Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2001 11:07:31 PM EDT
Cheaper Than Dirt is out of stock and I'm guessing a lot of other places are out as well. Where have you purchased MRE's? Who has a good deal?
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
dude, buy some granola bars and fruit rollups with some little cans of ravioli that you can open with your hands and dont need to heat.  screw those mre's, they taste like shit.
N.B.  except the pork with rice and BBQ sauce, yummy!

speaking of yummy, what did the blind man say while walking past the fish case in the grocery store?

hello ladies
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a case of the real thing for hurricanes, crime scenes. (courtesy the US Army) I would not recommend them for anything else. Canned food, though taking up more room, is a much more nutrious alternative. Plus, MRE's are more expensive than a Cordon Bleu meal, and are only somewhat edible.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 3:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Try Major Surplus.  They have a good selection and the best prices I've seen.  I ordered about $200 worth last night.

MRE's cost about $5.50 a meal, not bad considering you're getting long duration food plus all the nutrients you need.

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The sole virtue of MRE's is that you can carry a couple of days worth of "food" in a relatively compact space.  Unless you are planning to do some refugeeing on foot, spend the money on canned food and keep it in a pantry that maintains a cool, dry climate.  Rotate your stock and use it on a daily basis.  It tastes better than MRE's and you have a far greater variety of things from which to choose.
FWIW, the C-rations we ate when I was in the service were better than MRE's in every respect except weight, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll have to disagree with the non MRE eaters.Try grabing up a meals worth of canned goods and heading out in the woods youll be eating them soon just to get rid of the wieght.MRE's are great for hunting,hiking,and I keep at least 2 cases around when ever possible.I saw at the gun show about 3 months ago for 25 bucks a new case,12 meals,thats just over 2 bucks each..with heaters.I dont buy the ones without heaters.Wish i had more money that day i would have bought 4 or 5 cases.Seriously if you eat everything(the food) in the meal youll be full.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FWIW, the C-rations we ate when I was in the service were better than MRE's in every respect except weight, IMO.
View Quote

Agreed, and C-rats sucked too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I almost picked up some of that tuna in the foil pouches last night, but the cheapest they had it for was $1.38 a pouch.  I'm going to check the local wholesale club tonight and see if they have a better price on it since I'm going to buy in bulk.  The only problem is that there's only tuna in those packs.  You need other vitamins and minerals that aren't in there.  But I guess that's why I keep multi-vitamins around the house.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:50:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Cannibalism is easier.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#9]
"Cannibalism is easier."PANGEA

Yeah, but you never really know what you're getting. hehehehe
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I love MRE's, great for a picnic....serious, for real
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#11]
"Meals Rejected by Ethiopians"?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Cannibalism is easier."PANGEA

Yeah, but you never really know what you're getting. hehehehe
View Quote

Lessee...do I cut the wart off before cooking, or after?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#13]
The new MRE's are good, esp. when heated.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#14]
man, you guys got to get canadian rations, they're super yummy! i've eaten when i'm on OAT with cadets, we get enough that i eat 3 of those a day and i'm never still hungry after the meal. i forget what the official name for them is.

people are always downing on rations, i say "go buy some canadian rations, bring 'em here, we'll do what the instructions say and you can eat them." we get chocolate bars in ours and gum, and peanut butter or honey in toothpast tubes.

man, i want some right now, it IS lunchtime...
man, now i'm all hungry.

OffRoad
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
"Cannibalism is easier."

Does it taste like chicken?

Actually, keep an eye out on E-Bay.  I ordered 2 cases of G.I. MRE's on Sunday for $36 each, with shipping came to $101 (Fl. to Oh.).  That was the buy now price too.  Looks like she's got 4 more cases listed now.

[email protected] is her seller I.D.

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1007206921[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top