Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2001 10:40:30 PM EDT
I have been calling the DOJ since yesterday, speaking to one specific person, because they refused to allow me to pick-up my firearm. I found out yesterday why. It was because I had a felony warrant in the past. In a case that was already dropped 6 months ago, in another state no less. She kept saying she had to confirm whether or not it was an active warrant. I told her it was dropped 6months ago, over and out... you can see for yourself on the circuit court website. She still wouldn't listen to me, as if I was lying to her. Then I call today to see if she had confirmed for herself if it was active or not. She said something to the effect of yes, she now sees that the case was dropped, BUT... she now has to check NICS to make sure I dont have an active warrant on there. Wait a minute... isnt that what I wen't though initiall in the backround check, NICS approval??? Don't they check for warrants when you buy the gun?? This doesn't smell right... I think the DOJ is just trying to keep me from picking up my firearm. She seems to stall everytime I call, and tells me tommorow it will be resolved. I'm sick of hearing tommorow. Could this be considered a violation of my 2nd amendment rights, by knowingly preventinting me from legally owning a firearm, which I clearly have a right to?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to start posting this in the Legal Forum.Just my .223 cents

Alex
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeeper21,

Take a deep breath.  It sucks but from reading what you wrote, you might be coming off a little strongly to this girl.
I really doubt it's her personal agenda that is preventing you from obtaining your gun.
Giving her anything but a most respectful attitude is not going to further your cause.

Sorry I can't be of any real use.

David
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, I am polite with her on the phone and tried my very best to assist her by providing everything she needed to confirm that the case is closed, but she doesn't take anything I say as truth, and when I tell her she can check for herself, she says it isnt thier policy. Each time I call, she says she will call me tommorow and let me know. Each time she has not called. I will wait and see if she does today, but I think I will have a feeling of Deja-Vu...
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, she actually called me this morning and cleared me. One other catch though... apparently the system they use "electronic" as she described it, takes an entire day before it shows up on the store's computer. Just another way screw me out of one more day.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Jeeper21:

What gun did ya get???
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Jeeper21---The gal at DOJ was not trying to screw you. There was no disposition of the case with the agency that filed on you. When it was dropped no one bothered to update files. This is a common reason for denial. The mere fact that it was resolved so fast means the DOJ employee found out what was going on and corrected it. Remember you're dealing with state and federal bureaucracy here...
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a Beretta 92F pistol. Nothing special, but its a gun that I like alot (owned one before), and Beretta is pro 2nd amendment and supports the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice pistol.  

I got one too and is my second choice after HK P7M8 among 9mm.  Don't tell anybody this but I like my Beretta more than my Glock, Browning or Sig 9mm.  

Don't let this problem with DOJ get you down... you'll get the pistol soon.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I always have to wait, every time. I've been a cop for ten years. I sometimes wonder if in my own case the delay is because of the background check and fingerprint card sent to the FBI upon being hired. Like maybe a flag or something that comes up when a person has been fingerprinted. I've never been denied, but always delayed. Some system the feds have created.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
seb127,
This is the state dicking him around, after NICS has already approved him.  Basically, the Feds are saying, go pop some lead, we trust you but the state is saying, we're smarter than the FBI and we ain't gonna let you have it.

Jeeper,
Was it worth the wait?  You have shot it by now, right?  OR did they mean one business day and you have to wait unti Monday?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I know all about how NICS works.
Listen.
If you were outright denied then you have some work to do.
If you were delayed then after 3 business days have passed you get the gun.
The 4473 will be marked no response provided.
If you bug people and give them a ration of shit then you are the last guy they will try and help.
I promise I see this shit every day.
Guys that give me a hard time get a refund on their purchase and a explanation that since I have no controll over the system I can't do one damn thing to help them. Rantingand raving will not help.

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I finally got my pistol. It wasn't easy though! The store screwed up and charged me the wrong price, apparently I owed $30 on the balance, even though I [i]thought[/i] I had paid everything in full the day I purchased the firearm. The cashier forgot to charge me tax on the firearm, basically. I wasn't happy about it, but they where nice enough to give me 2 50rnd boxes of 9mm ball, and a 50rnd box of hydra shocks for thier screw up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top