Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 9/7/2001 10:07:17 AM EDT
Does anybody know if 17-4 can be magnetized? Where can I look to find out? Any web sites?
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:30:09 AM EDT
17-4 is a precipitation hardening grade stainless with properties similar to T-304, and it's a martensitic steel...meaning yes, it will stick to a magnet, will rust, and should be capable of being magnatized to some extent. What's the application?
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:47:51 AM EDT
Not exactly on the subject, by while the topic of 17-4 is raised . . . . In my search for a custom AR10 Gunsmith, {See AR10 forum [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=48912[/url] I came across a Cali shop where the guy makes his own barrels from {he says} German 17-4. Swears that they're harder, longer lasting. {Dissed Kreiger while he was at it, said their bores only last about 3000 rds?!!} Says his cost on the 17-4 bores is $1200. Says he's about the only guy that has the machining equipment and proper machining techniques, etc. etc. Whatdaya all think about his spiel?
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:19:13 AM EDT
If you're talking about Stewart Wilson at the shooterready.com website, I've seen his AR10s and his work, I'm fairly impressed by his AR10s as a whole but I haven't seen them shoot yet. I do take him at his word when he says that they perform well, he seemed to have a fair amount of knowledge about reaming barrels for specific types of loads and utmost accuracy while seating the bullets to work at magazine length. His barrels are very likely so expensive because he machines the ever loving hell out of them and cryo treats them between machining steps, by the time he turns down to dimension and flutes the things I believe he says that his barrels have been cryo'd something like 6 times! Personally I'm not sure I'm gonna jump on the cyro band waggon or not, I know some who support it and others who argue against it actually doing any significant good. Stewart Wilson uses Blackstar blanks still from the last time I met him and it's still stated on his webpage. When I was talking to him about it he tried to impress upon me why he felt 17-4 was a better steel for barrels, it boils down to sulfur content if I remember correct and that in 416 steels the sulfer can cause the steel to lose consistency in hardness which he attributes to not being very great for a match grade bore and considering the wear that firing bullets can cause. In his opinion the 17-4 is a much more consistent steel for the purposes of machining and making a match grade bore and he prefers to use it above all else. Last I heard Stewart Wilson was looking to get the hell out of Ca., that was a tad over a year ago so I have no clue if he's still in California or if he's relocated to a free state. He's one of the smiths I'm looking at for having make an AR10 upper assembly chambered in 260Rem.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:57:40 AM EDT
Says his cost on the 17-4 bores is $1200. Says he's about the only guy that has the machining equipment and proper machining techniques, etc. etc. Whatdaya all think about his spiel?
View Quote
I think (A) there are 47 ways to make a barrel; all of them wrong....and (B) if instead of a $1200 barrel you bought a $400 barrel and $800 worth of good ammo and shot it up in quality practice, you'd be WAY ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:16:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By uglygun: If you're talking about Stewart Wilson at the shooterready.com website
View Quote
I will say that I don't want to refer to the person by name, out of respect for the fact that I don't know enough about him
When I was talking to him about it he tried to impress upon me why he felt 17-4 was a better steel for barrels . . . . In his opinion the 17-4 is a much more consistent steel for the purposes of machining and making a match grade bore and he prefers to use it above all else.
View Quote
I was wondering if you caught what I posted about "Dissed Kreiger while he was at it, said their bores only last about 3000 rds?!!" What turns me off fast is when someone promotes their product by cutting down another product. That raises a red flag.
He's one of the smiths I'm looking at for having make an AR10 upper assembly chambered in 260Rem.
View Quote
I liked what Celt said: [b]if instead of a $1200 barrel you bought a $400 barrel and $800 worth of good ammo and shot it up in quality practice, you'd be WAY ahead of the game.[/b] Because that "Cali guy" wants over $2000 by the time he's through with the barrel and a few changes. BTW: I don't know where Celt found a $400 barrel {in 7.62mm} but if I found a {Match grade} barrel that was NOT a button barrel for ~ $400 I'd jump ALL over it!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:41:30 PM EDT
I work at a composite company. I am making tooling to help in assembling some of our products. The tools have a very tight slip fit. I am worried that when the tool gets messy with resin and it cures the parts will be stuck together. If I loosened up the fir and magnetized it, it would still hold.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:20:52 PM EDT
ron97ws6, I get what you're saying on all counts. I agree, one of the things that raises a red flag to me real quick is when I see another person overly slam another product all to quickly, especially when it has QUITE a reputation for excellence. Only 3000 rounds through a Krieger? That is indeed hard to swallow. As for accurate barrels, I've been using my custom AR15 for around 3 years now to develop my abilities as a marksman and to make all my mistakes(learning experiences) with while not spending an over abundant amount of money while doing it. I'm to the point now where I am indeed willing to spend a sizable amount of money on a good barrel and basically what one would consider to be a "full tilt" accurized firearm, the 260Rem chambered AR10 will likely be my next stepping stone and I would like to have it made to be as accurate as possible. Do I want to spend the type of money that Stewart Wilson is asking for, not really because I have another smith or two in mind where the options they provide to you are even more diverse and the fees are more realistic. The one rifle where I figure I'm going to need to "relearn" how to shoot will likely be the 300WinMag I plan on getting sometime over the next year, it will take me awhile to learn how to shoot that thing and I'm not going to pay for any additional customization or accuracy if it's just going to goto waste because I'm flinching. I'll definitely spend my money on ammo and spend my time trying to improve as much as possible, however hopefully after around 1500-1800 rounds when the barrel is burning out I'll be at a level where I can have the rifle accurized and actually have it be worthwhile in the end when the accurized rig comes back and my abilities should be to a point where I can further track my improvement with a no-compromises rifle. I kept an eye on your thread in the AR10 forum, you should take a look at JP Enterprises again as I'm pretty sure what you're looking for they already do on their AR10s they have now. What they do on the AR10 is basically a "clean up"(if you feel the AR10 needs it) job where they install a new freefloat tube while checking everything out and then installing their gas block and their muzzle brake if you so desire. Fees for that service are probably fairly realistic if you're providing them a rifle you already own.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 5:23:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By uglygun: ron97ws6, I get what you're saying on all counts. . . . . I kept an eye on your thread in the AR10 forum, you should take a look at JP Enterprises again as I'm pretty sure what you're looking for they already do on their AR10s they have now . . . . .
View Quote
Thank you for the nice post. JP Enterprises is on my short list!
Top Top