effort. Just because people aren't enlisting doesn't mean they aren't helping.

View Quote

This is pretty much my situation. I'm ex-USAF, and too old to just hop back into uniform, though I like to think I could do the job. If it gets to the point where I'm needed (God help us if Uncle Sam ever gets that desparate), though, even if it's just to stand out in the desert with a rifle and guard something (actually what would be likely in the current situation, come to think of it), then that's what I'd do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top