Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2001 8:40:17 AM EDT
[url]http://wire.ap.org/APnews/main.html?FRONTID=NATIONAL&STORYID=APIS7EB754O0[/url]

Hiroshima Bomber to Be Restored

By DERRILL HOLLY
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Enola Gay, the plane used in the bombing of Hiroshima, is headed for restoration and then display two years from now, much as it looked in 1945.

The plane that ushered in the atomic age was loaded aboard a flatbed trailer Wednesday for transport to a storage and restoration facility in Suitland, Md.

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool. But what will the Japanese say, and wait, that sounds suspiciously like it could be used for patriotic purposes? I didn't know we were still allowed to be patriotic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Built in America. Tested in Japan.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Somebody set up us the bomb.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Let's wait and see, by the time all of the new age do gooders get done wailing and bitching our elected leaders might back off. We've seen it before.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't find the linked story...wish they would put it back in flying condition..
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
launch all zig for great justice

seriously though, I hate to see pics of those airplane junk yards in the desert where they're letting hundreds of WW2 planes rot away

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
launch all zig for great justice

seriously though, I hate to see pics of those airplane junk yards in the desert where they're letting hundreds of WW2 planes rot away

Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

Those planes are long gone.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe I read that the Smithsonian bowed to pressure from the Japs to tone down their 50th anniversary of Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Wouldn't want to offend them. Of course, they might actually have to explain to their kids what happened in the late 30's and 40's. A Japanese exchange student friend of mine in high school was a little shocked to learn of Japanese aggression. They never taught her that Japan attacked US first! At least we admit to our imperialist tendencies in the history books( assuming kids still read them.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top