Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2001 10:20:21 PM EDT
I got no womenz to tell about my day so you will have to hear about that first before I tell about the game.

O.K. so one last time I go to the computer store to see if this damn game is in. The place is packed. On the way in, starting from the parking lot, the FDCGH count is up to already 5 by the time I get to the game section. Lo and behold there it was and I got 1 of the 2 last copies on the shelf. Must be good if they can sell out their entire stock in just 2 days.

I go to the checkout stand and the guy there is staring off into space and doesn't even know I am standing there. I start to get my hopes up that Dawn of the Dead is finally happening and this guy is going to be the first FDCGH (ya he was one of THEM) I get to take out. Right when I was going for one of those cheap chicom screwdrivers on the counter display to jam in his ear, the guy snaps out of it. Aww hell. So I pay the $39.95 and leave the store. Final FDCGH count is 8, an unusually low number. I think these idiots are catching on and shaving off their "I caused the economy to fail" facial identifiers.

The game. Basically you are a U.S. soldier stationed on some island and the Russians start some shit. It is your job to stop them. It has to be one of the most realistic shooter games out. The maps are huge and AI is damn scary. It isn't like most games where the bad guys keep running around aimlessly when you shoot them. I ran into a group of 4 Russians and got pinned down. They split up and were actually trying to flank me. Then another time I took out a sentry along the road and a passing patrol found him. They got out of the car and searched the area. Finding nothing they piled back in and drove off, but left behind a guy who was hiding near the body in case I came back. Night battles with armor support is DAMN neat. Illumination flares, HUGE muzzle flashes and explosions light up the ground.

What sets this apart from games like DF3 is that you can get into vehicles and aircraft to fight. For example with an M60 tank, if you play multi-player you can get 3 people, a commander, gunner/loader, and driver to run the thing. Another realistic feature is shooting. Unlike DF3 where you can run and hop all day long with a m249 and 50lbs of other gear, in this game your guy gets tired from running, especially when you are carrying heavy items. Shooting things aren't very easy either and I have been switching over from 3rb to semi-auto to save ammo and control recoil. A big departure from other shooters (except SOF) is locational damage. I shot this Russian guy in the legs and he was trying to crawl away before I killed him.

The only negative thing I have come across with this game is that Codemasters does not have a dedicated server like Novalogic does. Hell it isn't like they aren't making money. They sold 300,000 units in the 3 months after it was first released in Europe. I really would like to try out a large scale multi-player battle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Imb.- How did it run on your computer?  Were there any issues with framerate.  I'm wondering if mine were because it was an early demo off the web.  I'd like to get the game if I could play it without getting frustrated.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Imbroglio...how did you afford that game?
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I nearly puked after playing the demo.  I am not new to playing FPS games, but this one set my motion sickness bone twanging.

I did enjoy picking off my own men one after the other, until they caught on and all shot me .

Looks like a good game, I will have to invest in some dramamine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell man,I thought Delta Force was the shit.I'll have to try this one out!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Got the demo yesterday but cant get it to play. Belive me needs new 3D card.[>:/]

R35
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:03:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Imbroglio is right on about this one. Operation Flashpoint is GREAT!

Definately the toughest and smartest AI from any game I've ever played. The first 5 games I played, I got worked really fast. You have to take your time, stratagize and think smart.

In sniper mode, you better make it a one shot kill, or the bad guys zero in on your muzzle flash quickly.

Too many cool variables to describe, but I give it 2 thumbs up, 5 stars and the blue ribbon selection of all the real time war sims out there.

P.S.- If you have anything less than a PII 400, don't bother buying it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Imb.- How did it run on your computer?  Were there any issues with framerate.  I'm wondering if mine were because it was an early demo off the web.  I'd like to get the game if I could play it without getting frustrated.
View Quote

I am running at 1024x768x16 very smooth. When I first installed it defaulted to 1280x1024 but it started to get a little choppy in graphics intensive areas.

The box says recommended cpu is P3 600.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Imbroglio...how did you afford that game?
View Quote

I know stuff.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont like only getting to save once per level so i found a work around for unlimited saves.

1.go to the options screen to pause the game.

2. alt tab out to desktop

3. open folder C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Users\1\Saved\campaigns\1985

4. delete file called save.fps

5. alt tab back hit escape to go back to game and escape to the options screen now you can save again

do that every time you want to save and you can save unlimited times per level.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't even know there was a save game function!

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top