Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2001 9:21:38 PM EDT
I'm going to south carolina soon, and may wind up working there.  What can you all tell me about the state's gun laws, as far as what, if anything, is illegal above and beyond federal law, and how do I get a CWP?  thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#1]
nothing huh?
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Hrm. Well, I'll say what I know. My brother is in the process of applying for a Class III license, but neither of us have concealed carry permits (we mostly just do range shooting.)

First off, full auto is just plain illegal, even with a class III. Silencers are fine if you jump through the federal hoops.

Concealed Carry is shall-issue; i believe there's a training course involved but I'm not sure. ( a good source for info would probably be http://www.scfirearms.org/ ). At any rate, it's easy enough to get that I've seen gun shops advertise "get your CCW here" programs. Once I buy/find a pistol that I actually wouldn't mind carrying I'll probably get the permit, just to have it.

Gun use for home defense isn't just legal, it's openly encouraged by the state attorney's office as crime deterrent. (even to the use of such slogans as "invade a home, invite a bullet.")

Apart from that I'm fairly vague as to the specific laws. I have a sneaky feeling that it's not kosher to do open carry (especially in cars) but I think that if you were charged for that it would more likely be on some sort of "disturbing the peace" charge than it would on express violation of a gun law. All in all, I'm fairly happy with SC's gun laws - they could use work, but on a national scale it's a good place for gun owners to be.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#3]
In S.C. businesses that are posted "NO CONCEALED WEAPONS" are off limits to concealed carry, per state law.  All Subway Sandwich shops in S.C. are so posted.  That's all I know.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]
A nice summary:

[url]www.nraila.org[/url]

Go to "firearm laws".
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If you carry a pistol in your car in SC, it has to be in the glovebox or trunk, although it can be loaded and ready. The CC permit course is usually just a 1 day affair. Full auto is REAL illegal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.packing.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Norman74, contact this email address for the South Carolina Grassroots Organization.  

[email protected]

I am an LEO in South Carolina. The other posts covered the law pretty well.

Oh yeah, welcome to South Carolina, God's Country ;-))
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Blue207, you said:
Oh yeah, welcome to South Carolina, God's Country ;-))

You mean North Carolina, don't you. :D

Link Posted: 2/25/2001 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Blue, what part of the state?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top