Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2001 8:12:21 AM EDT
I ask this because a buddy of mine mentioned he was going heavy now without a permit since the WTC. I noticed some posters mention their habits have changed since Tuesday also.

While I agree it's better to be "judged by 12 than carried by 6", it's much more likely that you will simply be arrested during a checkpoint stop or speeding ticket for non-CCW than have to use a gun to defend yourself and be vindicated by those of us who agree with your politics re: 2nd Amendment.

Please get a permit, if at all possible in your state.

Please support CCW legislation in times of peace.

And until then, if you are carrying illegally I understand why, but, be smart and keep your mouth shut about it for your own protection. Bragging/Bravado is just going to get you a record and make it impossible to get a permit later on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Good advise.  If carrying a gun is important enough for you to break the law, then it should be important enough for you to work on getting a permit (assuming you live in a free state).

Here in South Carolina, we have a shall issue law, but in practise it operates more like most other states, issue only to the well-connected.  I often work in the middle of the night, and I don't feel comfortable walking to/from work.  I really wish I could get a permit, but I'm not yet ready to start carrying illegally on a regular basis.  I'm at the point that you described your friend is at.  Is it more important to protect myself or stay out of jail?  If I'm mugged again, then I'm going to starting carrying, law be damned.z
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to be a dick, but shouldn't it be "If I'm mugged again, then I'm going to starting carrying, if they allow me to live..."

I am not advocating breaking the law, but remember there are laws greater than the laws of man and I think one of them reads:

"I shall not be food for the predator"

Just MHO.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Goose3201, while I agree with you that every person has the inalienable right to protect themselves, the simple fact is that the more likely predator is the one wearing a badge.  So, I'm stuck between a more likely possiblity of being beaten by a cop, put in jail, and losing my life savings to hire a lawyer, or the less likely possibility of being stabbed by a mugger.  From what I've seen from the LEO's around here, a rational person would chose not to carry, because they are a greater threat.  I just wish I had the option of carrying legally.z
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't believe in CCW. That is asking the government to give me permission to exercise my right.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been reluctant to get a Nevada CCW.  I just don't believe that I should submit to being treated like a convicted sex offender by the gov just to exercise a little personal security.  To make matters worse you have to tell the gov.goons what guns you carry, i.e. defacto gun registration on top of gun owner registration.  No thank you.

In Nevada, its legal to keep a loaded sidearm hidden in your car (just not on your person) so I rely on that for now.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are in an open carry state like Nevada, just do that. I'd rather carry open. My work approved me to carry concealed on the property, but I'm also going to get a permit from the city. The new chief is pretty good on "good cause". The permit is statewide for CA, if it is in use within your restrictions. I manage a shooting facility in the country, so I have the advantage of carrying lots of money to the bank, transporting firearms, transporting large amounts of ammunitio and closing at night in the middle of nowhere. Lots of other states will honor CA permits, so when I go out of town to gun shows and work related events, and I have guns and ammo in the car, my permit would be in effect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top