Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2001 9:31:28 AM EDT
I would think the quick barrel detach and the ability to use AR mags such as the beta-cmag would make it a viable option for a squad automatic weapon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I think right on the receiver there is a switch to detach the barrel quickly (not sure).

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#3]
They already have a SAW similar to that.  I can't recall the military designation, but it already does that and more that the Robinson.  It can be belt or mag fed with a quick change barrel and much more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The M96 does have a quick change barrel.  You depress a button under the handguard, just forward of the receiver, and can pull the barrel forward.  Of course you must have the bolt partially retracted or locked to the rear to take it out.  It's very quick and easy, but it's also easy to [b]not[/b] properly seat the barrel and fire the gun... which can get ugly.

You must touch the barrel to remove it and there isn't a handle to use, so a glove or mit (towel or the equivalent) must be used when it's hot.

The M96 is a true modular design.  Some folks claim the HK90 series rifles are, but they aren't even close compared to the M96.  You can put the trigger housing on either side of the receiver, in essence turning the gun up-side down for Bren type operation or belt feed systems.  It's a trick design, heavily based upon the Stoner 63A design... but no parts (expect for the buttstock) are interchangeable between the two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top