Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2001 9:15:47 AM EDT
What is scaring me more than a terrorist attack is what the damn overreaters in the govt are going to do with what is left of our freedoms. At this point in time the sheeple are willing to accept anything and everything a schumer or feinstein proposes "for our own good".

"They that give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Any excuse to rob us of our freedoms is a good one, it seems.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Lets be ONE nation right now.

God people the Gov. did not do this one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

a2, Imbro wasn't saying that the govt did it, he [b]was[/b] saying that it could be used against the rest of us who take no part in these terrorist acts.  A valid concern, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#6]
How many terrorist on cross country flights didn't get the opportunity to crash the plane? I would bet that there were several that somehow missed the window of opportunity and just kept on flying. All cross country flights, this morning, should have full background checks on it's occupants.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am not saying who did the attack, because I don't know; no one does. What I am saying is that is gives a rubber stamp for those wanna be tyrants to do WHATEVER they want at this time. If you have been considered "anti-government" I would be very concerned as to what happens in the following days.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#8]
God though, could you imagine if the first plane that struck the towers was meant to force people into the streets during an evacuation so that when the 2nd plane came through it could be a delivery mode for a biological weapon?   Imagine how much worse it could have been if those responsible for this act were able to hatch a plan where airborne biological weapons material was introduced into the area while people were fleeing.

Seriously, we've been hearing for the longest time that terrorism is going to be coming to US shores and that biological agents are a very real threat.   I refuse to underestimate the abilities of the terrorist groups even if a good majority of the US went on with a bit of complacency.

And I'm also afraid as well of what might be done "for our own good" by those that have been elected to office.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#9]
OK I just heard that John McCain was interviewed and said that the american people we will have to give up freedoms to be safe from terrorism. It is now starting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup, but I'm not about to give up my liberty to any new laws that are passed.  I'm still ready to shoot any gun grabbers that come to my door.

Keep your wits about you boys, the tv media is on a roll with this one!
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Agreed, Raf. You are wise. I believe McCain's statement, placed in context, would refer to less freedom in terms of travel and such. I doubt he meant that removing an individuals right to firearms ownership will prevent future skyscraper toplings. Come on...

C6
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree that freedoms will likely suffer long term.  Write your representatives soon and urge them to be calm and use common sense (if that's possible for a pol.) when radical rights- grabbing legislation hits their desks.

It's likely the most radical freedom grabs will come from government agencies that can set some [i]rules[/i] themselves with little congressional involvement.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Agreed, Raf. You are wise. I believe McCain's statement, placed in context, would refer to less freedom in terms of travel and such. I doubt he meant that removing an individuals right to firearms ownership will prevent future skyscraper toplings. Come on...

C6
View Quote

Did the FACT that "assualt weapons" were used in .0002% of crimes stop them from enacting the ban in the first place? Believe me there are those who are going to take advantage of the situation. For example, I would bet that the .50 bmg ban will be passed VERY SOON.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I think this is going to go the other way, Imbroglio.

I see our side and the now awakened Libs suddenly HIGHLY aware of what it means to be able to own a firearm in this country.
The "unknown" in this case is more scary and real than Y2K and its "what if, could be, might happen" feeling.
I think the war on the 2nd Amendment is suspended or, at least, on the back burner for awhile as this attack was against and affected ALL Americans.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maybe the Authorities will be a little too busy with the important stuff to bother with people with legal firearms.  Chill out guys.
View Quote
             and the freedoms he may be refering to could be things such as tight airport security etc........
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#19]
My thoughts exactly Imbroglio. I hope they don't use this a pretext to really gouge our liberties.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I am most worried about some type of "anti-terrorism" bill with all kinds of gun-grab additions tacked on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#21]
well said smokeman
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#22]
well said smokeman
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#23]
If this was done by International Terrorists, they're getting what they want I'm sure. It was said before during other attacks, that one thing Anti-America groups want is for the American people to live in fear. They would love our country to be locked up, freedoms radically changed, etc. These type of reactions, while possibly thwarting a number of future attacks, can never stop terrorism. Look around the world, no country is free from those acts not even Israel.Something else that bothers me is all the speculation that only a "few" terrorist organizations could pull this off. They (Peter Jennings, et. al.) have already been pushing the Osama Bin Laden (sp?) connection above any others. Anyone who believes that it takes "sophisticated" resources and finances to hijack an aircraft doesn't pay attention to this sort of thing very well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Make no mistake, John McLame [b]WILL[/b] be at the forefront of any new anti-whatever legislation.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok, this will be a long one, covering a couple of subjects, but here are my thoughts.

First, I heard a brief mention (may not be true) that FEMA had been activated and they were using their "weapon of mass destruction" protocol.  Of particular interest with regards to freedoms, it is my understanding that that protocol calls for a suspension of the constitution and a declaration of martial law.  Have to wait and see on that one.

With regards to the terrorist act itself, what was the logic of the attack?  I think an act of this magnitude is the type of act that will "wake the sleeping giant".  I don't think any group or government will be willing to take direct responsibility and become the focus of our rage.  This puts us firmly in the camp of Israel as a fellow nation victimized by terrorists.  I don't see anymore support or sympathy for Palestinians cheering at American deaths.  So, where does this lead?  I believe that in addition to causing death & destruction in the U.S., the goal is cement support among the Islamic terrorist groups and to foment a widespread war between all of Islam and the western nations. If they can provoke a response from us that pulls the rest of Islam (who currently don't support terrorism)into a war, they will have achieved their goal.

Finally, I think this will bring about a change in what constitutes an "act of war".  Traditionally, it takes an act by a sovereign nation to legally be an "act of war".  Even if we can't firmly link this to a particular nation, it must still be considered an act of war.  Potentially, this will trigger the treaty obligations of our NATO partners in any military response we may make.  This would be an act of war against the United States.  It would also remove our response from the confines of the Justice Department.  We would not seek to bring criminals to a court and the bar of justice, rather we would simply seek to kill them.  I'll go along with that.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

P.S.  One last thought and caution.  The purpose of Terrorism is to create terror.  If you limit your attacks to well know targets of strategic, financial or political value, than somebody in Podunk, Kansas can rationalize, "I'm safe if I don't go to New York, or Chicago, or Washington D.C., etc.  But if the next bombing is in Topeka, or Boise, or Provo, UT, i.e. rural America, than no one will consider themselves safe anywhere.  I think there is a good chance that we will see another wave of attacks as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Exactly, why so long for someone to claim responsibility?

Step forward and be known.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Because anyone stupid enough to do it would find themselves executed post haste.  Make no mistake, we will exact our pound of flesh from the cowards.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ok, this will be a long one, covering a couple of subjects, but here are my thoughts.

First, I heard a brief mention (may not be true) that FEMA had been activated and they were using their "weapon of mass destruction" protocol.  Of particular interest with regards to freedoms, it is my understanding that that protocol calls for a suspension of the constitution and a declaration of martial law.  Have to wait and see on that one.

View Quote

[url]www.fema.gov/nwz01/nwz01_91.htm[/url]

FEMA Responds to Terrorism Attacks

Washington, D.C. September 11, 2001 -- FEMA is working closely
                                                  with the White House and other federal agencies to provide assistance
                                                  following several apparent terrorism attacks today. High-level meetings
                                                  between senior officials from all federal agencies and the Vice President
                                                  and Condolezza Rice are underway.

An operation plan for these types of acts is in place, and FEMA is
                                                  currently implementing this plan.

FEMA has activated its operations center, and is working closely with
                                                  the FBI's Strategic Operation Information Center (SOIC). FEMA's
                                                  SIOC liaison has been activated.

The Department of Justice has immediate responsibility for crisis
                                                  management. All federal agencies play a role to respond to the affects of
                                                  these attacks as part of the Federal Response Plan, and FEMA will
                                                  coordinate these efforts on behalf of President Bush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top