Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2001 9:49:30 AM EDT
I just got a bunch of ammo from a friend, and it's all pretty corroded. What is the best way to polish this stuff. I got 20 rounds of .223 about 20 rounds of .223 lanks, and a butt load of 9mm. Is it wise to clean it up by hand, or use a tumbler?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is it wise to clean it up by hand, or use a tumbler?
Thanks.
View Quote
[b]Never[/b]  Tumble loaded ammunition in a tumbler!

Many types of cartridge powder have a coating on the outside of the granule that controls the burning rate. Tumbling would cause the granules to strike each other repeatedly and wear off this vital coating. Also of importance is that some granules would be broken apart and change the burn rate.

Polish cartridges by had with a non-water based solvent. If the ammunition does not clean up with wiping and [i]sparing[/i]  use of solvent, discard the ammo in a safe manner.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Use Midway brass polish on a cloth. It cleans very fast and has a fresh citrus scent.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it wise to clean it up by hand, or use a tumbler?
Thanks.
View Quote
[b]Never[/b]  Tumble loaded ammunition in a tumbler!

If you never believe anything else in your life believe this. He is NOT kidding!
Unless you have something on the brass that you can feel/scratch with your thumbnail dont worry about it! You're just going to go shoot it anyway!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally would not shoot the corroded ammo.  I know that it is a lot of ammo/money etc, but what is the value of your gun in case something serious happens, and besides what is your life worth to you.  If it were me, I would toss the ammo. Life is too short already.  Our sport can be dangerous, and "descretion is the better part of valor."  My nickel's worth.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I don't have a tumbler(yet), But the ammo has cleaned up nicely. And Warlord,if I thought that the ammo was unsafe, I wouldn't have asked the question. It is all "98 headstamped,so it's all current.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
current production does not necessarily mean that it is safe.  if it has been subjected to moisture or temperature abuse, then can it. you could get some weak output charges, which can lead to dangerous results.

good luck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Tumbling has in [b]fact[/b] caused many accidents.  When you tumble the loaded ammo you break the powder down inside the case.  It's like turning sand into powder, it changes the physical properties of the propellant which in turn causes SERIOUS over pressure.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top