Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2001 12:40:14 PM EDT
Is it a good idea to put a silica gell packet in the ammo cans with the ammo to get rid of any moisture?  We have huge packets of it that come with our equipment so it wouldnt cost me anything.

Thanks
Scott
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anybody know the proper procedure to re-activate silica gel? My gun safe came with 4 large packets I'd like to recharge.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I remember you bake it in the oven.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you bake it in the oven at relatively low temperature (around 200). just enough to remove the moisture from the cell.

This is great stuff to put in your ammo cans. Got some big ones in mine just for this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
240 degrees for a minimum of three hours works very well for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Other than saving the silica packs that come in some boxes, does anyone know where you can buy the small ones (to put in ammo cans)?
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Brown-Cor [URL]http://www.browncor.com[/URL] and Uline [URL]http://www.uline.com[/URL] sell  "desiccant" packets by the boxful.

I've also heard that kitty litter is a pretty good desiccant. Also, dried rice seems to work pretty well (like they put in salt shakers to keep the salt from clumping in humid weather).
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
You should be able to find them at any gun show.  Also, check out "Cheaper than Dirt"
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out a motorcycle shop. I get a lot from the Harley dealers here. The bikes come packed in crates with several large bags. These can be opened up and  put into a small cannister with pin prick holes. They used to throw them away, now they are saved for me. 2002 bikes are at the dealers now so go get some..
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Dessicants attract and retain moisture.  You want to attract and retain moisture in your ammo for what reason again?

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
If your ammo cans are in good shape, they should seal when closed, you should not need anything else.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Every time you open the box a little more moisture gets in. These little packs absorb it, if you're lucky.

Next time you go shopping with the wife or girlfriend, just check the pockets of the coats and jackets. If you go to the right store,,, PAYDIRT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top