Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 9/17/2001 10:43:24 PM EDT
I know about the Soviet problem in Afghanistan, but I remember everyone being scared of Iraq's 4th largest army. We bitch slapped them by the hundreds of thousands. I think anihilation is at hand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:51:16 PM EDT
Believing that they would fight to the death and consider it an honor to die, the U.S. and coalition forces were unprepared for the "Mother of All Surrenders."
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2001 11:03:11 PM EDT by Magic]
The Soviet Union was turned back in Afghanistan. Bin Ladin considers the mountains of Afghanistan to be very secure. Our commanders have admitted that we have very few military options in the area. He was trying to get the United States to go off on a half cocked military campaign that would galvanize the Muslim world against America. He wants to draw us into Afghanistan with poor supply lines, in unfamiliar territory, without proper air support, and put a whipping on us. The problem Bin Ladin has is that our military commanders are smart enough to realize this. We are going to wage war against him, but on our own terms. We, the American public, will find out what that is in the near future. [Edit] I don't think the Iraqi military was that bad. It rained high explosives in the desert for 40 days and 40 nights. I don't think the Iraqis were prepared for that. The Afghans are probably much better than the Iraqi.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:02:35 PM EDT
i still do not understand why we cannot nuke those damn mountains. we have nukes that dont dessimate entire countries. if you tree a squirrel, do you climb up there after him? i know i know, the world this and the world that. i guess its rhetorical.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:08:06 PM EDT
Another thing that I had forgotten is chemical warfare. I remember hearing reports of the Soviets using gas on the Afghans. It only seems logical that the Afghans have some of this gas that the Soviets used on them. The US has to wonder if the Afghans are going to use it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2001 11:11:09 PM EDT by gardenWeasel]
The Afghan Taliban does not control the entire country (about 2/3) bin Laden does not command their army.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:23:30 PM EDT
The Afghans will use gas and bio if they get the chance. We will also use it. But nuking the mountains is by far the best idea. Ground troops should also go into Kabul and roust the clergy and turn them over to the 1/3 that they don't control.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:31:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2001 12:33:06 AM EDT by Stg44]
You can't really compare the Taliban to a conventinal army. They are relegious zelots who are ready, sometimes even happy to die for Allah. They are crazy as sprayed roaches, and damn near as hard to get rid of. Also, you can't bomb someone back to the stone age who is already on the edge of being there. They were last defeated by Alexander the Great. Not a bad track record in my book. Remember, if they die in Jihad, the go straight to Paradise. They are given 40 virgins, and all the infidels they kill are their slaves for eternity. Basically, they are crazy as sprayed roaches! As to nukes, that is only a consideration if our troops/population are exposed to weapons of mass destruction. China, India, Pakistan, the rest of the world will not sit idly by while we contiminate them with fallout. Even tactical nukes, clean American ones, cause unacceptable levels of fallout. To be effective, you would have to use a shitpot full of them. It is a fairly large, arid, mountanious country. Full of ravines, caves and other natural "bunkers" for people to hide in. Unless you unleash "city buster" multi megaton sized bombs, they would not be that effective. (I didn't sleep through Army NBC school, unlike apparently a lot of folks did) Forget Nukes, unless they gas the hell out of an American/allied city/troops. Or even "borrow, beg, or steal a nke they set off over here. If we introduce troops into Afganistan, it will be a long, bloody, groundpounders/spec ops kinda war.
Top Top