Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2001 12:42:40 AM EDT
As a kid I grew up in Saskatchewan, in western Canada.

My Dad every summer, back in the 60s used to take his ole white 1958 Ford Skyliner with the whole family and top down, to the USA for holiday.

Montana, The Dakotas, Wyoming.  Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Roosevelt Nat'l Park, Devils Tower, etc.

I remember it all so much, especially Deadwood, and all that cowboy stuff. It was so cool.
All my family now have since long passed on, and I live here in Australia, but last year I was back to Regina for a holiday, and my wife and I went to South Dakota, and I had not had that much fun since I was a kid. Wal;ldrug, Broken Boot gold mine, The cemetery with Wild Bill and Calamity Jane.

Although Deadwood had changed a bit, the No10  Saloon was there, and so was all that cowboy stuff too. Parades and the 'Spirit of 76' annual celebration.

I watched as kids walked around with their toy 6 guns coyboy hats and spurs thinking they were Matt Dillon ( or whoever it is now), just like I did 30 years earlier.

To me that was America, a layed back, easy going friendly nation who loved Coke and apple pie.

To preserve this way of life is worth defending, and if need be sacrificing lives to uphold.

I know South Dakota is not NYC, but its a way of life which must be preserved for your generations to come.

It is America, where I have visited too many times to count. As an adult I have trained with the US Army, and Marines. I have always enjoyed myself, and I never had to buy a beer. I felt at home with you. I felt comfortable.

You have always treated me with respect and I have made lifelong friends.

You are an good ally to have.

With what has happened in the past two days, well its a nightmare come alive. I hope it brings you all closer together to fight for a common cause, so future generations of kids can holiday to Deadwood just like I did 30yrs ago, and hopefully just like kids will 30 years from now.

Again our prayers are with you all.

1feral1
Sydney  
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for your many kind posts.

Tate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top