Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2001 10:24:04 AM EDT
What animal has caused the most deaths to people in the US this year? Yes, you guessed it! It's that cute furry woodland creature the white-tailed deer. They beat out sharks, bears, large cats, and emus.

It seems that when shot the white-tailed deer will play dead. Then when the drunk/dumb hunter comes over to make sure the deer is really dead, he finds out it isn't.

Probably some deaths are caused by deer jumping out into the road and freezing in your path. Going down the road at 55+ mph means you either go off the road and kill yourself or hit the deer hurting yourself, damaging your car, and possably getting killed anyway.

If this keeps up these pesky white-tailed deer could put a dent in the human population and even show our rate of overpopulating the earth. These white-tailed deer are even a larger threat then lawn gnomes!
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
what part of that was "liberal dogma"? the part about "drunk/dumb hunters"?

personally, i think there are already plenty of people in the world, and if the deer want to fight back, more power to 'em. can we send them into downtown where they'd really do some good?
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never walked over to a deer I shot, and it still be alive, that's probably because I [b]BLOW GREAT BIG HOLES IN THEM![/b]  Or maybe I'm just too drunk to notice, I don't know, one or the other.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]
beekeeper, i have no objection to people shooting deer for food. but i have noticed lately there are   a LOT of people in the woods near where i live, and I for one wish they would go away. and chill out with the name-calling, please.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't mean all hunters are drunk and/or dumb, only the ones that get killed by deer.

Probably most are killed by the deer on the roads, but some are actually killed by deer playing dead. At least that's what the news said.

Who knows, maybe all the hunters that got killed by the deer were not drunk but stoned out of their minds.

Please don't rag on me now that I am sterotyping hunters as stoners too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]
"Revenge of the Killer Bucks" LOL!  Just imagine, I sat there for several hours being as quiet and still as possible just to get close, and got gored by a Killer whitetail.  LOL!
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
emus?!?! are you talking about the big funky ass gray bard?

What do poeple trip over them when they have there heads it the ground?[?]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#12]
killjoy, the more you post on this subject the more ignorant you make youself sound. Have you ever even seen a deer other than on television or in a zoo?
So far beekeeper is the only one in this thread that knows what the Hell he is talking about and people are pissing at him for being rude. Chriiiiiiiiiiist.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I have seen a deer. It jumped out in front of my car and just froze there. No, it was not a white-tailed deer. I have no idea why that one guy is hung up on the emu. I could have just as easily said hampster. And no, my head has never "it the ground".

If you guys don't believe TV then who can you trust? TV provides warmth and laughfter. TV is the babysitter. TV gave us Palm Beach Florida live with all the old people screwing up. How could all of you turn your backs on TV like that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Deer are not intelligent animals.  They do NOT play dead. Trust me.

When deer are shot they run.  They run until they die, night falls, or they recover from the initial shock of a non-fatal shot.  
The only time a deer will be dangerous to a hunter is while it is thrashing around on the ground.  Or if it is cornered while on the run.  

A thrashing deer may stop moving until the hunter approaches, but the deer will resume thrashing when he sees the hunter.

Stories of injured deer ambushing people are exaggerated or else outright lies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#15]
The buck I shot two years ago was shot in self-defense. I was considering calling the warden and asking for another permit because I felt that I was forced to shoot the one I did.
I had been watching the deer for about fifteen minutes at close to 10 yards. I didn't have a shot because it was sky-lined. Once I made the decision to take him "Iwo-Jima" style and rush him, he decided to take a stroll down the path I was on.
To make a long story short, I had leaned behind the tree to give him time to move where I'd have a safe background for a shot, and had no idea he would get so close. Once he came around the tree and acknowledged me (who's eyes were bigger, his or mine, I'll never know) he braced himself, dug in and charged. I couldn't even get my rifle to my shoulder because of how close he was, just held the rifle (Winchester 94) out and pulled the trigger. Had to do some fancy footwork to back-peddle and lever in another round. He passed me, fell down and slid into the river. Talk about an adrenaline rush! Of course that was the easy part, getting a dead deer to help paddle the canoe back up the river was impossible.
Best hunt of my life. I could see how someone in some extreme cases might have faired poorly
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I hate to take sides but deer hunting is my cup of tea. I have been deer hunting since I was 9 years old. Lets see I'm 42 and 9 minus 42 is 33 I think. Sorry, I'm just one of those dumb deer hunters. I was taught by my dad at an early age to approach a deer with caution. I may be wrong but I have never heard of anyone being attacked by a deer. I have seen a deer play dead one time since I've been hunting but when he got up lets just say he didn't play dead the next time. I love to hunt because there's nothing like climbing 30 ft. up a tree on a cold frosty morning and waiting for the deer of a life time to come walking out. Its my way of unwinding from the yearly stress from work. As far as name calling is concern I stay away from that as much as possible. That's one thing I like about ar-15.com, you have freedom of expression. That's my two cents worth. Flames away if you please. Take Care

Moose
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Come on folks. Based on that last post killjoy must be pulling our chain. No one is [i]that[/i] stupid.
Come on killjoy, which one of the real members are you?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#19]
he's been pulling your chain from the start, look at the original post. i responded to a silly joke with another silly joke, and got called a "public school indoctrinated juvenile" by someone who knows absolutely nothing about me. small wonder people call us gun NUTS. sigh.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#20]
mhmmm trolls
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah!.......BEWARE!!!! you`re in for some of the BEST eatin`...of you`re ENTIRE LIFE................(play dead....RIGHT)...............[NI]                 99.9% of those "deaths"....are due to stupid human tricks such as swerving to avoid a deer in the roadway, hitting a tree, while not wearing a seatbelt, because you are a country redneck who drives 80 mph on the backroads and SHOULD KNOW BETTER.........the other .1% is by stupid human tricks such as going into a pen of "tame" deer when the buck is in rut, and you THINK he`s your friend.......go ahead, BLAME THE DEER!!!!!!!!!!........IDIOTS!.........[bounce]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[center][img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/037/BW/Uo/tQ/kG49787.jpg[/img][/center]

[center][b][size=4]"BREAK OUT THE M-60, GUYS!!!"[/b][/size=4][/center]
[center][b][size=4]"THEY'RE COMING RIGHT AT US!!!"[/b][/size=4][/center]
View Quote

How the hell did you manufacture that picture!!
I thought they were elk until I saw the white faces.
That has got to be a fake, there could never be that many non-typical HUGE mulies in the same place, even pre rut, in land like that. You know how much forage big boys like that have to eat?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I love it when people who know nothing about the subject become experts because of T.V. Odds are the T.V. reporter does'nt know jack about the subject either. I'm willing to bet the 99.9% previously mentioned for the auto wrecks is correct. The less than 1% is most likely the urban and suburban "hunters" that spend about 1 weekend a year in the woods. Hell, I like the idea of "killer deer", adds a little excitement to the outdoors.[uzi]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I've done my share of deer hunting.  Okay, I'll have done my share when I'm rotting in my grave.  But still, I've seen a pile of doe bounce off in one direction while the buck was slowly sneaking off quietly in another.  That tells me they have some intelligence.  Okay, it tells me that and that my partner made too much noise [:D].

Playing dead might be a lot to expect though.  They're prey, and dead prey get eaten.  I've heard my share of stories as well though.  Deer that get shot and fall, run 20 yards and fall, run a mile and fall.  And even those that get up when you're about to cut their throats and run for awhile and fall again.

Isn't too far of a stretch to think that getting hit with a bullet knocks them down and puts them into a form of shock... only to "snap out of it" when the predator is at their throats.

Stupid deer get shot on the first couple days of the season.  The rest take a while.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
emus?!?! are you talking about the big funky ass gray bard?

What do poeple trip over them when they have there heads it the ground?[?]
View Quote

LMFAO
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 5:31:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
99.9% of those "deaths"....are due to stupid human tricks such as swerving to avoid a deer in the roadway, hitting a tree, while not wearing a seatbelt, because you are a country redneck who drives 80 mph on the backroads and SHOULD KNOW BETTER.........the other .1% is by stupid human tricks such as going into a pen of "tame" deer when the buck is in rut, and you THINK he`s your friend.......go ahead, BLAME THE DEER!!!!!!!!!!........IDIOTS!.........[bounce]
View Quote

Actually I have never known a redneck to drive fast.  Usually they tool along at about 35-40 MPH in a 55 zone.  They also drive trucks, and would be happy to thump a deer.  MA, PAW, WERE EATIN GRUB TONIAHHHT.

The deer fatalities come from idiotic suburban/urban women who would rather impale their corpses on a tree than cream Bambi.  I have seen it happen.  

I even had to train my wife what to do when she is about to hit a deer.  I am not about to lose my family over some dumb doe in the road.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#27]
The deer fatalities come from idiotic suburban/urban women who would rather impale their corpses on a tree than cream Bambi. I have seen it happen.

I even had to train my wife what to do when she is about to hit a deer. I am not about to lose my family over some dumb doe in the road.
View Quote

Ditto, My wife almost killed me trying to miss an opossum.  I told her if it aint a Human running out there don't hit the tree hit the animal!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, come on out to my place, I`ll show you MANY MANY rednecks who know there is no posted speed limit!......( the urban/suburban ones are speeders too)
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#30]
The kamikaze deer are actually dangerous--the ones who leap out in front of cars, let alone motorcycles. There are a lot of injuries to people who smack into them every year.

The car is traveling at 60 mph or so, the deer weighs 100 lbs, and it can go through the windshield.

Saw the car in front of me smack a deer a year or so ago; the damage to the car was impressive. The deer was conked out for ten or fifteen minutes. Had a broken leg and extensive road rash. Eventually it started coming to, and had to be killed. And there I was without even a pocket knife, in shorts and a t-shirt. Luckily some coasties stopped and they had a knife to cut its throat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I hit a deer flat on with my Jeep Cherokee a few years ago.  I was going about 50.  The car got dinged a little, and the grille and radiator broke, but I was able to drive back home ok.  

The deer just got knocked straight away.  We were perfectly safe.

I think that the more fuel efficient cars are required to be, the smaller they will become and the more people will die from hitting deer.  My cousin hit a deer a few weeks ago with her Subaru.  The half the deer ended up in the passengers seat.

Get a truck for the wife and kids and be safe.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I love it when people who know nothing about the subject become experts because of T.V. Odds are the T.V. reporter does'nt know jack about the subject either. I'm willing to bet the 99.9% previously mentioned for the auto wrecks is correct. The less than 1% is most likely the urban and suburban "hunters" that spend about 1 weekend a year in the woods. Hell, I like the idea of "killer deer", adds a little excitement to the outdoors.[uzi]
View Quote

My dad likes to point out every time on the news they give a sports score and there is some very obvous error and the person just seems to be reading from a telaprompter. BTW, I am not a liberal anti-gun person, I just want to stay at the top of the food chain, that's all! Well that and when I heard about it I tought it sounded funny. Those antlers have gotta be there for more than just decoration, right?

BTW, I love that deer pic.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't you guys worry we are killin them off like rabits up here in WI we got 6 this last weekend for early season. during regular season this year we can take 3 and there is going to be a post season to!!! We will keep them down, Now I think it was last year but we only had to buy a buck tag and we got 5 extra permits baid for by the insurance companys!!! (or so I was told)Anyhow deer are a major cause of car crashes exc. in 98 I had one on the top of my old jeep one in the hatch and I hit one on the way home!!! They are everywhere up here.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#34]
OK,

2 funny "When Deer Attack" stories.  While I was @ Marine Basic School in Quantico we had a coupe of incidents.  The first was during a night land navigation exercise.  It's pitch black, except for the glow of our little compass tritium.  There's another LT a few yards away from me when I hear this huffing.  Not being a deer hunter I had no idea what it was.  Well, I guess this other LT got too close to a buck & the darn thing charged him.  I heard the huffing, then something big moving inthe brush, then a thud, a scream, and someone rolling around on the ground.  It was summer time so maybe the thing didn't have antlers, cause the guy just got knocked on his butt.

Second incident was at the end ot TBS.  We had a company of 200 LT's (yeah I know scary thought) on a 25 mile march retracing  one of Stonewall Jackson's famous charges.  We're at abt mile 23 so we can "smell the barn", walking down between 2 fence rows, when we see 3 does on one side of the road.  Well, the first 2 does jump the fence row, run across the road between 2 platoons, jump the 2nd fence & stand on the other side wiating on #3.  #3 gets all upset cause she's on her own now with 30 guys in cammie's between her & her friends.  She runs circles a few times, gather speed, jumps the first fence, plows straight through the platoon of Marines knocking them over like bowling pins, jumps fence #2 & off the 3 of them run.

Now that was funny, and it is for real.  My enlisted men always enjoyed that story, the thought of one doe kicking a dozen butter bar's butts must have fulfilled several daydreams....  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Wish you guys would stop bashing the EMUS.

Respect diversity.  Hunt *all* kinds of animals.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ok that was pretty rude to say beekeeper
View Quote

I agree--it was very rude to stereotype and portray hunters in that manner.  
View Quote
                                          Let`s bring out the OLD stuff......[:K]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I actually know of 2 stories where humans where killed by white tails one was in Wisconsin.  A buck had killed a hiker and had to be shot in order to recover the body.

The other was in Michigan.  A fellow who raised comercial venison was gored and killed by one of his bucks.

That's why I never go into the woods without a firearm or bow.  

Brown is down.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then when the drunk/dumb hunter comes over to make sure the deer is really dead, he finds out it isn't.

If this keeps up these pesky white-tailed deer could put a dent in the human population and even show our rate of overpopulating the earth.
View Quote

[size=6][b]TROLL ALERT!!
TROLL ALERT!![/b][/size=6]

Spouting liberal dogma--go away troll.
View Quote

?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Read the whole thing.  I have no idea how this old thread was revived.  Read it, I think you will agree.  Killjoy was maybe just having fun, but if that was true I had no way of knowing that when it was first posted.  As an avid deer hunter I am very touchy about perceived attacks.  
View Quote

As I said earlier I just thought it was kind of funny about the deer. At the time I wasn't aware of all of the sh*t hunters take so I didn't realize it would be taken the wrong way. My bad.

My intent is to cotribute content (and maybe some content-free content) and have fun, but not at your expence. Did anyone see my pic in the new Babe of the day? Ah, you all probably have seen it elsewhere. Well at any rate before you go to bed tonight make sure to check under you bed for any deer!
---
Trolljoy [:K]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#41]
deer r dum
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#42]
M4, What kind of steriods are those "deer" on?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Actually I have never known a redneck to drive fast.  Usually they tool along at about 35-40 MPH in a 55 zone.  They also drive trucks, and would be happy to thump a deer.  MA, PAW, WERE EATIN GRUB TONIAHHHT.
View Quote

My dad and I hunted with a guy from the local gunshop a few times who swore that pushing the accelerator pedal was just like pulling the trigger. He drove this ratty old Ford pickup with a brushguard on the front and "harvested" a couple every year that way. He was a pretty good guy to hunt with but you didn't ever want to let him drive.
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've never walked over to a deer I shot, and it still be alive, that's probably because I [b]BLOW GREAT BIG HOLES IN THEM![/b]  Or maybe I'm just too drunk to notice, I don't know, one or the other.
View Quote

LMAO!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#46]
One time I had an enraged rabbit rip the whole sleeve off my M65 field jacket when I tried to pick it up.  And, I still limp from the mauling I got from that red squirrel.  The worst, though, the absolute worst, was this mangled hand I got from a four pound perch.

I haven't been able to watch "The Birds" for twenty years now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#47]
You forgot "occifer I swervedyy to avoid that beeer......err deeer".

I got sent to a car deer crash....find randy the redneck next to his '76 pacer holding a hammer near a deer with 1 antler missing, now he's a lobsided 5 pointer. Deer is down in the median, alive, looking at me, but not moving. Say randy, the redneck, were you the one who hit the deer? Randy, why no, but I saw it here so I tried to put it out of its misery by hitting in the head with my hammer. Go back to deer to check it, see if it needs to be put down. This time when I get close it gets up runs across the road and slams intoa guardrail, it bounces of anthen jumps the gaurdrail and goes into the woods. Say randy, that deer would probably have missed the gaurdrail if yo hadn't installed a concussion..............

Another time get sent to a call.....Go to (address) meet the subject there, he says he found a dead deer by the side of the road yesterday. He put it in his car and took it home (like 16-20 hours ago). He was going to call in to have it tagged....... when he went out to the car to get it he heard it kicking around inside the hatchback. He wants to know if you can shoot the deer so he can get it out of the car and tag it..........never got to this call something about a DNR Warden wanting to ask Einstien some questions.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Really...got to watch them perch.....they got them there gnarly teeth.......[stick]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top