BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2001 9:01:17 AM EDT
[size=3][blue]America's,New York city's & AR15.com's Finest.[/size=3][/blue]
[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/potw/2001920161354.jpg[/img]
[size=4]God Bless You[/size=4]

Just got off the phone with Wave. He's doing 12 hrs shifts at ground zero. The scene is just unimaginable. He was at the mini morgue on West St. It's mostly parts being brought in. The bags are opened, blessed by a chaplain then examined and made ready for later transportation. The smell of the dead is starting to eminate from the rubble pile. Ray saw them pull out an ambulance from the rubble pile and a few crushed police cars. I said this in my post about my time WTC and it bears repeating. All the people there are going at this full tilt. There is no slowing of effort at any time. All this is being done with the knowledge that there are (besides the 5000 civilians) probably 500-600 of your brother and sister police officers, EMS workers, and FDNY personnel inder your feet.

On the whole(besides the obvious)he said he's doing OK. They are well fed,i.e. Outback Steakhouse has a tent set up there, and Ray is eating Black Angus steaks. In his words, "We're eating like kings."

On the lighter side and keeping in the true spirit of an AR15.commers Ray and I are already planning what to do with his overtime check and my little Navy check from my two day activation. It's gonna be Knight's RISs and Reflex II 12.5MOAs for us and our LEGPs.

If you feel like it you can give Ray a call. AT&T has handed out free cell phones with chargers and earmikes out to rescuers and other personnel there free of charge.

A few requests from Ray

Keep it short, he is busy.

If he doesn't pick up, he may have his hands full with work. You more than welcome to try later. I know Ray and everyone there would love some words of encouragement from AR15.com board members.

The # [size=3][red]1-917[/red][blue]434 6207[/blue][/size=3]

If I hear from Ray again I'll post more.

Stay safe all!

Sherm

Could someone tack this?

[i]Changed Topic -- GB[/i]
I hope you don't mind me editing the # to make it bigger and more fitting. Striker.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I really want to call but the thought of interfering for even 1 minute with the task at hand would bother me.  I know they need/want to work, rest but also feel encouraged so my question is - Is it an ok time to call?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Since your friend is figurtively speaking "up to his arm pits in allegators....." I will personally avoid calling him.  Please let him know that a lot of people on this board will be interested on whatever any news, observations, insights he may be able to share with us.

USA! USA! USA!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I too just got off the phone with him, and all that I can say is [red]Thank GOD for the sanitized news coverage![/red]

Ray is our brother, and acknowledged that our phone calls go a very long way to help these guys get through this.  He says he has only been home for 1 1/2 hours since this all began, and that the end is nowhere in sight.

[b]God Bless these men, fore they are truely what America stands for![/b]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#7]
He wants your calls. Honest! He said so himself. He is seeing a lot but is has a bit of down time as well. If he's busy he won't answer. If he answers, he isn't busy!

Give him a call.

Sherm
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I did call, he certainly didn't mind and I think other calls will be good.  I did tell him that myself and others were reluctant to call but that we all were thinking of him.

For those of us only being able to see what's on the news we have a glimmer of hope that there will be someone else found alive, that hope seems to be gone for Ray considering what they're all contending with.  I'm praying for all of them (rescue workers, investigators, family & loved ones, etc.) and I'm still praying that if there is a heartbeat under that rumble that it will be heard, found and that the person will be lifted out alive, even one less # on the death toll means something!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I just talked to Ray... It's hard to put my feelings into words here - my emotions are running wild. He is doing fine and he sounded great.

I urge other members here to call him and show your support. It really means a lot to him, and I am sure that considering all that he has seen since this began, calling and showing your support helps make a difference in these difficult times.

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I just spoke to Ray and he's asked me to tell everyone how much the calls of support have meant.  Despite the horrors of dealing with the rescue attempt, he sounds upbeat and confident in the resiliancy of our counrty and our citizens.
 To Ray, NYShooter, and the thousands of faceless heroes we'll never know, [b]Thank You, and God Bless You[/b]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I tried to call from L.A., but unfortunately I couldn't get thru because of the heavy volume of calls into that area.  I will try again later.

USA! USA! USA!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got off the phone with Waverunner. He is doing well and is very appreciative of the calls he has received. The phone calls mean a lot to him. He is telling his fellow officers about our calls and how we are thinking of them
and our support for them. He and the other Police officers, Firemen, EMS, and others are an inspiration to us all. These pricks may have broken our hearts, but they will NEVER BREAK OUR SPIRIT!!!
Stay strong Waverunner.
ARH
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#14]
2030 Hours - Finally home again to sleep/shower/shave/s&!t in no particular order.  I just wanted to say to everyone that has called me, "THANK YOU", it is nice to put an actual voice behind the words you guys type.  Even though we may never ever meet in person, I still feel as though I'm there talking in front of you.  To those that are hesitant to call do not be a stranger, we're all in this together.  I did not plan on being something of a celebrity on AR15.com, I just wanted to be the eyes and ears at "ground-zero" for you guys and tell it like it is to everyone else here that wants to know whats going on in NYC. I told my fellow officers what I was going to do when AT&T gave us these free phones and they thought I was crazy...the constant ringing of the cellphone with words of support do go a long way. We all appreciate it.

Thank you's to all that have offered anything to help me out...I'd like a real M4, full-auto, ACOG, and 5 cases of ammo delivered to my doorstep so that I can personally hunt down these terrosrist bastards myself, I know I shouldn't be joking at a time like this but that is how this cop deals with the horror.

If you want to call, I work a 0400 X 1600 tour of duty, that's Eastern Standard Time. You can call as early as 0300 hours during my commute in and anytime during my tour, if I don't answer it's simply because I'm running around busy, I do try to say "hi" to everyone.

Also you can send cards and stuff to my precinct if you feel the need. That's:

NYPD - 5th Precinct
c/o Police Officer R. Quindara
19 Elizabeth St.
NY, NY 10002

Please, don't send food, we have enough, and I would hate to waste it!!!!!!!

I'll post more Manhattan South NYPD precinct addresses, and firehouses too as soon as I can get a list together.

Take care everyone and thanks again.[beer]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#16]
We also just conferenced a call for DonR and I, so our wives could thank him for all he has done of America...

He has to back at the front lines at 4:00am, so sleep is a precious commodity for him right now... therefore he has asked that you guys hold your calls until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#17]
LEGP 2002 #1 and #2 for Waverunner and Nyshooter.

I am down for $20.00.  Can it happen?

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Just got off the phone with Ray, caught him as he was getting ready to head in for his shift. Was his first call, and albeit a little tired, he sounded focused and ready to get to it.

He wants you guys to call, so please do. It really does help him along to get our support, and if you haven't called, do so, and thank him. Give him a few words of encouragement. Let him know we're there for him, and with him. He really is a great guy, even if he and his own are 'only doing their jobs,' as he says.

Whatever they're doing, they're damned sure HEROES in my book.

Edited because I don't pay attention to my typing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
LEGP 2002 #1 and #2 for Waverunner and Nyshooter.

I am down for $20.00.  Can it happen?

Zaz
View Quote

Ummmmm, not really.  Those belong to Grin&Barrett!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#21]
You guys are thinking SMALL, and we'll just leave it at that for the time being! [;)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Just called Ray but no answer.  Must have been busy.  Hopefully I can get ahold of him and let him know we support him and pray for him.

Semper Fi

Smalls
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I talked to Ray this morning and he sounded fine, said he was doing his usual job chasing "bad guys".  Those guys are doing one hell of a job, I am grateful that there are men and women like Ray out there to respond to situations like this.  Ray, God Bless You, and Thank You.

My 1000th post dedicated to Ray and the entire rescue crew at Ground Zero.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I just tried to call him.  After 4 rings, I decided he was sleeping or working and hung up.  He called me back!!  This is one incredible dude.  He really enjoys the calls.  He has to be up in 2 hours to go back as he is working 0400 to 1600.  I felt that I was keeping him awake, but he wanted to talk.  This man deserves our utmost respect and support.  He said to thank everyone for the support and the calls.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Is there anything you and the crews can use? I"m glad you're getting decent chow :)

Reason I ask: An EMS friend sent mint altoids (by the case)...makes using a rebreather a bit more pleasant for the recovery crews.

Just say the word...will do my best

Possum Killer,aka Gwen in L.A.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Again, if we could get numbers for the other guys out there, I think they would all benefit from hearing our voices and support...

So if anyone has a way to contact, Plamer, NYShooter, and Ronin45, PLEASE let us know.

-- GB

(Besides, Ray is just HOGGING all our love!)
View Quote

Goatboy & everyone else.....thanks for asking!!
I have been trying to get in touch with Waverunner at that cell #, but no luck so far. Waverunner if you read this, email me if you know ahead of time where you'll be and I'll stop by you.

Today I was doing a zillion things at once. It's a real long day but running around kinda keeps your mind off of things ya know.

I have to admit, when I get home I lose it and hug the sh*t out of my wife and we both just.....cry and I'am 33 year old cop and have seen plenty of people dying and dead in my 13 years of service but...

Well, got get some Zzzzz's.

BTW, I didn't get a cell phone, I will try to borrow my brothers and I'll post it here tomorrow.                                                                                   Again thanks for the support, it helps........[blue]ALOT!!![/blue]

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is there anything you and the crews can use? I"m glad you're getting decent chow :)

Reason I ask: An EMS friend sent mint altoids (by the case)...makes using a rebreather a bit more pleasant for the recovery crews.

Just say the word...will do my best

Possum Killer,aka Gwen in L.A.
View Quote

PK,
Sorry didn't see your post till now. As of today we still needed welding equip. and work gloves. Tomorrow I will find out the update of what is needed, it changes pretty quickly.

It has been very impressive on the donated goods, I know we have alot of clothes and food, but I will try to get online somewhere from ground zero and post whats needed.

[red]THANKS FOR ASKING![/RED]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Palmer...was that you trying to reach me on police radio division 1 yesterday? I do go by "waverunner" on the airwaves, I was in 5th precinct sector A/B/G yesterday and I should be going to the detail at ground zero today. Most 5th Pct. guys are getting sent to post at the area around Church and Murray just ask for me around there. Or try the cell phone again....

Later,
 Ray
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I just got off the phone with Waverunner, had a good talk.  I had to tell, that all the LEO and Fire Dept in Las Vegas, NV area had a Candlelight Vigil on 9-17-2001.  We had 2100 Officers, Firefighters, family and citizens show up.  Sheriff Keller started a fund for the family of fallen Officers and Firefighters last Thursday and already has $2,300,000.00. 2 hotels, each gave $1,000,000.00.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I just got off the phone with waverunner, had a good talk.
Sherm8404, THANKS VERY MUCH, for the opportunity to voice my thoughts to a savior personally.
Stay safe and keep up the good work all ye brave Men and Women
Hans
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, I think living in California is starting to affect my brain. I called Ray last night! Woke him up (I appoligize AGAIN, Sorry [rolleyes][smash] )
He's got alot of patience for someone who's been in the middle of it all. For all the others working out there (anyone at the Pentagon?), I have the highest respect for what you are doing and going through. Thank You!
I feel like I owe Ray a beer, dinner, something. If someone knows of a good eating/drinking place close to him, let me know. I'll call up and set up a tab for him and any others working there. I know they've been fed, but if they want a change of pace, I'm happy to oblige.
WSmac
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Was in NYC this weekend.  Now I know how the Pyramids in Egypt were built with raw manpower.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Palmer...was that you trying to reach me on police radio division 1 yesterday? I do go by "waverunner" on the airwaves, I was in 5th precinct sector A/B/G yesterday and I should be going to the detail at ground zero today. Most 5th Pct. guys are getting sent to post at the area around Church and Murray just ask for me around there. Or try the cell phone again....

Later,
 Ray
View Quote

No Ray, that was not me. Are your RDO's still cancelled? I heard they were allowing RDO's to commands. My command is still under, "all RDO's cancelled until further notice". If your getting your RDO's, what squad are you in? I will try to get over to you on Thursday. I know tomorrow I'am going over to Fresh Kills Land fill on S.I., not sure what for, I can only guess to go through the rubble. I will call you tomorrow.

I had to tell, that all the LEO and Fire Dept in Las Vegas, NV area had a Candlelight Vigil on 9-17-2001. We had 2100 Officers, Firefighters, family and citizens show up. Sheriff Keller started a fund for the family of fallen Officers and Firefighters last Thursday and already has $2,300,000.00. 2 hotels, each gave $1,000,000.00.
View Quote

That is incredible. [BLUE][B]THANKS A MILLION![/B][/BLUE]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#36]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/037/ve/Mm/TH/E930176.jpg[/img]

This photo shows the crushed Fire trucks, police cars and ambulances. BTW, thats me.(Above)

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/034/XF/ZH/23/Ma97020.jpg[/img]

This is looking towards the calapsed towers.(Above)

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/027/H1/bE/JH/E352203.jpg[/img]

Again, looking towards calapsed towers, you can see the "skin" still standing.(Above)

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/033/mf/sy/bc/EH46916.jpg[/img]

Ditto.

All the above photos are from Friday. I used a desposible camera, thinking I could use my computer scanner when I got home.  But I forgot, my scanner is busted, so.........I had to resort to using my digital camera when I got home and I took pictures of pictures, so sorry about the quality.

I have more, too tired, I'll post more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No Ray, that was not me. Are your RDO's still cancelled? I heard they were allowing RDO's to commands. My command is still under, "all RDO's cancelled until further notice". If your getting your RDO's, what squad are you in? I will try to get over to you on Thursday. I know tomorrow I'am going over to Fresh Kills Land fill on S.I., not sure what for, I can only guess to go through the rubble. I will call you tomorrow.

It seems that RDO's are back in effect for the 5th Pct. Normally I'm in squad A3, but for the time being I'm stuck in 0400 X 1600. I should have a 3 day swing after today, I NEED IT!, unless of course they drop an ordered O/T notification on my ass(like that has never happened before)!!! [beer]

Give me a call, we all have to meet up somehow
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey, I'm serious! If anyone knows of a bar or restaurant I can call and set up a tab for these guys, let me know. I need the name and phone for the place. Thanks
WSmac
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey, I know Im getting into this conversation kinda late....but Im getting jealous of Waverunner!!!!!  Doesnt anyone want to talk to lil' old Hunduh?    hehehehe.....really, I am getting jealous!!!!!

Hunduh
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey, Hunduh. Same here. You guys and those working beside you have my absolute respect! Thank you for your dedication. If there's a place somewhere there that you all can get to for some down time - get away from the crowd, a change in diet, whatever, let me know, I'll buy you lunch, dinner, a beer? After all, how hungry/thirsty can four guys be anyway?    
[beer] LOL
WSmac

er, is it five AR15'ers? Sorry!
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Just tried to call, could'nt get thru, I'll try again later.
Hang in their guys, were thinking of you even way out here in hawaii. [beer] You guys are doing a GREAT JOB!

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey Hunduh,
Just let me know your number and I'll get back to you, it might be wise as to state when you're best able to receive calls (Shift times..)
Last night (Dutch time) I, along with my 11 yr old son, had another tel. conversation with Waverunner.
It was hard to make out who was more enthousiastic, Waverunner or Matthew (my son).
Waverunner, Hunduh, Ronin45, Palmer, NYshooter and all others concerned, our thoughts and prayer are with you, God Bless.
Hans
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hey, I know Im getting into this conversation kinda late....but Im getting jealous of Waverunner!!!!!  Doesnt anyone want to talk to lil' old Hunduh?    hehehehe.....really, I am getting jealous!!!!!

Hunduh
View Quote

The only reason I'm able to have everyone call me is that I was lucky enough to obtain one of the "Disater Relief" phones that AT&T was so generous enough to distribute to emergency service personnel. AT&T is paying for the phone bills until this detail ends...hey they've been hitiing me in the wallet for so long it's nice to be able to make free calls.

I beleive NEXTEL still has phones available at the Corner of West St and Murray. All you need is your ID card and they'll set you up with one
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hey, I'm serious! If anyone knows of a bar or restaurant I can call and set up a tab for these guys, let me know. I need the name and phone for the place. Thanks
WSmac
View Quote

When everything calms down, I'm sure we're all going to need to get together for a nice warm meal and drinks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Duh, it WOULD help if I listed a number right???  I guess after I post this number I have to be careful what I say on the board or I may start getting crank calls.....hehe.

My PERSONAL cell phone munber is 718-614-8809, my name is Steven.  

Two more things, one is that we are still working 13-15 hour tours so its kinda hard for any of us meet up (especially the NYPD guys because all of our hours are different), but I am working 0400 to 1600 (more like 1800 by the time I get face-to-face relief),

Second, Waverunner, how the hell did you manage to get a free cellphone with long distance???  I have MCI, I pay 60 bucks a month, and I havent havent been able to make any long distance calls since last Tues....kinda sucks because all of my family is in Florida, and I bought the cell phone for the free long distance...

Lastly, in a few weeks when things simmer down (hopefully sooner), I would really like to set up a date where all of the New York area AR-15.comers could get together for a beer, it could be anywhere really, just name the place....what do you think??  How many guys reading this are from the NYC area??

Oh yeah, my cell phone is free after 9:00 pm (Eastern?) time so that is the best time to call....sorry guys, but my phone isnt free!!!
(Damn you Waverunner!!!!!!)

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Free cellphone with long distance??? Thank AT&T for that. The were giving out about 250 phones when the WTC disaster occured, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time...on Broadway right outside City Hall Park. Last I checked they were out of phones, but you could go back there and switch off your dead batteries for fresh ones anytime you wanted.

I still think NEXTELL is giving out free phones to cops. They look like our police radios but if NEXTELL is picking up the tab for ALL calls made like AT&T is, would you complain?

I'm with Hunuh(is that what you drive?) on having all NY members meet up when this all calms down, especially Palmer, NY Shooter, and Ronin45.  First things first, we still have our jobs to do, but we should all consider filling out our 28's and meeting up eventually. I'm in squad A3(midnight's)at the 5th Pct. in case you were wondering ...

Later,
 Ray
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#50]
28???? You mean, like a day off???  HAHAHAHAHA thats pretty funny Wave!!!!!Not in my house!!!

And I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a 67 Shelby (read: CLONE) Convertible in the summer.  Hunduh is the name of a beach in Malta, in the town where my mom is from......

Seriously though, I want to thank OLYCAR15 and Beekeeper, and all the others who called me today......I really appreciate your kind words....  You guys rule!!!!    Steven
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top