Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2001 10:05:45 PM EDT
Can you have more that 4 drives installed? I'm not talking about partitions, I want a 5th device.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:11:52 PM EDT
Depends, can your tower physicaly fit it and if your operating system will allow it. Most likely you can, but what the hell are you downing that you need that much storage?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:19:48 PM EDT
I'm running win2k with 2hd and 1cd 1burner. I'll be receiving a replacement for a failed 30gig drive soon and I don't want to waste it. Besides, it would be cool. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:21:47 PM EDT
yeah, you can probably do it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:34:32 PM EDT
[url]http://www.pcguide.com/forums[/url]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:42:49 PM EDT
"You need an unused 5-volt power connector and an open EIDE port. Almost all recent PCs come with primary and secondary EIDE channels built into the motherboard. Each channel supports up to two drives on a single cable. Jumper settings define each drive as "master" or "slave." If you need more than four drives, you'll have to install an add-in card such as the Promise Ultra100 TX2." [url]http://www.pcworld.com/features/article/0,aid,55643,pg,7,00.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:55:50 PM EDT
It can be done a couple of ways. Since you already have four devices and are asking this question, I presume they are all IDE. You would have to add a second IDE controller and occupy TWO sets of IRQs and I/O ports, but there is an easier way... If you get a SCSI controller, it will occupy only one set of IRQ-I/O ports, and you can have either 7 or 15 devices on it. If you are thinking of future upgradability, you are better off going tothe SCSI interface in the long run - SCSI is easier to expand and easier to configure overall. Also, it is easier to install TWO SCSI controllers than ONE additional IDE controller... FFZ
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 9:20:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FreeFireZone: It can be done a couple of ways. Since you already have four devices and are asking this question, I presume they are all IDE. You would have to add a second IDE controller and occupy TWO sets of IRQs and I/O ports, but there is an easier way... If you get a SCSI controller, it will occupy only one set of IRQ-I/O ports, and you can have either 7 or 15 devices on it. If you are thinking of future upgradability, you are better off going tothe SCSI interface in the long run - SCSI is easier to expand and easier to configure overall. Also, it is easier to install TWO SCSI controllers than ONE additional IDE controller... FFZ
View Quote
Will a SCSI controller go in the existing motherboard? IRQs are hard to come by. I just built this sucker not too long ago and I didn't even think about going SCSI. [>(]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 9:49:14 PM EDT
Ever considered FireWire (1394)? The external drives are getting pretty cheap nowadays, and boy, is it expandable! [IMG]http://the-tech.mit.edu/Macmade/macmade-blk.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 8:58:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2001 8:59:37 AM EDT by Atencio]
you gonna spend all this money on SCSI or firewire to have more hard drives. Just buy larger( 75gig+) ide hard drive. Be cheaper in the long run
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 2:46:09 PM EDT
It's also possible to hook an IDE device up to an old Sound Blaster card with built in IDE. The only odd thing about it is that you'll have to partition and format the drive while it's hooked up to the primary or secondary IDE channel. After that's done, Windows will see it fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 4:16:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 4:26:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 4:28:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Skibane: Ever considered FireWire (1394)? The external drives are getting pretty cheap nowadays, and boy, is it expandable! [IMG]http://the-tech.mit.edu/Macmade/macmade-blk.gif[/IMG]
View Quote
The only reason I'm asking is I already have this equipment. I have PLENTY of disk space but when the replacement drive gets here(30gig) I don't want to let it sit. I can put it in my wife's machine thats on the network but some of you are overlooking the coolness and power factor [8D] An IDE card shouldn't be more that 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 4:49:24 PM EDT
Basic rules (there are variations): IDE: 2 devices per controller (Master and Slave) SCSI: 7 devices per controller SCSI2: 15 devices per controller Current most motherboards have 2 IDE controllers built in, therefore you can have 4 IDE devices. You can add another IDE controller and get a total of 6 IDE devices (i.e. SoundBlasters). But you do run into problems with IRQ's and DMA conflicts. IDE Pros: Cheap. Cons: not many devices, slow SCSI Pros: Many Devices, fast Cons: Expensive There are exceptions, but those are the basics. Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:51:33 PM EDT
This is how I have one of my PC's configured. Four IDE devices: all 4 hard drives (60,45,40,30) SCSI Card: CD-rom and CDRW I also use removable hard drive racks rated at ATA-100 so I can swap out other hard drives easily.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:03:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:32:25 PM EDT
Go SCSI! You can have up to 15 drives per CHANNEL on SCSI-3, and 3-channel drives that use only one IRQ are reasonably affordable. I operate a Storage Area Network (SAN) that uses a 6-channel controller. We've got 52 36-GB drives on it and room for more. That said, there's a lot you can do with 4 inexpensive IDE drives on an inexpensive motherboard.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:51:10 PM EDT
Top Top