Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2001 8:28:36 PM EDT
Just talked with my recruiter and he told me since I'm already airborne qualified, I will be able to go into the 75th Rangers.

I was in the 82nd airborne for 6 years and got out in 1996 and spent a year in the reserves.

I wont have to go to basic training again and will only lose a rank is all.

Since I was pramotable, the army said they could give me a waiver and I would keep my rank.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Two words:

IN WRITING

Otherwise, bend over...[sex]

(Congrats, though.  I hope it works out for you!)
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Proud of ya. Thats what my Dad served in before
and during the Korean War. Changed d.o.b. on birth papers, enlisted at age 16. Thank You. 82DEUCE forever.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Good for you big guy!  You're going to where the rubber meets the road.

Jim

USMC (Ret)
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]
It wont be confirmed till I go to MEPs
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
[beer]
Congratulations!!
That's almost as good as getting to be a MARINE.[}:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Proud of ya. Thats what my Dad served in before
and during the Korean War. Changed d.o.b. on birth papers, enlisted at age 16. Thank You. 82DEUCE forever.
View Quote

My dad forged papers to serve during the Korean War as well.  Unfortunately he got in some trouble and they found out he was only 14 when he enlisted.  Dishonorable discharge and a one way ticket home. [:(]  But he was always proud of serving.  He just hoped I'd never have to.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#9]
EIGHTYDUECE,
Check-in on the link below to ensure you are getting a square deal.
-David
[url]http://www.socnetcentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.pl?action=topics&forum=75th+Ranger+Regiment&number=6&DaysPrune=60&LastLogin=[/url]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Ahhem, not to pee on your parade, but...
You have a very large hurdle to overcome to join the Rangers. It is called, Ranger Scool.
I have a freshly retired 1st Sgt. from the Ranger training cadre, and an ex-Marine Force Recon Ranger grad. who both work for me. We also have the second phase of Ranger training here in my district. Camp Rudder, which is on the Eglin AFB reservation. I just helped the cadre last week get some Ranger canidates safely across Hwy. 87 near Yellow River.
I hope you are prepared for the Darby Queen, mountain training, land navigation, sleep depravation, and on and on or Ranger training.
Good luck, but be damn prepared!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: ... or I would ditch the dysfunctional family and rejoin.
View Quote

[size=3]ROTFLMAO[/size=3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#13]
First I'm prior 82nd AIRBORNE DIV. combat arms (16R) 6years, and have already served in the gulf and I know full well what is expected.

To get into the Bat. I must simply go to 11B school and then complete Ranger Indoctrinary Training (RIP), Im already Jump school qualified and have not been out long enough to have to go to Basic training again.  Due to college credit earned in the last couple of years, I will not lose my rank that I had before I got out from the 82nd.

It will be around a year after being attached to a Bat. before I go to the full school.

P.S. A regular Marine is nothing close to a Ranger they are no better at being an infantryman then the regular army infantry.  Even Forced Recon is the same as LRRS in the army and not in the same bracket as the 75th Rangers.  but I know what you mean CPL_PUNISHMENT :).

The Marines are a very proud bunch!! second only to Texans mabye :)
But they are as tough as you can get.
I have fought alongside Marines and think they ROCK!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I talked with a Ranger recruiter on the phone and found out that it could take soemtime for a slot to open for Ranger since I'm prior service (they prefer firstime enlistees). Damn recruiters.

So I have the choice of going back to the 82nd and into an Infantry regiment.  One more catch was since infantry school in the Army is OSUT, I will have to go thru basic again since there isnt a break in the training phases between Basic and AIT for that MOS.

So I've given myself a week to think about it since it has some snags as I described.

I know once I get into the 82nd again I can easily get a Ranger slot if I make soldier of the quarter, unless its changed since I have left.

Either way the 82nd will see some good serious action in this so it will still rock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
before I got out from the 82nd.

P.S. A regular Marine is nothing close to a Ranger they are no better at being an infantryman then the regular army infantry.  Even Forced Recon is the same as LRRS in the army and not in the same bracket as the 75th Rangers.
View Quote

You are right about one thing. Force Recon is not the same bracket as Rangers. Force Recon guys I've worked with were the most high speed dudes I've ever known. Right up there with Delta(when FR did HR).

I'm Army Infantry and IMO Marine Infantry are better trained. Have you seen the privates Benning is turning out lately? At least the Corps hasn't lowered their standards. Good luck at RIP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top